Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lest We Forget � "Goodnight Irene"

There's a keyboard player named George Rossi who seems to know people from at least four different periods in my life, but whom I've never met in person. This goes all the way back to us going to the same boarding school in PA separately, knowing some of the same folks from New York state and Boston (Dave Weiser is a common acquaintance) and even reaches into the forum (Josh Paxton knows him).

Brother George is involved in a syndicated TV entertainment project called LEST WE FORGET; It's premise being a tribute to those who have recently deceased within the previous calendar year. I saw a video of "Goodnight Irene" they did to celebrate Dr. John, and wanted to share it.

This is the first and only take...no fixes, overdubs, punches or auto-tune. Just the band, playing live. :2thu:

[video:youtube]

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"You can hang out in my country all night long!" What a great performance. Thanks for sharing, dB.

I saw the installment of this series about Kofi Burbridge and it was wonderful, but tough. Watching Nigel Hall break down and cry was more than I could bear.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I discovered George through Josh recently, and saw that we had a lot of common friends on the FB. He nails the Booker stuff as well. Maybe someday we will meet him in person.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Excellent! George is an old friend from back in the day. He and I both "did time" with the Wild Magnolias in the late '90sâearly '00s, and let's just say that the bond between musicians who went through that band is similar to the bond between soldiers who've seen heavy action.

He told me a funny story about this session. Apparently whoever put it together booked a 4-hour session, expecting to cut the song together in bits and pieces. But George got the band ready to record it live and nail it in one take. And after they did, he just got in his car and left. I deeply respect that level of confidence.

After the last piano tinkly bits of the first (and future only) take faded out, I placed my cans on the piano and announced "OK. That's a wrap everybody. Lets go home".

The "producer" ran into the recording room, apoplectic.

"Don't you want to even listen to the playback?!?"

Me: "Why? I already heard it."

And out into the night I went.

George, you're in Syracuse these days? You ever play in the area? I mean, not right now, but under Normal Circumstances? You're not that far from me, and now that I've seen you play, I would definitely make the trip to catch you in person.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Loved everything about this. Might have been dynamite if the whole band had dropped out at 2:45 and come back in after the first "spend the night in your country." Just speculatin'. The piano dropping out sort of suggests something like that and made me want even a more complete break.

The whole group is so in the pocket. Maybe it's the mix but the drums are what most caught my ear, could listen to that shuffle all day.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Cool Idea. If we ever play this again, I'm stealing it, if you don't mind.

Ah,,,the drummer, Mark Tiffault, is probably the greatest shuffle drummer I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He did a bunch of tours with John Lee Hooker, and is the most STUDIED blues drummer I know... Encyclopedic knowledge of every shuffle ever played, and can execute everyone of them with pinpoint accuracy.

He had major back surgery, and when this was taped, was no where near recovered; he still isn't and probably never will be. He was in excruciating pain through out.

But it was important for the both of us to get something on video and audio that was semi decent...we were runnin' podners for many years, and this was like a mini family reunion of sorts. Probably the last time we'll get to play together.

Yes, I've been back for awhile, but...haven't been doing the "live" thing much....just little spot guest shots every now and then to keep me honest.

I have been wotking on a new Shuffling Hungarians record (Oh Yeah, although not credited properly, the actual name of the band is "Little Georgie And The Shuffling Hungarians") for the past three years, but ran into some major roadblocks along the way...health and money, frankly. But I'm back on track. Agreeing to do LESS WE FORGET, aside from the honor of honoring Mac, also afforded me the opportunity to try and put a band together that was capable of supporting the possible upcoming record, and end up with a little video evidence to start a minor awareness campaign.

So...we'll definitely be playing, if playing is possible next spring, summer, and we'll probably hit the Haunt at somepoint, if its still around. No need to make the drive, because I'm sure we'll be coming to you.