Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FC300 foot controller MIDI Channel assignment

Hi All - I currently have a Behringer FCB1010 which is a bit meesed up, so its time for a new foot controller.

I'm specifically looking at a Roland FC300, which seems to have much the same functionality as my FCB1010.

However, with the FCB1010 MIDI Channel transmit assignment is a Global Parameter - it is assigned to a particular switch and keeps that assignment across all of the banks and patches. I have found this to be a bit frustrating.

My question - is that the case in the FC300?...ideally the MIDI channel transmit assignments for switches should be programmable for each patch.

Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks

John

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out the owner's manual on the Roland site, and according to page 35, it sure looks like you can associate different channels with different program changes and also controllers. There is an option to have everything default to a channel, but the unit accommodates "streams" which give a lot of flexibility in terms of what it can send. Although I haven't used the unit, and don't have one to verify operation, the manual seems pretty clear. If you buy it from Sweetwater, you can always ask your sales engineer to confirm how it works, and be able to return it if it doesn't do what you want.

Thanks for the input. I looked at the manual and I concur with your interpretation.

That was also a good suggestion about asking Sweetwater for confirmation. I actually contacted Roland. After 6 days, they sent me a link to the manual with no direct answer to the question.

Thanks again

John

I was hoping I could find a footswitch type unit that would have similar functionality to the Akai LPK-25 mini USB keyboard I currently use to trigger things in DP. Most devices appear too "clunky" for what I want; lightweight, small, no power supply or other connections other than USB.

I did find this little Keith McMillen SoftStep but wow, $370 seems awful high for that type of device!

I did find this little Keith McMillen SoftStep but wow, $370 seems awful high for that type of device!

The mechanical engineering involved in that thing is amazing, though. Having foot controls that are more than just on/off switches is pretty amazing...think of it as a lot cheaper and easier than buying 10 footpedals :) The thing is pretty much indestructible, too.

The mechanical engineering involved in that thing is amazing, though.

It's right on with the size, weight and hookup ease but apparently has way more functionality than what I need for some simple transport controls and to switch chunks. There are a couple others that look interesting but most of these footswitch devices appear designed more for amp/effects type control. I probably shouldn't have sold the iRig Blueboard, it might have done what I need. The LPK-25 actually does what I need quite handily but I have to set it on my keyboard with the fear that it'll fall off, the surfaces are not conducive to using velcro. Back when I was still in the band and using the full size FA-08 I was able to use the built in controls on that keyboard but the Krome 61 doesn't have that ability. It's not a show stopper, just something I've been looking into a bit.