Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chart for intro to Spain?

My jazz group is adding Spain to our list. I'm wondering if there's a simple chord chart for the intro. A web search didn't turn one up, but I did find an article in which Corea says the intro is basically the 2nd movement of Joaqim Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (on which the body of Spain is loosely based). I could give learning by ear a shot -- it doesn't sound complex -- but my impression is that playing the intro is pretty common so maybe there's a chart out there.

Other than that, any tips for going beyond the standard chart to make it more interesting?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a written chart for the Gil Evans intro to 'So What". I would not think of changing a note.

But for Spain, this is your opportunity to add your own spin. If it was me I might start with an abstract mash up of Blue Spanish Eyes and There is a Rose in Spanish Harlem. And then just as the audience is wondering what you"re doing, the opening line in Spain hits them in the eyes. But that"s just me.

Good point. We style ourselves as a jazz-rock group and generally play for broader audiences, not hard core jazz fans. The average listener might not recognize it until the staccato melody anyway, and most likely has never listened closely to the intro.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I actually have a pdf of apparently Japanese editions called the Chick Corea Complete Anthology, which weighs in at 1,448 pages, 55.7 mg. I don't remember how I happen to have this, I've never played anything by Chick in my life.

1230.pdf

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I have a written chart for the Gil Evans intro to 'So What".

Sorry for the pedantry but I'm sure you meant to type Bill Evans!

Hey Reeze:

No, it"s an unlikely fact that Gil, not Bill, wrote the intro. I know, WTF?

When I relisten to Kind of Blue, my current ears hear it as Miles re-connecting with the '12 bar blues", while bringing in the harmonic sensibility of Eric Satie via Gil and Bill to modernize the sound and name it modal.

I will probably have a completely different take 10 years from now if I"m still breathing.

Be well.

Ha ha ... I've played this song since I was a teenager and while I never played the intro to So What (does anybody?), I always assumed it was worked out at the studio on the day it was recorded. The liner notes say "Miles conceived these settings only hours before the recording dates" and I just assumed that applied to everything on the record. Thanks for setting me straight!