Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What�s up the the UB-xa? This is.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who hears a distorted/harsh sound from this video? I hope it isn't the synth itself, but some mistake in gain staging...

Btw I'm very glad that it's finally out. I am interested. Now I want to know...

How does it (really) sound?

Does the keyboard have velocity? aftertouch?

Onboard effects?

Price?

Etc. :D

Huh. First thing I noticed is that he swept the resonance and tune knobs of the filter, and the sound change was lame to my ears.

It has shit for firmware - looks and sounds like a lot of work to do yet. But eagerly anticipated regardless.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thank you for catching and posting this one. Mouth watering.

My guess is we are looking at 1800-2K for this board, 1500 at very best. (Prove me wrong Uli!)

It won't be in my budget, but for those who sometimes look at what the great old rigs are bringing, it's nice to know big rich analog polys are not dead.

It appears the synth may be two part? That would be huge.

Obviously Behringer is the most political subject in music technology today. Politics nearly killed the pianoforte as everyone in italy was obscessed with the new field of opera, and only by chance did Silbermann see Maffei's article about a Medici tech who had invented a new instrument, including very good drawings of the action.

Bach hated it. Voltaire hated it. The Harpsichord establishment declared it a crude low class monster. Those who craved more control had the original home keyboard, the pre-osmose (vibrato possible), the clavichord, silent but lovely. The masses had the hurdy-gurdy.

Within 10 years the harpsichord industry collapsed. By 1850 the second largest building in the US was the Chickering piano factory.

Conclusion: Uli's way is debatable, and I doubt all the piano makers were saints, either. Once the piano was established it was a race to provide some level of quality at and affordable price. Makers stole ideas and sued each other all the time, and later Hammond only escaped liablity because the interested parties died.

All publicity is good publicity, posit some, and in this case it's likely true. What Uli fears is being ignored. This instrument will not be ignored. TYG.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Bach hated it.

Not exactly. By several accounts, the early Silbermann prototypes were almost unplayable. Bach criticized the action and the sound of the upper register - but later, he even became a sales agent for Silbermann. In the latter part of his life, he always kept a couple of pianos in his house.

Bach hated it.

Not exactly. By several accounts, the early Silbermann prototypes were almost unplayable. Bach criticized the action and the sound of the upper register - but later, he even became a sales agent for Silbermann. In the latter part of his life, he always kept a couple of pianos in his house.

Hahaha

My Behringer model d was broken, I sent it for repairs, got a broken unit back, which again I had to sent for repair (that is their procedure). So it is gone since beginning of April. I think I will hold back on the behringer units...:

Rudy

Interesting to see and hear new synth development, regardless of the brand. I would have killed for an OBXA in 1981, but these days the need or urge just isn't there... although price could be mind-changing factor.

That being said, the 2600 and the CS-80 are on my radar. And yes, I am still loving the Poly D.

Steve Coscia

I want to see if they got the left hand controls right, or at least offer the option to set them that way vs. the traditional. This would be a very bad thing, as it would be a terrible temptation to break my current avoidance of all things B.

I've gotten used to traditional pitch/mod layout over the years, but my first hardcore studio time with a proper keyboard with proper left-hand controls was with an Oberheim, and my fingers still twitch to work that way. I've actually been hunting desultorily for a used Xk in good condition for years now, despite knowing how incredibly unreliable they can be.

(If you want to know what the hell I'm talking about, check out the iOS app iSEM by Arturia. They got this part right, interestingly enough.)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I want to see if they got the left hand controls right, or at least offer the option to set them that way vs. the traditional.

Yeah... we don't know, do we? The video avoids showing the left hand control section - maybe on purpose? They might have changed it up from the previous prototype.

I"m glad they stuck with the original full and half levels for the mixer section. Having the ability to dial in the precise amount with something state of the art like, say a knob with linear or exponential response would just throw me a curve.

I've gotten used to traditional pitch/mod layout over the years, but my first hardcore studio time with a proper keyboard with proper left-hand controls was with an Oberheim, and my fingers still twitch to work that way. I've actually been hunting desultorily for a used Xk in good condition for years now, despite knowing how incredibly unreliable they can be.

I feel the same way about Korg's perennial joystick. I melded with it on the DW-8000; it had just the right greez for me. Its the main reason I keep the TR61 around. I enjoy playing synth parts well enough on the semi-squishy keys, but its not for solo piano, let's just say. To its credit, it still does its job 100%, even being just USB 1.0. Its mostly a big module to me now, but the ROI is superior.

If I go Oberheim-mad enough to buy any version of it, I think it'll be Synapse Audio's Obsession, edging out Arturia's version by a hair. To within the limits of my iffy memory, that one sounds most like the Obies I got to demo as hardware ages ago. There's a roundness to the filter I really appreciate, which is the big calling card of the OB-6. I wonder how long I can self-isolate before I get bored enough to buy it? :laugh:

Its not necessarily the biggest/best poly synth to be had, but the big wet splash of playing it is a WIN.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

• 4 months later...
Am I the only one who hears a distorted/harsh sound from this video? I hope it isn't the synth itself, but some mistake in gain staging...

No. You are not the only one. Quite distorted/harsh.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs