Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Did You Meet Your Significant Other?

I ask this question to people a lot, more often than not the answer is pretty out of the ordinary...but I'm surprised at how many involve music in some way, like meeting at a concert, having to sit next to each other in a random fashion and end up going home together, demoing a guitar at GC (!), etc.

Since most of the people here are involved in music, seemed like it might be a fun question to find out if the same is true of people here :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mutual friend suggested the woman I ended up marrying meet me at a bar where I would be playing in a covers band. And the mutual friend let me know, so I would know this person was someone I should potentially take seriously. So it was kind of like a set up, but with the mutual friend not wanting to be held responsible if things did not go well.

Shorter answer, when I am trying to be funny: "I met her in a bar".

I grew up on the East Coast and in my 20"s was working with a band in Florida. I met someone there who offered me a long running gig in Vegas at Caesars. I took the gig, moved to Vegas, and met Linda pretty much as soon as I got here. She was working at the front desk there. We have 3 wonderful grandkids now. :)

i was playing in a band at a club. One night a group of girls came in, a couple of us sat down and we had a nice time talking and joking around. They were fun but I really wasn't especially attracted to any of them as a potential mate.

The next night the same group of girls came in but with an additional girl, who had the most beautiful smile in the world. We started talking and it seemed like we were old friends. She was a musician (still is), liked the same kinds of music, liked to travel (as I) do, liked the same kinds of books, loved the beach, and so on. 42 years later we're still together and I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

She sings like an angel, plays guitar and synth and is the other half of my duo. She is the kindest person I've ever known, has a great sense of humor, I could go on and on and on but I'll spare you a long list. She still has the most beautiful smile in the world.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Church. Great place to meet prospectives....

In the 70s as a Univ of Tx student, I attended a church that had some 100 or more other UT students also in attendance.

For a few years there it seemed like there was a wedding to attend about once a month on average.

I had a lot of wedding gigs.....here's a pic for to give you that unmistakable 70s instamatic vibe...

Wedding%20gig%20-%201978%20or%20thereabouts_1.jpg

I'm the guy at the piano partially obscured by the Photobucket banner :) That good-looking guy two places over from me is Stephen Clapp - at the time he was concertmaster for the Austin Symphony and later was a member of the Beaux Arts Quartet and the Oberlin Trio, ending up as Dean Emeritus of Julliard. Wonderful violin player, wonderful man, passed in 2014.

WAY out of the league of all the rest of us...

nat

Somewhat long (and really two stories, but first leads to second):

I was the ultimate nobody in high school, a year younger than the others, living in a rural area, and without a driver's license when others had one. So my high school dating situation was close to non-existent. Fast forward through two marriages, neither of which survived. I had moved and become an active part of a home-based church in northeastern NC, was in the praise band with numerous instruments. Our (lady) pastor decided a bunch of us should take Ballroom Dance Lessons in Virginia Beach (really a surprise, we were a charismatic strong-on-Bible church). Anyhow, I started, and was a slow but consistent learner. This did help my meeting and going out a lot (much cheaper for students to practice together than with an instructor). I became reasonably proficient as a bronze level student, and was in the best physical shape of my life.

(side note: My 25th H.S. class reunion came up in this time - drove the car down to it, spent the whole evening dancing with the wives of all of the B.M.O.C. Lettermen that were sooooo popular in my school days, most of them showed the effects of way too much food and beer, and not enough exercise). One of the most enjoyable moments of life up to that time.

I was dancing a good bit with one lady student, and going out some in general. My wife, Wini started taking lessons, she improved a lot quicker than myself (she had some ballet in her early years). She had been fairly recently divorced under some rather harsh circumstances, moved 3/4 way across the US, worked as RN at Duke Hospital in NC, then moved to Virginia Beach to be with an old high school close friend and her husband.

She was NOT interested at all in any romantic involvement, but we went out 3 or 4 nights a week for months, developed a close friendship in a totally platonic relationship. We became close enough friends that she trusted me, and at that point, a romantic development began. We knew each other well by then, had shared a lot of our previous life's bumps along the way. Over a period of time, we reached a point for me to propose, and she accepted.

Our wedding was the very first event held in the new sanctuary of a church in the area, attended only by family and close friends. I actually sang and played at my own wedding, probably not very well, but it went over well. Hawaiian Wedding Song, still one of the prettiest slow romantic songs I know. That was in December, 1989. We are still together, and have a lifetime commitment. We both will be 79 within the next couple of months.

My main advice: It is a great help and blessing to become FRIENDS (in a real world sense) before romantic entanglements.

Have a blessed day.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

In 1993 I was girlfriend-less and my sister invited me to a tarot-reading evening at her friend's house. I was the lone male among eight or nine females.

One of the females stood out from the crowd. She was so pretty. And slim. And brunette. Just what I liked...and still do.

A few days later my match-making sis invited me to an evening of roller skating at a rink near Manchester, and she informed me that she would be there. So I went. And me and she ended up roller-skating together and holding hands. And it went from there.

Craig met the old girl (and me) in July 2013 in London.

So there you have it. Absolutely nothing to do with music!

We were high school sweethearts. I met my wife on my first day in high school. We went together for about 7 years and then got married .... 47 years ago. Couldn"t be happier. I guess she"s just not very discerning. ð

I had moved to Chicago in 1989 to begin my residency at U. of Chicago. I was already a dedicated runner, and while running on the lakefront saw notices for the Lincoln Park Pacers Running Club, and joined. My future wife was a prominent member (editor of their newsletter); the club would meet at "the bulletin board" and do a 5-miler, then go to Brett's at the lakeside public golf course for coffee and muffins (this was the late 80's, after all). One October morning she blazed in, next thing I know she had sat across from me and started interviewing "the new guy." By January we were for all intents and purposes living together, and three weeks ago celebrated our 30th anniversary. Between the two of us we have run 21 marathons...

We both were members of a Tibet support organization. We did an event together, which was sort of a quasi-rave, then began hanging out and doing things together.

~~~~

This is the way I proposed to her.

I wanted it to be creative, and I wanted it to be a surprise. I thought since I'm a night photographer, "light writing" my proposal to her might be unique and fun.

This photo was created in New Year's Eve with Lisa helping out, not knowing that this was going to be a marriage proposal. I set up the camera, had her help out by lighting me with a flash, and used "light drawing" to write this message while the camera's shutter was open for this long exposure photo. I did this only once. Then I had her look at the LED in the back of the camera. She was very surprised! She said yes. I joked and said she had to "light draw" her answer.

See attached photo.

1255.thumb.jpg.04dcf8eba61a4af9d00b4e67ab548f48.jpg

I think that's a situation where making light of marriage is not only acceptable, but encouraged :)

Haha, you're quite punny!

Well, I wanted to propose in a way that felt like me.

Originally, I was going to do this out in the desert by a Joshua Tree. However, when we went out to Joshua Tree National Park, she wasn't feeling well and it was 40 degrees and windy. So yes, it was a few days later....indoors.

A gal that the drummer in one of my bands plays ball with brought her friend to one of our gigs. We kept staring at each other all night...me playing and her dancing. I got her number after the gig and we went on a "meet and greet" date that ended up lasting 4 hours. We went out again the next night and it went even better. That was 3 years ago, we're now living together.

It's complicated.......well no, not really!

I met my wife on match.com, our 4th anniversary is only a few days away.

In late 2015 the relatively long term relationship I'd been in had become irreconcilable and I decided to have a try with on-line dating. Initially it actually was a little complicated since I was still living in a mutually owned home with the ex. We got that sorted out soon enough and I bought another house that turned out to be a storage facility/practice space more than anything else.

I put a lot of thought into creating my profile because I wanted to be as honest and upfront as possible. I used my pseudonym GG Midi as a sort of code to indicate I was a musician. I was in a busy and popular local band at the time so I made mention of that commitment. I also made it clear that I was a fairly hardcore biker and had intentions to move away from the area after retiring. Soon the responses began rolling in......well, not exactly, but I was getting a few. The profile for my wife to be had never appeared for me but apparently my profile was popping up for her frequently she has stated and at some point she decided to message me. Her profile was vague and it was obvious she wasn't taking it very serious but her credentials were extremely impressive with post doctorate degrees and such.

We began text chatting and after a few weeks I'd weeded out most others and invited her to meet me for dinner. Things went well and the relationship developed from there. We had similar interests, ideas and a common sense of what is adventure and fun. She made it clear a little while into it that if the relationship was going to progress marriage would have to be involved so I caved and took the leap!

Most of my relationships have begun with music in one form or another. My now ex-wife of a decade, I met at a DEVO concert (supported by Flock of Seagulls, Bow Wow Wow, and Animotion) in the middle of San Francisco near Halloween in the mid-noughties. I was covering it for Keyboard magazine, and it was literally an "across a crowded room" thing where we started circling each other and eventually struck up a conversation. When I learned she was (A) a sci-fi nerd, (B) an '80s kid, and © a medical doctor, I was like "Thank God, a smart person" and immediately pulled out the big guns: "Would you like to meet the bands? I have backstage passes." It was a fun, globe-trotting, high-flying relationship that got very good very quickly. Perhaps too quickly; the goody-two-shoes pediatrician loved having a rock-n-roll boyfriend. Until, that is, certain aspects of my lifestyle and habits got a little too rock-n-roll. She had her blind spots as well, but I can only take my own inventory, not someone else's.

Since making some radical changes and relocating to my home state of Vermont, I've connected with a literal best friend I've known since high school and been close with for at least the past 10 years. Music is involved there as well, as she is a gifted choral conductor (though she also does orchestras) and soprano. We'd planned on doing gigs by now together, but for Covid. In fact, our friendship turned to more as we were rehearsing for a Christmas gig we did this past December. We both found ourselves feeling a little shmoopy after trading lines from "Let It Snow" and she flat out looked at me and said, "This friend zone thing is kind of stupid at this point, isn't it?" The next night it was "What should we do for dinner, honey?" and has been most nights since. I've been in a handful of relationships where each partner dreamily looks at the other and asks, "Wow, why does it feel like we've known each other forever?" but until now, not one where the answer was, "Oh wait, we actually have." I recommend it.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I have not been lucky at love. Before marriage I had three girlfriends at school which were all very short relationships. Frankly I was awkward around girls and had no friends to guide me. The woman I used to be married to was someone I knew from college. I've had women at work show an interest but I could feel that something wasn't right; that feeling has never failed me when I learned later they were not good relationship material. Outside of work every woman I was introduced to through a mutual friend was either unattractive or not good relationship material.

I stay in shape and look attractive for my age; just haven't met the right woman yet. My marriage was a vast learning experience so I've been VERY selective.

In 1993 I was girlfriend-less and my sister invited me to a tarot-reading evening at her friend's house. I was the lone male among eight or nine females.

One of the females stood out from the crowd. She was so pretty. And slim. And brunette. Just what I liked...and still do.

A few days later my match-making sis invited me to an evening of roller skating at a rink near Manchester, and she informed me that she would be there. So I went. And me and she ended up roller-skating together and holding hands. And it went from there.

Craig met the old girl (and me) in July 2013 in London.

And here we have proof...FWIW she looks even better in person. Unfortunately, Mark looks worse (kidding!!)

5Am5YRZ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'll jump in, in the interest of easing myself into this particular forum (building a home studio, you know).

My wife and I met in college. We were actually in an English lit class together (Poetry I with Kevin Murphy, the professor cool enough to appear on the cover of my first solo album), but we didn't really get to know each other until we both took Joel Gelpe's History and Analysis of American Musical Theater course (because that's the kind of nerds we are). However, most of the people who took that class didn't take it because they were nerds, they took it because they were musical theater performance majors and it was required (they all got to perform songs instead of write essays, too). The class was early in the morning, and most of the theater majors were already BELTING! My wife was having none of it, and chose a seat next to me, because out of all the people in the class, I annoyed her the least. She terrified me (I've always found intimidating women attractive) but we clearly had a love of the subject matter in common, as well as certain video games, which her Legend of Zelda tattoo (we have another winner) clued me into.

But I was in another relationship at the time, with a girlfriend who had followed me to college from high school, and I was still too young and dumb to act on all the red flags. So the fall semester ended, as did Joel's class, and that was the end of my time sitting next to Mandy.

That winter I finally got up the stones to break up with my high school girlfriend (after which all of my friends from back home and from school greeted me with a resounding "thank god"). And a few months later, Mandy and I bumped into each other on campus -- she was happy enough to see me that she gave me a hug, which was a pleasant surprise (again, with the intimidation). We decided to grab lunch and catch up. I really had no agenda; I'd just been really enjoying the freedom of not having my ex constantly breathing down my neck about any activity I chose to do that didn't involve her, or she didn't enjoy. But Mandy and I got lunch and really hit it off, so we got lunch again next week. Then we went home for spring break -- she didn't come to a gig I had the Friday spring break began, because she said she needed to drive home to Cleveland... but she later told me was because she was worried I would be bad and it would ruin that magic for her. :roll:

Anyway, we spent all of Spring Break texting, and had our first official date the night we got back to school. That was closing in on ten years ago. Now we're married, we have a band, we own a house together... and she says I still annoy her less than everybody else. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

1980. I had burnt out due to too many performance ensembles (drums, piano, horn) and so I took a "year" off from college after my sophomore year as a music education major. I went down to Richmond VA to work with a prison ministry. About a month into my stay, some of my new friends invited me to participate in their church's talent show. I stuck out among the crowd of talent because I (1) wasn't a member of that church and (2) was a piano player in a sea of guitarists.

One of the young ladies that saw me went back to her college friend (roommate? not sure...) and suggested that friend meet me. Said friend, a week later at that church, tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was "Tim Williams." I said I was "Tom Williams -- will that do?" We married 7 months later.

P.S. I finished college -- a BS in Computer Science -- 12 years later.

P.P.S. our 40th anniversary is coming up in just over 2 weeks. I sure hope I remember it then.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361