Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I put the P94 in P90 slot?

KenA

Hi.

I would like an explanation about the P94 pickup.

Can I put the P94 in P90 slot? or is it the opposite, the P94 was made to be used in a Humbucker sized slot?

Thank you in advance, Ken

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The P94 is a humbucking sized version of a P90.

There are lots of variations in the tone of a P90 pickup. Over the years I've heard/played many. The vintage stuff is all handwound, that is a factor. Magnets may be different or with Alnico magnets, the flux changes with age. There are probably other variances but they would be minor. Many companies offer versions of P90 pickups that maintain manufacturing consistency - Seymour Duncan just for one. The modern Gibson pickups are machine would so they would be consistent as well.

I'd be surprised if a P94 sounded much different, the P90 is a fairly simple design.

For me personally, I don't love the tone enough to deal with the hum, I dislike hum intensely. Others love them, they are not wrong either.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks all for the reply ... nothing particular in mind, just start the searching . Since hum for me is a big issue, I'm thinking about replacing the P90. I do enjoy the P90 sound, but i'm good with humbucker sound as well. A bit off topic, but one HB I got and really sound good is a Vintage alnico 2 model from an unknown chinese company named Oripure, really good sounding pickup, good for blues, blues rock, classic rock and also 80ies hardrock. So maybe I could find a humbucking sized version of a P90 with similar sound? DC Resistance for the Oripure hb is around 9 to 10k.

Thanks all for the reply ... nothing particular in mind, just start the searching . Since hum for me is a big issue, I'm thinking about replacing the P90. I do enjoy the P90 sound, but i'm good with humbucker sound as well. A bit off topic, but one HB I got and really sound good is a Vintage alnico 2 model from an unknown chinese company named Oripure, really good sounding pickup, good for blues, blues rock, classic rock and also 80ies hardrock. So maybe I could find a humbucking sized version of a P90 with similar sound? DC Resistance for the Oripure hb is around 9 to 10k.

Lots of optiions there too, many pickup manufacturers make P90 sized humbuckers. EMG makes 6 different types: https://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/p-90.html

DiMarzio makes at least 5 different ones:https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar

Seymour Duncan makes at least one, the P90 Stack

There are others. I bought a 2014 Gibson Melody Maker Les Paul with the EMG P90 sized pickups installed. I liked them - a P60 in the neck and a P85 in the bridge. No hum and a beautiful full range tone.

The trick with EMGs is to ignore their instructions and lower the pickups down a bit, then they sound smooth and sweet. The people who say they sound harsh and thin have them adjusted too close to the strings.

I haven't tried the others I mention, both DiMarzio and Duncan typically have excellent products. I am sure there are many more options.

There"s also companies that make noiseless P90s.

The one I know off the top of my head is RailHammer, but theirs are HB-sized noiseless P90s.

Lace makes a P90-sized Alumitone, but I don"t know if it sounds like a P90 or if it"s more like the rest of their standard Alumitones and just a different size.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

the P90 is a fairly simple design. For me personally, I don't love the tone enough to deal with the hum, I dislike hum intensely. Others love them, they are not wrong either.

I agree 100% I only had one guitar in my life with P90's in it, a Gibson Firebird. It sounded OK but the hum always irked me enough to always want a hum-bucking version of any pup, Strat Sized or hum-bucking sized. I do have Fender Noiseless in my Strat Clone, I wanted a strat type sound without the hum so I did swap out the old pups for fender Vintage Noiseless. And I am quite happy with that set up. My other guitars have either full sized or strat sized hum-bucking pups.

and I thought it was going to be a simple choice ð

Anything you chose will work fine. There is probably even a version made by the company in China that you like.

Generally speaking, pickups are more alike than different. Yes, a Tele bridge pickup is way different than a P90.

That's why we have knobs on our amps too!!!!!

I have a Les Paul Special with P-100 humbucking pickups (same size as P-90s but deeper, since they're stacked to achieve the humbucking). I've grown to hate those pickups and am about to replace them with P90s.

I prefer single-coil pickups in general... even when I play my humbucker guitars I'm usually using some coil-splitting... I love lipstick pickups... I never think about hum, I do have an MXR noise gate on my board following my Janglebox compressor because the lipsticks in my electric 12 strings are noisy otherwise in a bar with dirty power, and I keep a HumX on the end of my power strip. Otherwise, judicious between-song use of volume pedal or volume knob. Haven't had problems with recording and getting any noticeable hum.

I have a Les Paul Special with P-100 humbucking pickups (same size as P-90s but deeper ... )

That's interesting ...

I have one Dimarzio Injector, which has a similar structure to the P100, but 2 stacked single coils (if I'm not mistaken, with less wire rounds per bobbin) ... the one I have is for the Neck and I don't like it that much ...