Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

They�re always trying to sell you something...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that freaked me out is when I started getting email from Google Maps about my updates. At first I thought I don't use google maps so I just deleted. A couple months ago I decided to read the email and was so shocked it was a map of all the places I have gone to in the past few years. This included when I still lived in L.A. so that's at least six years ago. Restaurants, concert venues, stores, everything. So I guess they are saving GPS info from my smartphone. So I look and you can limit how far back you can have it keep the data, like I believe they are really going to delete anything. So I set it to only I think 90 days. I get another email from them last week then time post stay at home so the map is almost empty and only things are grocery store, doctor, and lots of drive thru's for food. As much as I go to El Pollo Loco I should get frequent flyer miles.

Nothing we can do about this because everyone is doing it the corporations are worse than the government at this point at tracking you and selling data to marketing companies and others. I see a few years down the road ad's for Apple or Google toilets checking your "output" and selling the data to insurance companies.

I'm on satellite ISP which does not reveal your location. Google, FB, and other data theft corporations can't use it for marketing. Try as they can, they're not even close.

I switched to DuckDuckGo not only because it doesn't collect data, but I discovered that FB and Google were exchanging marketing data. If I searched for something on Google while FB was open, within hours I would see ads on FB directly related to the aforementioned Google search.

As a result, I always close FB before surfing other websites.

I recently switched to DuckDuckGo for my browsing activities. It made an immediate and noticeable difference. I know, a small victory against the tide.

This for one, a good move!

I am now considering Brave Browser as well.

If you are using your phone as an internet connection you are just giving it to them. I've never logged onto the interwebz with my phone, I don't get location targeted ads.

I figure if I got lost I could log in to find out where I am and then shut it off again. I have a Garmin for travel anyway, it doesn't seem to know anything except where I am supposed to go.

Also no Fakebook, for me a worthless waste of time.

It was only a few weeks ago here on MPN that I mentioned a product and another poster got an ad for it on their gmail within minutes. That is the level of scrutiny currently, it will probably get worse.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's not just an internet browser or Facebook or whatever. It applies to anything and everything you do outside your home as well. A simple doc visit can generate bunch of phone calls and e-mails from places you've never been to. Last year I found an injured baby bird and took it to a local animal rescue place in Pasadena. I made a HUGE mistake and put my actual address and phone number on a form they gave me. Within a few days, I got hit with a massive tsunami of calls and physical mail from pretty much any agency that had anything to do with animals, insects and even Kangaroos in Australia. They completely hijacked my mailbox. It got so bad that if I didn't clear the mail box everyday, the mailman couldn't put my actual mail in the box and would just throw them on the ground. Some important documents got wet. It took me a lot of phone calls and a long time to regain control over my mail situation. Lesson learned. It's a lot less work to raise the baby bird yourself.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I guess it"s even worse if you"ve got Apple Pay or your credit service married to your phone"s hardware. If you want to go off the grid - withdraw some cash at your neighborhood branch and ditch that phone.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I recently switched to DuckDuckGo for my browsing activities. It made an immediate and noticeable difference. I know, a small victory against the tide.

That"s been my choice for maybe a couple of years. I get a lot of phishing & SPAM though, a whole other thing I know, but I suspect the amount of time I spend here on KC is part of it. Otherwise, I have no social media connections.

Here for the gear.

I guess it"s even worse if you"ve got Apple Pay or your credit service married to your phone"s hardware. If you want to go off the grid - withdraw some cash at your neighborhood branch and ditch that phone.

Actually, I"m pretty sure Apple Pay gives every vendor a different random card number (that"s tied to you in the background) instead of your real card number. They also make some claims about not selling any of your purchase info. It"s at the credit company (Visa/MasterCard) level where Apple loses control of it. If you"re trying to avoid being tracked, and you still want to use a card instead of cash (as you mentioned), you"re better off with Apple Pay than a regular credit card.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Then there is your car / truck with its inbuilt Sat Nav and live internet connection to the manufacturer.

Then there is all the CCTV cameras

Face recognition.

Loyalty cards.

The USA"s NSA spying on the telephone conversations and text messages of the world

The list goes on and on.

The evil Big Brother looks on.

Col

Within a few days, I got hit with a massive tsunami of calls and physical mail from...Kangaroos in Australia. They completely hijacked my mailbox.

Yep, they"ll do that. Not as cute and cuddly as our Tourism Commission lets everyone believe. And don"t even start me on the door-knocking wombats...

I have a very specific email that I use solely for online forums, etc....

My spam filters are pretty good.

For work, and personal email, I have a couple others that I NEVER use to access things like KC, etc....

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

...It's a lot less work to raise the baby bird yourself.

I happen to be fond of raccoons. My local wildlife place won't take adult raccoons under any circumstances, and really doesn't want to take babies, either. I took a baby raccoon in last year and they put it down, just 'cause. Had I known, I'd have tried to take care of it myself--at least that way it would have had a chance. Now, mind you, they're super high on possums for some reason. Love them to pieces. Talk them up at every turn--how pretty they are. How they eat ticks. How tractable they are. Let them wander loose in their facility. But make no mistake, they do NOT like raccoons--some sort of edict handed down from on high. Whoever's in charge has a thing about raccoons. Snakes, turtles, frogs, birds, you name it...they like everything but raccoons and I was unable to get a rational explanation why. (No, it's not rabies...they're quite happy to take care of any number of other mammals that are potential rabies carriers.)

I learned my lesson, but unfortunately it cost a life for me to get up to speed. Be aware that not all wildlife places are equal opportunity when it comes to various species (but yes, they took good care of a broken-winged female woodpecker I took them).

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.