Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard stands with wheels (Plixio?)

Asking for my son, actually. He wants a keyboard stand with wheels. The reason is so that he can place a keyboard under some kind of desk or table (where he will have a laptop and monitors for school work), and then roll out the keyboard for when he wants to use his keyboard with various software applications. He's just trying to maximize a tight space in his room.

I did a quick Google search and only found this from Plixio: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YWMH91?creativeASIN=B079YWMH91&imprToken=LxZkfUzcjE.NCGr1hNIcZw&slotNum=5&tag=techsounded-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

71xhL3pQ9vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anyone have an opinion about this stand, or recommendations for something similar?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For non stage use it should be fine.

For stage use I added wheel to my OnStage 2 tier Z stand. For what your son wants to do, the Plixio will be okay. Especially at about 1/2 what a single tier Onstage costs.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I have the same stand for a similar purpose, although mine seems to be an earlier version that has slightly different wheels and no straps. It's been totally fine for scooting a lightweight 61 key controller around my room.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

This looks a lot like the stand I bought a few years ago for my KX88:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I5QTQI/

(Just checked - I paid $39 plus $8 shipping for this is 2015, so the price has almost doubled!).

Further searching shows it's a popular stand sold under a variety of names (or no name, lol):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-88-Key-Keyboard-Stand-Music-Piano-Gear-Strong-Support-Instrument-Rack-holder/181327825011

Plixio seems to have added a few doodads and used different knobs. They also have a version of the stand you linked to, without wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07574VQPQ

IMO these are great stands for staying at home - I would never want to gig with them. I see that Plixio says "set up and break down takes less than one minute and your stand can be packed flat for transport to gigs", technically true â but you'll be dealing with loose pieces of heavy-gauge rectangular steel tubing with somewhat sharp edges, and loose bolts, and no carrying bag. Not fun, but not a concern if the keyboard is staying home permanently set up. I really like my stand â it easily holds my old Yamaha KX88 which is almost 63 lbs, and doesn't budge a millimeter when I play it. IMO it's overkill for a small & light midi keyboard or controller â but unless you can find a lighter-duty version, or something else with wheels that'll hold a keyboard, you can be sure this will do the job. I would check the clearance under the desk to make sure the lowest setable height of this stand plus the height of the keyboard fits.

K&M make "trolleys" for adding wheels to an existing stand, if its feet will fit into the sizeable trays:

K&M 18860 Trolleys

380912.jpg

That's good to know for my own purposes, since I have a K@M (though my son doesn't need that much of a stand).

edit: Just adding that the trolley ain't cheap: $240!

Less expensive alternative to K&M trolleys :D

http://www.gimme.co.nz/files/imagecache/item_thumbnail_large/files/users/Gimme/4_jpg_4fe2d2ad11.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Less expensive alternative to K&M trolleys :D

http://www.gimme.co.nz/files/imagecache/item_thumbnail_large/files/users/Gimme/4_jpg_4fe2d2ad11.jpg

Ya know...... if you can screw down the truck springs enough so they don't tilt, and strap them to the bottom of your Z stand....they just might work :) :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Eric is the Master of mobile keyboard rigs!!!

Thanks! I have been using keyboard stands on wheels for live gigs since the '80s. I've had several different variations, mostly leveraging a flat furniture dolly with a keyboard stand (stock or custom) bolted onto it. Something like this:

41671_400x400.jpg

I build a platform for pedals and either velcro or bolt the pedals just where I want them to be, so there's never any issue of pedals creeping out of place.

Here's a picture of one of my rigs:

K1VbbuCl.jpg

One minor detail: how do you keep the keyboard still when you want to, you know, PLAY it?! :)

Good question!

You can see the solution on the images Eric posted -- friction LOCKS on each wheel.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I was using the same looking stand as Reezekeys by Neewer for a Mojo A+B.

I also use an OnStage Z stand with those stick on sliders for the digital pianos so they slide under my desk. I have a cut piece of low rubber-backed utility carpet straddling under each side of the stand. It pulls in and out with the stand and have Velcro"d the pedals to it. This saves the extra 3' of wheels, and keeps wires and pedals in place,

Here for the gear.

Keyboard stands with wheels ... this is something that precipitates all sorts of nightmare imagery. My imagination is too active. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Keyboard stands with wheels ... this is something that precipitates all sorts of nightmare imagery. My imagination is too active. ð

I've had people ask me about horror stories after they hear I've been using rolling stands on stage for 30+ years. Honestly, the weight of the keyboard keeps things almost entirely in check, unless there is a sloped stage or something that rarely happens.

As part of my performance, I roll the keyboard up to the edge of the stage to engage with the crowd multiple times during the show. There was a time back in the old days when my band was playing an event on an outdoor amphitheater type stage made from concrete with a series of steps leading up to the stage. I got a little over-zealous on my antics and actually toppled my keyboard down a few steps. Just a few bumps and bruises.

Do you always play a single-board rig or have you ever doubled up on the roller?

It has almost always been single, though I dabbled for a bit in late '90s into early '00s with a double stack (digital piano and clonewheel). It became kind of unwieldy and top heavy so I would use Invisible stands whenever my gig needed a dual keyboard rig. I've been dabbling with a rig that has a stationary synth set at a height where I can roll in my single board under it. Sadly, all the gigs went away before I had a chance to try it live.