Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cadi px130 keys stay down

Trying to help repair a Casio piano. It was moved by "professionals" and now nearly a dozen keys in various places are uneven or fully in the down position.

Is this something I can fix myself by disassembly/ reassembly or does it indicate broken parts?

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bif.

If it helps.... my px330 (just like the one in video) when i bought it new i accidently picked one end up by the keys.

I had say about 3 keys held in my fingers which made them permanantly depressed. Being brand new I didnt want to pull it apart even though i have pulled apart many keyboards. It was brand new. Didnt want to go inside a new board.

So i figured to take great care and massage them back into place. I remember feeling a reasuring relocation feeling.

I was extremely carefully and ready to give up and dissasemble if I felt i was forcing it.

Anyway to this day i cant tell which i fixed and its still my gigging board. After seeing that video I can see why it worked.

If you try it dont be heavy handed. If it doesnt feel it wants to go bnb back in give up and pull apart.

I offer this as an example of what i did not a "do this"

If you try it and you stuff up its on your perogative that you did. Don't try it if you feel worried.

Good luck

Looking at the video i can see that holding those 3 keys in my fingers with the full weight of the keyboard that keyboard weight and gravity and finger smooshing pulled them out of the locating socket.

This will be a common malady with these keyboards. And i have heard many people with that problem. For me an easy fix.

A few years ago i bought a busted px330 for spares (it even had gravel rash on some keys as if it had been dragged on the ground). I figured a set of keys as spares a good idea. But upon seeing the video i figure most of these boards with dislocated keys will be fixable without replacements. Thats a reasurring knowledge.

Edit: The spare i picked up i was hoping it might just need an easy fix to leave in the bands gig room. It didnt have a power pack with it so my first hope was putting my pack on it i might be able to trouble shoot.

Well the lights whent thru the montions only to stall at the end of the routine. A look around the net indicated this was indication of the main board being dead. I havent bothered pulling it apart because of that reason as i have too many projects lying around to have a dissaembled one too. Also the mainboard is sposed to be expensive especially in Australia and not obtainable here.

Being my own board is in the bands practise room miles away in this lockdown with people dropping daily here i cant access my power pack to do any further checking on this buggered one. And of coarse the casio pack is more specific and not one of the dozens of spare power packs i have here. None i could convert to the casio.

So if any one reading this has any knowledge on the mainboard would be nice. The general thought on the net is just buy a cheap working used keyboard. Normally thats best advice but in Australia we dont have the glut of used boards available. Our finding a specific keyboard used is purely by luck and often 1000 miles away. And used here is so much dearer than in the states where we have a small population in a country the size of the States. Sure stuff is around but not if you are specifically chasing a board.

'escaperocks and Aussiekeys,

Thank you for your help. Both posts were useful. I was able to tear the board down but it was not simple misalignment or easily identifiable loose parts. I was doing this while on vacation and with limited tools (and working on a chair, ugh). I gave up but will break into again when the owner can bring it back to me when they are visiting my home. I'll have more time, tools and patience then.

FWIW, I found additional useful info on a site called bustedgear.com. They had a thorough instruction with photos that was useful. They have quite a few resources on parts and repairs. Could be helpful to others here.

Thanks again,

Greg

David,

Thank you for that offer. I'm fairly certain nothing is broken, just loose.

The "Paul Harvey rest of the story" is I was in Florida visiting my daughter and son-in-law. They were in the midst of moving (to a newly purchased home) and they were going to throw the board away! I thought I'd fix easily fix it. I was pretty frustrated just getting it opened up. I also disconnected the two ribbon cables that run from the keybed to the PC board and kind of lost my mind when I saw there wasn't a connector on the end of the ribbon cables. (You're probably laughing at me right now, but that's ok.) Fatigue, poor lighting, poor work surface and doing all this at 11 at night was a recipe for failure.

The focus changed the next day to helping them move. After some rest and reconsidering how to get back into it, I told them to bring it next time they drive to visit us. It may be a while, but I'll be back in it when they do.

Thank you again for always being helpful. I appreciate it.

Greg

You"re welcome.

Wow. Quite the story. No worries, I won"t laugh.

My 'repair knowledge' has been obtained thru much trial and error.

Hope the kids get moved in okay and the weather doesn"t hamper all that.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage