Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Quad pedal steel

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing talent, thanks for sharing.

Not to nitpick but that is a 4 necked steel guitar, no pedals.

Pedals allowed steel players to have fewer necks, usually one E9 and one C6 neck with pedals can do everything Buddy was doing and more.

A friend had a Sierra pedal steel with a lever that changed the single neck from an E9 to a C6.

I tried to play it, made my tiny little brain hurt.

Just have one Franken-Framus single neck 8 string lap steel now and it's more than enough. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Pedals allowed steel players to have fewer necks, usually one E9 and one C6 neck with pedals can do everything Buddy was doing and more.

Thanks for steering me straight! Clearly I'm not up to date on my stringed instruments! 4 necked guitar... maybe that's where Rick Nielsen got his inspiration :-)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Thanks for steering me straight! Clearly I'm not up to date on my stringed instruments! 4 necked guitar... maybe that's where Rick Nielsen got his inspiration :-)

Haha!!! I've seen Cheap Trick 4 times, great show. 3 of those times Rick played that absurd guitar.

Its a ... cheap trick...

For reals though, has anybody ever written a better teenage angst song than Surrender? I play it once in a while, then forget that I know it. Cracks me up every time I hear it or play it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've played in a couple bands with a pedal steel playing friend. I learned a lot of lore from him. One thing is that pedal steel players set the pedals to their own preferred actions so it doesn't work very well for another pedal steel player to sit in on your instrument. It's not like a drum kit, more like you've tuned your guitar to some one-of-a-kind tuning. Somebody else can't just pick it up and play it.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

There are standard pedal copedants .... sort of.

E9 you have standard Emmons setup and the Day setup. The difference is the A and B pedals are reversed. Most play the Emmons setup. I play Emmon setup. Guy tweak stuff. On E9 my

left knee levers are switched from what a lot of guy play. C6 is usually standardized from what I see. Buddy Emmons created the C6 copedant in three days when ShoBud decided to build C6 guitars and it"s never changed since. Emmons was a genius.

The 12 string B6 universal tuning is neat. I"ve never played it. It tries to cop the flavor of both E9 and C6 necks. I don"t use pedals much at all on C6. Anything I do on C6 is Western swing type stuff and I do everything with bar slants. I started out in C6 lap steel. I"ve kind of kept that approach. Mostly too lazy to learn everything about both necks. If I gig now I just use my E9 Sho-Bud single neck. Way lighter and a lot less tuning.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I"ve got a lap steel set up with C6 tuning, not that I can actually play it, but it"s fun to mess around with. Some of the chords and harmonies that can be coaxed out of it with bar slants (quarter tones) are very appealing. OTOH with E tuning under my hands it sounds like a strangled cat.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

E9 you have standard Emmons setup and the Day setup. The difference is the A and B pedals are reversed. Most play the Emmons setup.

The story goes that Buddy Emmons was explaining his setup to Jimmy Day on the phone. What Emmons set up from left to right, Day on the other end of the phone was setting up the same way only right to left.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.