Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just finished doing a test with MIDIable. Think of it this way: a Zoom call, with video, audio, etc. - and a drop-down menu for choosing MIDI I/O. Athan Billias from Yamaha was playing on a keyboard in California, and triggering a piano sound on my MIDI synthesizer here in Tennessee. What's notable is unlike audio, there's virtually no latency because MIDI data is so compact.

The opportunities this opens up for online music education, master classes, etc. are huge. With Standard MIDI Files, you could even have online concerts that played back through the listener's synthesizer. For example at one point I decided I want to hear something other than piano, so while Athan was playing, I flipped through presets.

It's easy to grok what this is about intellectually, but when it actually happens, and your synth is being played by someone 2,000 miles away with virtually no latency, it's pretty mind boggling.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is MIDIable the app/program you're using? I don't see anything searching google.

You won't yet, it's still in the testing stage. Y'all are the first in the general public to know :)

Sounds rather fascinating and no doubt could be fun and open up a lot of possibilities!

Imagine what happens when you can send controllers from point A to point B. I could mix your song by sending controller data to your faders, while we talk about whether you like the changes or not. And I could overdub a keyboard part if you wanted...

There's also an ability to "broadcast." A lot of the topics I cover in books would be better served by broadcasting an instructional, real-time session with Q&A.

(BTW another interesting 2.0 nugget - I've heard rumors, although I can't verify, that some companies are working on firmware updates for current MIDI 1.0 gear to acquire varying degrees of 2.0 functionality.)

this is making my head spin :o

Craig can send a CC message to make it spin in the opposite direction.

:D

We still need a MIDI 2.0 DJ controller to do that, but I'm sure we'll have one eventually :)

I wonder if Thomas Dolby was in on the development somehow?

Since MIDI can operate just about anything - and with the new spec being so much more robust and fine-tunable...and with remote hookups...maybe a lot more than synths could be remote-controlled via MIDI.

MIDI is so, as you say, compact and clean and small-bandwidth.

Could be MIDI is heading into it's own Second Life, here.

nat

I wonder if Thomas Dolby was in on the development somehow?

Not as far as I know.

Since MIDI can operate just about anything - and with the new spec being so much more robust and fine-tunable...and with remote hookups...maybe a lot more than synths could be remote-controlled via MIDI.

There are a lot of options. Few people realize that MIDI 1.0 controls the fountains at the Bellagio, did the control for the Broadway play "Miss Saigon," and is used in theme parks. So yeah...it's pretty versatile :)

Could be MIDI is heading into it's own Second Life, here.

It never really left its first one :), but you're right, much of the MIDI 2.0 spec is reserved for future "just in case" scenarios (e.g., VR applications).

(Tom comes in late to the party.)

Wow. MIDI over IP makes so much sense, I am amazed (embarrassed) we weren't doing this 20 years ago.

I think the major advantage of MIDI over analog, besides "compactness," is that there is no codec processing involved.

Any idea whether the data are being sent out as UDP versus TCP? (My guess would be the peppier but less bulletproof UDP.)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I knew this would happen 10 years ago. That's why I got http://liveglobaljam.com

Dan

Yes, using MIDI for collaboration has been a thing...but including it as a drop-down in a Zoom-type call is pretty cool. If webMIDI gets traction, that will change things even more.

As retirement is now looming I'm wondering what the potential for part time employment might be with my musicianship and technical skills in relationship to the advances taking place with MIDI? I realize that's a fairly vague and open ended question but I'm looking for what people might think is ahead in the "new normal" future where tech marches on.

I've often considered the possibility of getting an audition with a national touring act of some kind but that's obviously not a reality for a while yet perhaps and might even be more than I want to commit too. I knew I could run an amp/equipment repair shop if I were to stay where I'm at but I'm definitely moving out west where I won't have any connections, reputation or history. Perhaps there will be opportunities in programming apps/programs/hardware controllers?