Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which iOS apps do you want to see on macOS? (and vice versa)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too broad of a question. :D

However, what I want to see is developers using the tech available to them like Catalyst to make proper Mac apps. They shouldn't feel like I'm just running an iOS/iPadOS app in a window for me to want to use it more than just a quick look or update. Apple is giving developers lots of great tools to create great apps across its platforms, and I hope developers use them to their fullest.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As far as question #2 I would love to see the Acoustic Samples V-tines & V-reeds for iOS. I just can't really warm to the Neo-Soul e-pianos. However I had emailed A.S. & they replied that there were, alas, no plans to program for iOS.

As far as question #2 I would love to see the Acoustic Samples V-tines & V-reeds for iOS. I just can't really warm to the Neo-Soul e-pianos. However I had emailed A.S. & they replied that there were, alas, no plans to program for iOS.

AAS released one IOS app (Objeq). They must have been disappointed by the revenue generated by the app, as no other IOS apps have been released by them since.

1. The best IOS apps rely on the multitouch screen - eg. Samplr, Model 15, Borderlands Granular. Apps like that won't translate well to MacOS until we see Macbooks with multitouch screens.

2. I'd like to see the same file management that MacOS has... on IOS. IOS file management was a mess until Apple introduced the Files app. But there's still plenty of room for improvement. A lot of apps still save their files to some weird nonstandard location that can't be seen in the Files app. Unlike fellow IOS users, I don't really need to see Ableton Live or Logic Pro on iPad, as I don't mind using one of those multitouch remote controller apps that turn an iPad into a wireless multitouch controller for Live/Logic. I'm not saying don't ever port Live/Logic to IOS - just saying I personally have no need for either as I've got Live running just fine on my desktop computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I, on the other hand, would love a port of Live to iOS, at least the Studio View where you can organize clips in a grid and launch them in a time-reliable fashion. That's the one thing iOS still doesn't have.

With the eventual convergence of iOS and macOS machines, this will become more and more of a real thing as time goes on. I for one would be very curious.

Also, I am still holding out for an update of the original Alchemy Mobile, but hey, what can you do? :)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I, on the other hand, would love a port of Live to iOS, at least the Studio View where you can organize clips in a grid and launch them in a time-reliable fashion. That's the one thing iOS still doesn't have.

By 'Studio View', did you mean 'Session View' in Ableton Live? Or is it something different? I haven"t had a chance to play with it, but I thought Apple"s answer to Ableton"s Session view was Live Loops in GarageBand iOS?

AAS released one IOS app (Objeq). They must have been disappointed by the revenue generated by the app, as no other IOS apps have been released by them since.

That"s too bad, I"ve been hoping AAS would port the Lounge Lizard Electric Pianos to iOS. My iOS wishlist ports are:

1. Pianoteq Stage

2. AAS Lounge Lizard

3. Hammond B-3X for the iPhone

4. MainStage

5. MacOS Audio MIDI utility for those aggregate devices.

The best would be if all those apps could run on an iPhone - with a properly designed live/performance/stage interface - in landscape mode! I gotta give major kudos to Korg for making the Korg Module interface so iPhone friendly. Korg Module Pro is still my go-to live app, it doesn"t have the best sounds, but it makes up for it by being so dang stable and lightweight. Plus, it"s always going to be a good backup.

By 'Studio View', did you mean 'Session View' in Ableton Live? Or is it something different? I haven"t had a chance to play with it, but I thought Apple"s answer to Ableton"s Session view was Live Loops in GarageBand iOS?

Session View, right. That.

And the Live Loops in GB still force you to use GB, which does not play well with other apps in a variety of ways, lack of Link support being top of the list and the horrible things they did to the beautiful Alchemy Mobile app to wedge it into GB coming in second. I don't use it and rarely even have it installed any more.

No, all I want is a Link-friendly clip launcher like Session View's, without any froufrou. AUM can do all the heavy lifting beyond that.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

That"s too bad, I"ve been hoping AAS would port the Lounge Lizard Electric Pianos to iOS. My iOS wishlist ports are:

1. Pianoteq Stage

2. AAS Lounge Lizard

3. Hammond B-3X for the iPhone

4. MainStage

5. MacOS Audio MIDI utility for those aggregate devices.

The best would be if all those apps could run on an iPhone - with a properly designed live/performance/stage interface - in landscape mode! I gotta give major kudos to Korg for making the Korg Module interface so iPhone friendly. Korg Module Pro is still my go-to live app, it doesn"t have the best sounds, but it makes up for it by being so dang stable and lightweight. Plus, it"s always going to be a good backup.

Two more recent electric piano apps for IOS:

[video:youtube]

The Audiokit one is free and uses samples from vinyl or something. Not sure what tech is used in the Apesoft one.

Session View, right. That.

And the Live Loops in GB still force you to use GB, which does not play well with other apps in a variety of ways, lack of Link support being top of the list and the horrible things they did to the beautiful Alchemy Mobile app to wedge it into GB coming in second. I don't use it and rarely even have it installed any more.

No, all I want is a Link-friendly clip launcher like Session View's, without any froufrou. AUM can do all the heavy lifting beyond that.

The no-frourou thing is the tricky part. :laugh:

The latest attempts to create a MIDI clip launcher in IOS have been Mozaic scripts like this one:

https://patchstorage.com/scenic-sequencer/

I haven't used Mozaic much - yet - so I haven't tested the above or any other Mozaic script to see how well it works as a Live-ish clip launcher alternative.

A port of Ableton Live to IOS has been a long held dream for IOS users - other than myself. I kind of wonder how the smaller controls in Live will translate to the iPad's relatively smaller screen - might have to get a stylus, depending on how well/poorly zoom is supported after porting to IOS.

I mentioned Samplr earlier. This is the iconic IOS app that got a fair number of folks hooked on making music on iPads. Then the developer Marcos was hired by Apple and so years went by while Samplr fans wailed due to lack of updates, due to Marcos reportedly having his hands tied by Apple - whether it was Apple just working him hard or some legal issue nobody really knows. Then he suddenly updated Samplr for the first time in years.

Now he has released a free version of Samplr for the Macbook Touchbar

http://samplr.net/touchbar/

I mentioned Samplr earlier. This is the iconic IOS app that got a fair number of folks hooked on making music on iPads. Then the developer Marcos was hired by Apple and so years went by while Samplr fans wailed due to lack of updates, due to Marcos reportedly having his hands tied by Apple - whether it was Apple just working him hard or some legal issue nobody really knows. Then he suddenly updated Samplr for the first time in years.

Now he has released a free version of Samplr for the Macbook Touchbar

http://samplr.net/touchbar/

When I got into this sort of sample manipulation on iOS, I avoided Samplr at first because of the question of whether or not it would ever be updated again once Marcos was hired by Apple, and so I went with SampleWiz. It's nowhere near as powerful as Samplr, but I find the interface fun and relatively easy to get around. I really should give Samplr another try, though... many of my colleagues use and love it.

On a Macbook Touch Bar? Bweh, not so much.

I mentioned Samplr earlier. This is the iconic IOS app that got a fair number of folks hooked on making music on iPads.

I went with SampleWiz. It's nowhere near as powerful as Samplr, but I find the interface fun and relatively easy to get around. I really should give Samplr another try, though...

Can any of you folks recommend a sample player/pad app that runs as AUV3 or at least inter-app audio, can MIDI learn, run background audio, and allows you to load your own samples? Not necessarily looking to do a ton of on-the-fly manipulation, but some of my projects involve some dialogue samples and such that I trigger from Mainstage on my MacBook rig (usually triggered by a patch change or a bass pedal note or something), so I'd love to have that functionality available to me on iOS. Maybe Samplr will do the trick, but it's definitely more than I necessarily need (though I'm not averse to playing with it, certainly...). I've looked into a few sample pad-style apps, but a lot of them don't play well with others.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I mentioned Samplr earlier. This is the iconic IOS app that got a fair number of folks hooked on making music on iPads.

I went with SampleWiz. It's nowhere near as powerful as Samplr, but I find the interface fun and relatively easy to get around. I really should give Samplr another try, though...

Can any of you folks recommend a sample player/pad app that runs as AUV3 or at least inter-app audio, can MIDI learn, run background audio, and allows you to load your own samples? Not necessarily looking to do a ton of on-the-fly manipulation, but some of my projects involve some dialogue samples and such that I trigger from Mainstage on my MacBook rig (usually triggered by a patch change or a bass pedal note or something), so I'd love to have that functionality available to me on iOS. Maybe Samplr will do the trick, but it's definitely more than I necessarily need (though I'm not averse to playing with it, certainly...). I've looked into a few sample pad-style apps, but a lot of them don't play well with others.

Elliot Garage sEGments seems to be well-received by the IOS community.

SunVox and Drambo can also run as AUv3 but both are a lot more than just samplers and might also be overkill for your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see the Moog iOS apps get ported over to MacOS.

Animoog, Model 15, and especially Model D.

They sound so great....would even be more useful on the MacOS.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Consider Novation Launchpad! It's relatively CPU-light and the ability to input and map your own samples is a very inexpensive IAP. I don't use it that way, but a lot of my friends do, with good success.

I kinda disagree? Without a multitouch interface, I think they would be an utter drag to use. But that's just me; I am moving further and further away from computer-based virtual instruments because their sound quality doesn't make up for their complete lack of immediacy.

Do you use any external MIDI controllers (besides a keyboard controller for note entry) to supplement the iOS apps? Or do you tweak parameters strictly with the touch on the iPad screen?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda disagree? Without a multitouch interface, I think they would be an utter drag to use. But that's just me; I am moving further and further away from computer-based virtual instruments because their sound quality doesn't make up for their complete lack of immediacy.

I get this from a conceptual standpoint -- it is easier to move the resonance knob or adjust the filter cutoff in the middle of a song on a touchscreen than with a mouse -- but in the heat of battle, at least for my purposes, it's not really practical to make mid-song adjustments unless I've mapped the parameters I need to a physical controller ahead of time. I just dealt with this yesterday, when a synth lead I had programmed in Model D was mixed much too low relative to the rest of my keyboards, and I had to keep playing organ with one hand while using my other to double-tap the home button, pull up the app, tap my finger just right on the volume knob on the UI, and then adjust it JUST enough for the patch to cut (but not so loud that it would tear my head off). Maybe it would have been even harder on a MacBook, but at a certain point the touchscreen doesn't save me from going into "panicky device-tweaking mode" instead of "immediate, instinctive instrument-tweaking mode."

I've wanted the equivalent of Model D on OS X just because it would mean I could choose between using my MacBook OR my iPad for a gig, rather than "this is definitely a gig where I need Mainstage, but I will also need to make sure my iPad is hooked up to the MacBook because it's the only way I can get that sweet, sweet Minimoog sound without spending $200 on an Arturia VST or something." Real first world problems, considering the expense of the Apple hardware, and the affordability of both the $18 iOS app and the much more expensive VST relative to an actual friggin' Minimoog... but there it is, I guess. Maybe I'm just bitter because my iPad can't handle the processing power it takes to use Keystage's XY pad without zippering, and moving my finger around on an iPad to do filter sweeps makes my heart happy. For expression and musicality, the touchscreen is absolutely better, it's spur-of-the-moment problem solving where there are diminishing returns for me relative to a mouse.

Do you use any external MIDI controllers (besides a keyboard controller for note entry) to supplement the iOS apps? Or do you tweak parameters strictly with the touch on the iPad screen?

I have a Behringer X-Touch Mini that I use to map various knobs and buttons per patch. I use it with my Mainstage concerts more often than I use it with an iPad-only rig, but that's mostly because if I'm using an iPad-only rig, I'm trying to have as few devices as possible, and bringing the X-Touch also means bringing a USB hub, which means another power supply to plug in, and those things add up (and also take up a lot of top-of-keyboard real estate).

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Hainbach is kind of a present-day celebrity among today's aficionados of experimental electronic music and ambient music. Fundamental is a new plugin created as a collaboration between Hainbach and a software developer, inspired by the test equipment that Hainbach loves to use as a sound source, which is powered by a vacuum-tube oscillator. There was some worry that the desktop plugin would not be accompanied by an IOS release. As of today, those fears have been put to rest.

https://www.sonic-lab.com/fundamental/

If an app is well-designed, tweaking via screen is a joy. If it's badly designed, a controller can help a lot.

I have a MIDI Fighter Twister that I have used for some iOS apps, adding knobs and clicky buttons where appropriate. One sorta-fun thing is that the Novation Launchpad app natively supports the Launchpad hardware family for some functions, so if you have an old LP laying around, it can be handy.

This isn't the place to talk about my hatred of skeumorphism taking over from functionality. I don't WANT my soft synth to look like a screenshot of the original hardware... I want it to be easy and obvious to use clearly.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it: I want MTron Pro and all of its tape libraries on iOS. The ones out there right now, even the big "complete" ones, are missing huge numbers of vital tape racks.

This isn't the place to talk about my hatred of skeumorphism taking over from functionality. I don't WANT my soft synth to look like a screenshot of the original hardware... I want it to be easy and obvious to use clearly.
A thousand times this!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

A thousand times this!

But that would require original thought and UI design. :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...
A thousand times this!

But that would require original thought and UI design. :rolleyes:

Well, Joe, I would argue that skeumorphism isn't about originality or not. Honestly, it's about communicating a user experience. Sometimes people choose it because what they're trying to communicate requires it. Can you imagine the Moog Model 15 app or the Model D with a flat-graphic UI? Even if you put all the controls in the same places, the experience would be lost.

That's why all the software-modular platforms are carefully skeumorphic; if you use the hardware versions too or if you're a maker who wants to provide a recognizable branded experience, you can't just redesign every module.

It's the folks who do skeumorphism because they think that's what people want to see who are missing the point.

Camelot Pro has been promising audio plugins on IOS but that's late now..... need a Mainstage style solution for IOS

What particular features of Mainstage are you looking for? Since I learned my way around AUM, I've never seen the need for apps like Camelot or the like...

• 3 months later...