Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

[font:Verdana]I was wondering if that Chase Bliss pedal with the motorized faders had made its way here yet, hahahahahaha.[/font]

I know, right?! :D And I don't post a lot new pedals on this thread, so when I do, you know it's gonna be no 'ho-hum', 'same old same-old'...

Such is definitely the case there. I do think that I want one.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not exactly new, but pretty cool -

Remember the iStomp, Digitech's "black box" effect pedal that you could load with different FX firmware? It was a sort of precursor to T.C. Electronic' TonePrint series. You needed an iOS device to load different FX into it.

My bandmate, who is a master in the App realm, ordered a used one from GC, only to find it was super cheap because it didn't have the needed connection cable, so she got another one. Having two iStomps on hand, she loaded one with Adrian Belew's Impossible Pedal, and brought it to my place yesterday.

It's dual Pitch Shift effect, BUT . . . you have to stomp the switch to "play" the pedal. Stomping it On and Off switches among your straight input signal and two preset Intervals, Up or Down, as you like. With some very vigorous stomping, you can turn a sustained tone into a three-note riff. There also seems to be a Pitch Detection function, so you can pick your Intervals on the fly, without having to stop, bend down and turn knobs?

I couldn't find a Manual anywhere, at least not in English - a French language site had one posted, but my French isn't near good enough to help out. Finally, I went looking for photos of the labels that Digtech sent out with the iStomp. so you could customize the face of your pedal, and know what the knobs did. I found a good image of the Impossible Pedal's label, and that was enough. Knob 1 is Voice One, 2 is Up/Down, 3 is Voice Two, and 4 is Up/Down, again. It's

As usual, fooling with the Impossible Pedal has inspired me to try something similar in my MFX, so I'm likely to wind up with a whole new bank of sounds. In the meantime, I've got a week of garden work ahead of me.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Not exactly new, but pretty cool -

Remember the iStomp, Digitech's "black box" effect pedal that you could load with different FX firmware? It was a sort of precursor to T.C. Electronic' TonePrint series. You needed an iOS device to load different FX into it.

My bandmate, who is a master in the App realm, ordered a used one from GC, only to find it was super cheap because it didn't have the needed connection cable, so she got another one. Having two iStomps on hand, she loaded one with Adrian Belew's Impossible Pedal, and brought it to my place yesterday.

It's dual Pitch Shift effect, BUT . . . you have to stomp the switch to "play" the pedal. Stomping it On and Off switches among your straight input signal and two preset Intervals, Up or Down, as you like. With some very vigorous stomping, you can turn a sustained tone into a three-note riff. There also seems to be a Pitch Detection function, so you can pick your Intervals on the fly, without having to stop, bend down and turn knobs?

I couldn't find a Manual anywhere, at least not in English - a French language site had one posted, but my French isn't near good enough to help out. Finally, I went looking for photos of the labels that Digtech sent out with the iStomp. so you could customize the face of your pedal, and know what the knobs did. I found a good image of the Impossible Pedal's label, and that was enough. Knob 1 is Voice One, 2 is Up/Down, 3 is Voice Two, and 4 is Up/Down, again. It's

As usual, fooling with the Impossible Pedal has inspired me to try something similar in my MFX, so I'm likely to wind up with a whole new bank of sounds. In the meantime, I've got a week of garden work ahead of me.

[font:Comic Sans MS]"Hi! I'm Adrian Belew- one of the world's guitarists!"[/font]

[video:youtube]

Cut to about 5:35 here:

[video:youtube]

That's the beast . . .

Therein lies a sad tale, which relates back to CEB's post about the Rubberneck Delay: DOD/Digitech is among the walking dead, as far as product lines. Samsung bought out Harman, DOD/Digitech's parent company, some time back, looking to scrape the cream off the top, in terms of the more expensive product lines, and doing away with a lot of the consumer products, including DOD/Digitech. The entire Digitech development team was fired around two years ago, and there've been no new products since around the advent of the Trio, with nothing forthcoming. You're likely to see some blow-out sales on remaining DOD/Digitech gear, as retailers dump whatever they have left on hand, but bear in mind, they'll all be "orphan" products, with no company support, no in-house repairs, and very likely a lack of available replacement parts.

FWIW, Lexicon and Alesis were also Harman companies, and as a Synth user, I saw what happened to Alesis. Whole product lines disappeared, and the Support pages for Legacy products were slashed, to the point where it's as if some products never existed? Looking on Lexicon's current website, the only Signal Processor I see is the MPX200 . . . Ah, well.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Delay is probably my favorite effect outside of Distortion, and this thing caught my eye, in part because it looks a lot like something from Chase Bliss? No, it's a Walrus . . .

New Walrus Mako series D1 Delay

• 1 month later...

Hi. My name is Dan, and I'm a pedal-holic.

The 4th of July weekend saw another pedal purchase for me. For a long time, I've been looking at the Beetronix Royal Jelly Fuzz/OD. They occasionally do special paint jobs, too; a stars & stripes version for Independence Day was their new offering. Plus they were having a sale. I thought it looked cool; but not worth another $60-80. Still... Next time I checked, they were sold out, both the special paint job version and the standard version. A quick look on Reverb showed that most of the online dealers were selling the standard version at the sale price that Beetronix was offering. Cool. Then I saw one of the specials, at the same price as the standard one (on sale). When it was still there at that price the next day, my card told me to buy it.

Of course, it showed up the day before I went on vacation, so it had to sit a bit before taking it for a test drive.

I love it.

Not the most over-the-top fuzz I've heard, but super wooly and buzzy. Blendable clean signal control mix. Strong hi & low EQs (cut or boost). Two settings (Queen & King); I set Queen to mostly overdrive with a bit of fuzz; King to almost all fuzz. Then it has a "Honey" switch to add in top end bite. Not an upper octave, but more of a Presence type high end.

Combine this with the Mad Professor Kosmos (mostly set on slap back or shimmer reverb settings) and I was noodling away for a couple of hours. The bloom that fuzz got from the neck pickup of my LTD Tele copy (SD Phat Cat pickup) was sublime.

RJ_4THJuly_01_medium.jpg?v=1593208038

I think this will replace my Keeley Fuzz Head; maybe even the Tech 21 Comptortion, as well.

So thanks to Corona, and not having to drive to the office, I've saved enough gas money to turn into GAS money to buy:

Mad Professor Kosmos

Tech 21 Bass Flyrig

Beetronix Royal Jelly

Some strings & cables & contact cleaner...

Now to have some venues open enough to get gigs & use them!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I haven't been gear shopping, not even online, so I'm sure there's a lot I've missed, but I do get GP and EM magazines, so I see the usual run of ads, and reviews of a LOT of gear I can't afford.

The last few months, EM has had a regular feature on Electronic Guitar, more specifically on Synth Pedals for Guitar. This month's entry was the Keeley Synth 1.

I'd originally dismissed it because it looks so much like EHX' Mono Synth pedal; my mistake. While it is a Mono Synth pedal, the Keeley seems more prone to be an "anarchy box" of a sort, which appeals to me, and it's slightly less expensive than the EQD Data Corrupter, which also intrigued me. In the meantime, I have plenty of User Patches left on my hardware Synths, so I think I can hold off on a new Synth pedal for a while longer . . . maybe.

@Danzilla - hope to see you when we can all visit once again!

• 1 month later...
[font:Verdana]Strymon posted this pic to their Twitter account a couple of minutes ago. They'll do the big reveal at 8 PM Pacific Time om September 17.[/font]

Ehz3zoxUYAA2HvG?format=jpg&name=small

I think someone got one of those old handheld football games off of eBay...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

[font:Verdana]Strymon posted this pic to their Twitter account a couple of minutes ago. They'll do the big reveal at 8 PM Pacific Time om September 17.[/font]

[font:Verdana]I still have mine, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No idea if it still works, tho.

Meanwhile, some Radial for y'all:[/font]

Eh4KBGPWkAAkRbl?format=jpg&name=large

I have a Radial pedal! The tube-equipped, Marshall-voiced dual-channel Radial Tonebone Plexitube; Channel 1, more or less its "Rhythm" Channel, is my favorite of the two and a thing of beauty, while Channel 2, its "Lead" Channel, is basically their 'Hot British' pedal. It's a distortion pedal that "takes pedals well", and even has a TSR insert-patch effects-loop to add other effects to Channel 2 that'll come on with it with a single stomp...

1413.jpg.d52745ff232ecf3a5c40a1824d2029bc.jpg

[font:Verdana]I still have mine, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No idea if it still works, tho.

I"m watching one of those in Reverb!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

[font:Verdana]A bit of a peek at that new Strymon can be seen here:[/font]

OK. I predict that this will be a new reverb or reverb/ambience/delay type pedal- a big-box, 'dark' cousin to their Big Sky, the 'Night Sky'- with darker, swimmier, more modulated, unusual character reverbs to compete with the types of reverb sounds from the likes of the Walrus Audio Fathom and Slö, Eventide Blackhole, etc. etc.

Yhup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
That"s pretty nifty! I can get some similar stuff out of my T Rex Gull wah (or its replacement, the Shafter), but this is more versatile. Also reminds me of the Little Dipper pedal as well.

Boss' "Humanizer" effect is a Formant Filter sound much like that one, although it seems that you get a lot more control over the sound with the Mother Tongue.

• 3 weeks later...

My new Fender MTG Tremolo, based on the tube tremolos of their late 1950's amps, was supposed to arrive last night but got delayed, so will probably arrive today.

Unfortunately, as I have no guitars with me in North Carolina, the only instrument I'll be able to try it on is my Hagstrom Verythin Hollowbody Bass Guitar (with tape wound strings).

As a result, I'm not sure I'll be able to give a proper evaluation of it, until my hopeful purchase of a Johnny Marr Jaguar if I get a Christmas bonus at work.

Anyone in the Durham area who is interested, can arrange for a safe get-together to try it out with their own gear though. So far, not too many useful on-line demos of it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm going to buy a new tremolo pedal for my Ibanez guitar. Can you recommend me something?

The Boss TR-2 Tremolo is a perfectly useful Tremolo, no gimmicks, no added features, but it's affordable, dependable, and easy to use.

I'm going to buy a new tremolo pedal for my Ibanez guitar. Can you recommend me something?

The Boss TR-2 Tremolo is a perfectly useful Tremolo, no gimmicks, no added features, but it's affordable, dependable, and easy to use.

That"s a pretty good slogan that would accurately describe Boss" better stuff. All it needs is 'available in a store near you.'

That"s a pretty good slogan that would accurately describe Boss" better stuff. All it needs is 'available in a store near you.'

And also, 'easily replaced almost anywhere, anytime, in a pinch, if you lose one'... I have some rather hifalutin stompboxes, but THAT can't be said of most of 'em... Ubiquitous as most Boss pedal models are, for the most part, they're the small-block Chevy V8 parts and accessories of the stompbox world.

And, yeah, I remember the TR-2, trying one, liking it, wanting to get one further on down the road in time, finding to my dismay that they were discontinued, and then later, reissued...

I will say that any good tremolo pedal that includes reverb as well is a great thing- reverb into tremolo, so that the reverb trails get all chopped-up by the tremolo, is THE CLASSIC tremolo sound. There are at least three out there that will give you that in one stomp, let us know if that'd be important for you, ZeroOne...

And also, 'easily replaced almost anywhere, anytime, in a pinch, if you lose one'... I have some rather hifalutin stompboxes, but THAT can't be said of most of 'em... Ubiquitous as most Boss pedal models are, for the most part, they're the small-block Chevy V8 parts and accessories of the stompbox world. ZeroOne...

Billy Duffy, of The Cult, has long championed Boss pedals for just that reason. If he's on tour, anywhere in the world, and one of his Boss pedals breaks down, he can get a replacement pretty much anywhere, and be confident that it will behave like the pedal he's replacing. Of course, he also gets some great sounds out of his rig . . . Robert Smith of The Cure, and Prince also relied on Boss pedals for much of their sound. Smith's personal preference was to have all of his control knobs set at Noon, except on one of the Boss Digital Delays. Can't recall offhand what it was about that particular box that he used a different setting, most likely something about the Delay Time.

Boss roadworthy pedals last a long time and are reasonably priced. They make just about any classic sound come alive. I would not hesitate to pick out a Boss TR-2 if I were looking for a tremolo pedal. Like Caevan said, running it with a reverb is a great way to go...My amp has both reverb and tremolo on board so I just use my foot switch...here's a demo:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz