Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has Soundcloud pro turned into the Hotel California?

Help!! I took out a pro soundcloud account to see if it was worth having, and I have decided that - for me - it isn't. I wish to go back to the free account which I used to have. The problem is, that doesn't seem possible. I have navigated to the subscription page and the button which says 'edit subscription'. Clicking on that does nothing but show me details of the paid subscription. It does not offer me any means of changing it. I have tried on both an iPad and a surface pro.

In desperation I decided to cancel my credit card details. I have been unable to do that either..... I just get sent in endless loops to pages of useless 'help" information. If it is possible they have hidden it extremely well.

I must say that I am EXTREMELY UNIMPRESSED by these bullying tactics. When I have managed to break free I will not be tempted to return at some point in the future if this is how they treat their customers. No company should ever try to trap people into staying subscribed...

Please, If anyone can show me a way out of this maze I would be so grateful....

Thank you.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotel California ? LOL. I am sure there is some connection ;)

you should make an effort to contact SoundCloud support.

How long did you have the Pro account ?

I think SC has a 30 cancel window.

The Pro account gives you unlimited uploads which is a big plus.

The stats and reporting is important for my stuff.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Ann,

You might have found this already, but here's a LINK that makes it sound "oh so easy".

It does note that you cannot do this from a mobile device, only from a computer - and I'm not sure why a Surface Pro wouldn't qualify as one if it's running Windows 10 - but I've never owned or used a Surface so I don't know if it's actually a tablet (from a browser perspective).

Perhaps there's some specific detail or hint on that page that will help you find the magic recipe. They make it sound like it's simple and painless - which of course how Hotel California all started...

Tim

Ann,

You might have found this already, but here's a LINK that makes it sound "oh so easy".

It does note that you cannot do this from a mobile device, only from a computer

That's interesting. They have other functionality that you can only access from your phone, and not from a computer.

Ann,

It does note that you cannot do this from a mobile device, only from a computer

That's interesting. They have other functionality that you can only access from your phone, and not from a computer.

its the other way around. The mobile app is not as "robust " as the full on web site.

The SC mobile app is some months new and they want listeners to use it.

That seems reasonable as they want to track millions of casual listeners who

access SC from a mobile phone.

As apps go, its ok. I haven't done a thorough comparison .

[70's Songwriter]

We stabbed it with our steely knives but we could not kill the beast.

PS. Back in about '78 or so I met homeless guy (back then they were called winos) that claimed the "captain" in the song was based on him.

Was it true? I have no idea.

FunMachine.

PS. Back in about '78 or so I met homeless guy (back then they were called winos) that claimed the "captain" in the song was based on him.

Was it true? I have no idea.

:o Woah, interesting...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ann,

It does note that you cannot do this from a mobile device, only from a computer - and I'm not sure why a Surface Pro wouldn't qualify as one if it's running Windows 10 - but I've never owned or used a Surface so I don't know if it's actually a tablet (from a browser perspective).

Perhaps there's some specific detail or hint on that page that will help you find the magic recipe. They make it sound like it's simple and painless - which of course how Hotel California all started...

Tim

Thank you Tim. That page looks shiny and nice, but when you actually follow it, it leads you into a complete dead end . (I have followed it several times). There are no links for cancelleing where it says there should be, nor are there any links to allow you to change credit card details. My surface is windows 10, but just to double check I tried it this morning on a borrowed 'proper' computer. It was exactly the same. :(

Hello Greg. I have wasted a considerable amount of my time on this this morning and tried everything. Contacting soundcloud is - as with so many huge companies - impossible. No telephone number, no email address. Online 'support' which is just a load of useless articles which carry incorrect information. I am pretty shocked at how bad this situation is. They are basically attempting to get their hands on my money against my will (surely this must be illegal????): giving me no possible means of cancelling this subscription which I wish I had gone to great lengths to avoid!

I am utterly shocked at this situation. I actually thought a huge global website like soundclould would be trustworthy. At the moment I feel like I am being scammed. If necessary I will cut up and cancel my credit card and stop the subscription that way, but I would much prefer to simply cancel the soundcloud subscription. WHY would they think it acceptable to treat people this way?

If necessary I will cut up and cancel my credit card and stop the subscription that way, but I would much prefer to simply cancel the soundcloud subscription.

No need imo. Instead first confirm they've actually charged your CC. If they have file a dispute with the CC company. Soundcloud then has 60 days (typically) to respond back if they wish to fight the dispute (I doubt they would). In the mean time the CC should credit your account near immediately while waiting this 60 day period.

My first thought was: "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"

And I was thinking to myself

"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"

I got one -- you understand it's a classic and some people really enjoy it, but you personally could go the rest of your life without it. :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

We stabbed it with our steely knifoniums but we could not kill the beast.

I got one -- you understand it's a classic and some people really enjoy it, but you personally could go the rest of your life without it. :roll:

Come on Sam - I've done my finest work to ensure this can't get any worse. :snax:

I felt the same way trying to quit Xirius XM! I recently uploaded to sound cloud free and noticed they now try to get you to master your track. Only at the end do they tell you it's $4.99 um no thanks!

Besides usually I already do master my tracks with Ozone. Well this track I hadn't but their "dolby mastering" left me unimpressed. Because the un-mastered track sounded better.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Hello Greg. I have wasted a considerable amount of my time on this this morning and tried everything. Contacting soundcloud is - as with so many huge companies - impossible. No telephone number, no email address. Online 'support' which is just a load of useless articles which carry incorrect information. I am pretty shocked at how bad this situation is. They are basically attempting to get their hands on my money against my will (surely this must be illegal????): giving me no possible means of cancelling this subscription which I wish I had gone to great lengths to avoid!

I agree- SC is exasperating to deal with. Did you make an effort here to make your case ?

SoundCloud Support

[70's Songwriter]

If necessary I will cut up and cancel my credit card and stop the subscription that way, but I would much prefer to simply cancel the soundcloud subscription.

No need imo. Instead first confirm they've actually charged your CC. If they have file a dispute with the CC company. Soundcloud then has 60 days (typically) to respond back if they wish to fight the dispute (I doubt they would). In the mean time the CC should credit your account near immediately while waiting this 60 day period.

Thanks Mark. This is good advice and I will do it tonight. Soundcloud will never get so much as a sniff of a penny from me ever again. :Python: Fortunately my credit card company is excellent and has always been very helpful. And they they perform incredible superhuman feats such as publishing real contact details; actually reading and replying to emails and even answering telephone calls!! Soundcloud could learn so much from them....

I had a problem with one of the early cloud storage companies I used for quite awhile, but then cancel my subscription before the auto-renewal. They still renewed my yearly account. I contacted them and said I had already canceled and they still renewed. They said they couldn't do anything but would make sure it doesn't auto renew again. I said no I want to be canceled now and a refund they said they cancel but no refund. So opened a text editor on my computer wrote out the whole mess that happened and what their responses were so I could easily cut and paste my experience over and over. Then I posted on their website and every social media they were on. If I saw their name mentioned by someone in a post I post my experiences. In a week they emailed me my account was cancel and issued me a refunded. Sometimes social media can work for you.

I've recently dealt with situations involving monetary transactions online and have made use of the MacOS's ability to record your screen with "shift-command-5." AFAIK this is a more recent addition to MacOS (since Mojave, I think) and a little easier than pausing to open Quicktime (which lets you do the same thing). So when you click on that "cancel" button and a confirmation screen loads, you can preserve that evidence! There's even a roundabout way to record system sound too (normally you can only record audio being inputted to the computer).

[edit - rereading your OP I see there was no "cancel" option to record! Well maybe this will come in handy some other time. Sorry!]

[edit #2 - surface pro? So you're probably not a MacOS person... well Windows must have something similar?]

I agree- SC is exasperating to deal with. Did you make an effort here to make your case ?

SoundCloud Support

Here is their 'response":

'Hi,

This is an automatic message. We don"t monitor emails sent directly to this email address and we won"t be able to reply to your email. Please visit this help article for instructions on how to get support. If you"re not able to find the answer you need in our Help Center, you can file a support ticket

If you want to report infringing content, or if you have another legal request that requires immediate assistance, please visit our Terms of Use for information about our policies and to learn how to send your report.

Thanks,

Your friends at SoundCloud. '

As useful as a set of piano keys made of playdough. The 'support ticket" is just yet another labyrinth: designed to take you round and round in circles until you despair, run out of time and give up hope of achieving whatever it was you were hoping to do. Unfortunately for Soundcloud, we all have lots more spare time at present to shine a spotlight on this murky slime.

It cannot be legal in any country to run a site such as this without providing working contact details of any kind....but so far I have failed to find any. It cannot be legal to enrol people on subscriptions with promises that they can cancel at any time without providing them with any means to do so.....

The more I look into this the more shocked I am at what they are doing.

P.S. As far as your question goes, Greg, ' Did you make an effort here to make your case' ... I do not have any case to make. I simply wish to stop a subscription. I do not and should not need to jump through any hoops to do so.

Something is very very wrong here.

I had a problem with one of the early cloud storage companies I used for quite awhile, but then cancel my subscription before the auto-renewal. They still renewed my yearly account. I contacted them and said I had already canceled and they still renewed. They said they couldn't do anything but would make sure it doesn't auto renew again. I said no I want to be canceled now and a refund they said they cancel but no refund. So opened a text editor on my computer wrote out the whole mess that happened and what their responses were so I could easily cut and paste my experience over and over. Then I posted on their website and every social media they were on. If I saw their name mentioned by someone in a post I post my experiences. In a week they emailed me my account was cancel and issued me a refunded. Sometimes social media can work for you.

Good for you Docbop! :D Excellent use of social media!. I have not the energy to follow suit....but it would be good if people were informed about what is going on....

I've recently dealt with situations involving monetary transactions online and have made use of the MacOS's ability to record your screen with "shift-command-5." AFAIK this is a more recent addition to MacOS (since Mojave, I think) and a little easier than pausing to open Quicktime (which lets you do the same thing). So when you click on that "cancel" button and a confirmation screen loads, you can preserve that evidence! There's even a roundabout way to record system sound too (normally you can only record audio being inputted to the computer).

[edit - rereading your OP I see there was no "cancel" option to record! Well maybe this will come in handy some other time. Sorry!]

[edit #2 - surface pro? So you're probably not a MacOS person... well Windows must have something similar?]

Hi Rob. Very good point - thank you. :) Yes my surface does take screenshots and I actually did take a few along the way...just to keep track of where I had been in the maze. I think I will hold on to them....

So I called up the captain, "please bring me my wine,"

he said "we haven't had that spirit here since 1969"

And yes, wine is not a spirit, and if you really want to piss off Don Henley mention that to him.

Cutting up your credit card will stop them from taking money from you, but I've had friends do take this option with mobile phone contracts and they've ended up with a tanked credit rating and court summons because you entered a contract and reneged on it. As far as they're concerned you're attempting to defraud them.

Cutting up your credit card will stop them from taking money from you, but I've had friends do take this option with mobile phone contracts and they've ended up with a tanked credit rating and court summons because you entered a contract and reneged on it. As far as they're concerned you're attempting to defraud them.

Hi Baggypants. That sounds like a completely different scenario. Presumably your friends signed up to a contract of a certain period of time and then decided they wished to pull out of it before it had finished? I only signed up to a one month subscription. It automatically renews but, according to the agreement, I can cancel at any time. If I am not allowed to cancel when I wish to do so, it would not be me who would be breaking the agreement.

But, having said that, I have just received a further email from them which has allocated me a 'ticket number". Why they sent the other - entirely unhelpful email - first, I do not know, but I am pleased at this development. I am a naturally optimistic person, but will, at present, refrain from holding my breath in anticipation of a speedy conclusion to this frustrating episode....

I am utterly shocked at this situation. I actually thought a huge global website like soundclould would be trustworthy. At the moment I feel like I am being scammed. If necessary I will cut up and cancel my credit card and stop the subscription that way, but I would much prefer to simply cancel the soundcloud subscription. WHY would they think it acceptable to treat people this way?

Keep in mind, SC has 175 million listeners

Many have ' free ' accounts.

Thus, I think they treat folks as a #.

Even with a paid sub, it isn't a bunch of money, thus the service level is minimal.

2 years ago, there were rumors of bankruptcy with SC, but they pulled out of it and got some funding.

What other choices do serious musicians have ? YouTube is not my thing.

SoundCloud is good for audio quality. From there, there is Bandcamp, AudioMack.

I am serious about publishing my material, thus I work to underdstand the bigger picture of these sites.

[70's Songwriter]

Even with a paid sub, it isn't a bunch of money, thus the service level is minimal.

2 years ago, there were rumors of bankruptcy with SC, but they pulled out of it and got some funding.

What other choices do serious musicians have ? YouTube is not my thing.

SoundCloud is good for audio quality. From there, there is Bandcamp, AudioMack.

I am serious about publishing my material, thus I work to underdstand the bigger picture of these sites.

I think if it were a simple matter of trying to find the cheapest and easiest way of dealing with large numbers of customers, then they would have a website which worked properly. A website which allowed people - with one simple click of a button - to discontinue their pro account. Like millions of other websites do. Like they advertise that they do....

Instead they have chosen to remove this abllity from the website entirely and to send their customers on a wild goose chase (such as I am experiencing here...) If the only way out involves tracking down an almost impossible to find email address and then dealing directly with one of their employees (should you happen to be one of the lucky ones whose email gets a golden ticket)... then clearly this is neither suited to dealing with large volumes of enquiries, nor labour unintensive.....

No, something else entirely seems to be going on here. They are not seeking to help people take the simplest and easiest route out. They are seeking to make it so difficult and complex to find the door that we 'can checkout any time we want, but we can never leave.....' And in so doing, they appear to be attempting - quietly and sinisterly - to trap people into paying their subscription for far longer than they wish.

s.

I think if it were a simple matter of trying to find the cheapest and easiest way of dealing with large numbers of customers, then they would have a website which worked properly. A website which allowed people - with one simple click of a button - to discontinue their pro account. Like millions of other websites do. Like they advertise that they do....

Ih.

I thought I asked you this... did you attempt to cancel your Pro membership within the 30 day window ?

Or where you beyond the 30 days ?

Even if it was day 35, most co's would accept the cancel.

[70's Songwriter]