Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feeling Alright ? Michael McDonald on piano

I played keys and toured with Dave for a number of years. He always did this song in C (as recorded by Traffic). It's indeed I- IV. We'd be on the road for sometimes 16 months with a few breaks.. If we had a long string of connected dates, or heavy international travel.,and his voice was ragged, he'd sometimes do his entire set ½ step down. Since it wasn't a regular thing and 12 songs, I'd just cheat and just hit x-pose, ot tune the keys down so my muscle memory wouldn't go awry - but finally just learned to play the set in the lower keys, because he wasn't doing every song tuned down. A few years back he decided to just keep this song always in B. He's moved some of the others down too. Though it's probably the most recognizable version, he wasn't a huge fan of the Joe Cocker version.

I thought the video was great and so very happy for him- and his voice and playing were as wonderful as ever. I was always honored to be part of his band, as I was a fan first.

I'm not sure if Michael M played the piano part but I'd guess like most remote stuff that's done like this, video was recorded after audio.

C

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played keys and toured with Dave for a number of years. He always did this song in C (as recorded by Traffic). It's indeed I- IV. We'd be on the road for sometimes 16 months with a few breaks..

When was this? I used to cross paths with Dave and band in the early 70s. We became friends with Jim Krueger, his guitar player. At least part of that time, Mike Finnegan was playing with him. Mike got to sing one blues number per night, and he would steal the show.

Moe

---

Late mid 80s' to early 90's . There was another guy from Dave's Chicago band that briefly followed Mike Finnegan (one my early heroes). Mike left Dave to work with CSNY's live band. I'm glad you mentioned him. Finnegan is one of the most criminally underrated keyboard players and singers around. He was kind of the 70's version of Benmont Trench. That's very cool about the late Jim Krueger ("We just disagree") He had long left Dave's live band, but we did get a chance to meet him a few times when passing thru his home state.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Add me to the Mike Finnegan Appreciation Club. When my band started covering Wooden Ships, I modeled the Hammond part after a live version from his tenure in CSN, down to the guitar/organ dueling solos at the end. He"s one of the players that made me really want to get a dual manual organ, after watching how he"d integrate both manuals of the B3 into his solos. Doesn"t he play on a track on Electric Ladyland too?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.