Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weird Psycho-Acoustic Phenomenon?

I've been doing a lot of listening to mixes lately. It really seems (although I know it's not possible) that as the song fades out, when the volume gets really low (like threshold of hearing low), the tempo sounds like it speeds up slightly. This isn't the first time I've noticed it by any means, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this...or whether I really am as crazy as others might think I am :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'm going have to check that out - I'm a big fan of weird psycho-acoustic anything...I'm the guy who regularly hears very faint music in the white noise from a room fan, so I'm game.

nat

Fans make all sorts of cool sounds, how could they not? I suppose somebody has made a "perfect" fan. I know Apple designers made a fan with intentionally unequally sized and angled blades because it is possible to reduce noise that way. I hear fan music too, and cars on the freeway music - if there are vibrations then there will be modulations of some sort.

I was messing about above, I haven't thought about what Craig mentions but it would be interesting if it was a "thing." Might be a way to use it somehow?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Waaw, and I thought I was going crazy!

I actually noticed this phenomenon a long time ago, but attributed it to my brain not functioning correctly. It's reassuring to know that either my brain is functioning correctly or that you are as crazy as I am!!

Another weird thing I remember from my vinyl days is hearing stuff on the run-in groove (is that what it's called?). I noticed it first on the song Help! on the 1962-66 Red Album. I distinctly remember hearing the word 'Help' twice very quietly before the song began. Ever notice that particular phenomenon?

Another weird thing I remember from my vinyl days is hearing stuff on the run-in groove (is that what it's called?). I noticed it first on the song Help! on the 1962-66 Red Album. I distinctly remember hearing the word 'Help' twice very quietly before the song began. Ever notice that particular phenomenon?

That's pretty common, and it's roughly the equivalent of print-through on tape. If the last lead-in groove is too close to the adjacent groove with modulation, the modulation will push the plastic of the lead-in groove to follow, producing the "pre-echo."

That's pretty common, and it's roughly the equivalent of print-through on tape. If the last lead-in groove is too close to the adjacent groove with modulation, the modulation will push the plastic of the lead-in groove to follow, producing the "pre-echo."

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation, Mike :)

Motors do it for me. Fans, washers, soloflex, whatever, if they have a cycle the cycle starts repeating a word or phrase. If the cycle speeds up or slows down the word or phrase might change. I find this entertaining.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<