Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover or Me

I'm about done here. I posted something similar on Craig Anderson's page, which i had previously been really enjoying. The cove-19 threads have WAY exceeded any of the pitfalls of politics and religion and I'm done. I may as well just do Facebook because this has become the same damn thing except people use code to try to hide their politics but we now know who is whom. So I'm done.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see you go, Brother Dan.

I've been learning all sorts of things in the Recording Fora, maybe hang out there for a bit?

I've learned a lot asking stupid questions, progress but not done yet! Surely you can at least try that? :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's unfortunate that we've collectively gotten to the place where anything anyone says about the pandemic is seen through a political lense. If you think things are going badly, you're a liberal. If you think it's not so bad, you're . . . well . . . is "conservative" the right word? I don't know.

Musicians are going to talk about the pandemic for the simple reason that we're all so profoundly and negatively affected by it.

Meanwhile, over that the Landscape Painters Forum life and conversation continues in a much more normal vein.

I'd hate to see you leave, Dan. How hard is it to just not read those threads?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Dan has always been one of my favorite posters for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is his objectivity and neutrality. We could all strive to be more that way.

Unfortunately, if Dan leaves, we won't have his example to follow.

What does Craig Anderton's forum have to do with the keyboard forum?
+1. There's a fairly lengthy, sometimes passionate, mostly well-mannered thread in Craig's forum, but outside of that, there's plenty of non-Covid stuff to enjoy.

@Dan, I know many people (me included) value your contributions and insight here, and if you choose to move on, we'll miss you.

Cheers, Mike.

I was very disappointed when the one thread we had devoted to gigs quickly degenerated into SOS (same old sh#t), but I'm sticking around because there's still a lot of useful info in here - and often from you Dan. I'll miss you. I hope you'll check in from time to time.

I'd prefer you stay, Dan. Just skip the threads that bug you. Or take a break and come back when you're ready and stay in touch in the meantime. I know things have been tough for you lately. I hope whatever you do, you take care of yourself.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dan, I join the folks who say "Stay, just a little bit longer..."

For what it's worth, I am not bothered too much by the Covid discussions; although I am staunchly on one side of the issue, I think I understand (and even sympathize with) the other side enough to extend some grace if I am offended / insulted.

As for politics, whenever a community increases in intimacy, of course some politics / religion / Covid Issue Passion will leak through.

I was more bothered by the recent interchange between guitar direct versus guitar speaker, because that degenerated into folks (including me) impugning others' character.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'd prefer you stay, Dan.

As do I, Dan. However, you have left us before and come back. We are like an old girlfriend that you just can't get out of your mind. :)

Post when you want, lurk when you want, we'll leave the front door unlocked.

:nopity:

In an ideal world, a thread about a work-killing virus would not ever be remotely political, but would instead simply be logistical. But COVID itself has been politicized, so the logistics are filtered through that lens as well. You add value to the forum and I'd join those who suggest simply skipping the thread or else taking a break from the forum and then returning. I prefer not to know which of my friends has hopped on the political angle, so have been generally avoiding the thread myself, except when I have something pertinent to the logistics of performing to add.

One group I play with has fractured twice via text chain over the politics of COVID. The sax player has rage-quit on the left, and the drummer has rage-quit on the right. This is taking its toll on everyone in different ways, and a mental health break is certainly not only acceptable, but also called for.

Do what works, but don't throw the Nord Lead away with the X-stand.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Although politics sometimes leaks through on some threads, this forum is far, far better than most 'communities' on the web. Indeed, the fact that so much useful information is exchanged here highlights the benefits realized by communities that forgo politics and look for common ground. And keyboards make a great common ground!

..and there goes the person who I would nominate as "most fun to have a beer with".

The replies on this thread are heartening. Sometimes I notice an eagerness on posters' parts to interject politics, but overall I think this place is doing a good job of not allowing itself to be poisoned by it. I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to escape the bickering they see pretty much everywhere else.

Dan,I have seen your posts on FB, and in many cases I disagree with you. But, I think no less of you for your opinions.

I have many friends that have differing opinions from mine, and I've come right out and told them that even though we see things differently, I'm not going to let that affect our friendship.

Like the old saying goes, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it."

So, don't let someone else's opinion keep you from this place where your experience and viewpoint are very much valued.

I do agree, let's leave politics out of this place. Let's keep it a refuge for like minded musicians where we can fellowship and learn from each other.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I think Dan would like us to stop and reflect on whether we are drifting into verboten topics such as politics and religion. It's always a good question. I can't speak for Anderton's forum because I don't read it. Some virus-related threads on KC did get too political and were deleted. With all respect to Dan, I don't think it has become an endemic problem here. As someone else said, if you measure our transgressions on a relative scale compared to most social media, we're very clean.

We have one very big thing in common here: we all want to be gigging regularly again, and we all want to know how far off in the future that will be. That will depend entirely on "how things are going," and so there's going to be a lot more discussion about "how things are going." I get that some people feel that opinions about "how things are going" are political opinions because it is necessarily a comment on whatever political leadership you happen to be living under. I think that's the wrong way approach it, but in any case that's less than 1% of the discussion on this forum.

We all need to occasionally turn off the screen, take a break, and recalibrate to the real world. It's healthy.

What is politics anyway? To me it boils down to human interaction simple as that. "Politics" is in everything we do. When Ogg bashed Zogg over the head to gain control of the tribe in 10,000 BC that was a political statement. When the hot babe in the office shows up in a thin tight sweater and you have to be careful what you say to her, that's also political. ANYTHING we do or say that can affect what someone else thinks is political. And attempting to write stuff out for others to read rather than being in a face to face conversation is littered with minefields and we all need to cut everybody else some slack.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I just looked at this thread for the first time and found it surprising, because I haven't seen the interaction that Dan is (apparently) referring to. I'd say that's evidence that this place makes it easier than FB to avoid threads that you know will just make your blood boil.

because I haven't seen the interaction that Dan is (apparently) referring to. I'd say that's evidence that this place makes it easier than FB to avoid threads that you know will just make your blood boil.

Me too.......but I looked at the thread he's referring to.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

ANYTHING we do or say that can affect what someone else thinks is political. And attempting to write stuff out for others to read rather than being in a face to face conversation is littered with minefields and we all need to cut everybody else some slack.

Bob

I don't concur.

There are non-partisan ways to discuss Covid and even discuss policy. I see quite a few people on both sides of the aisle, who are on both sides of the lockdown issue. I think the key is to keep the assertions subjective, no matter how passionate.

Examples:

Good: I'm not in favor of these lockdowns. I want to get out and play!

Good: We need to do lockdowns -- I believe that safety is more important than a jam session, and I think you're risking other people's lives.

Not good: Only an idiot would shut down the country.

Not good: Only an irresponsible jerk would walk out of the house without a mask.

Downright Bad: Pelosi and her gang want us to lock down to kill the economy so they can grab power.

Downright Bad: Trump is a fascist capitalist who cares more about money than about grandma.

---

Religion has its own bugaboos, especially since so many here have part-time paid or volunteer church music jobs, but I think we do a pretty good job as a community, at avoiding proselytizing or insulting those with different theological / philosophical beliefs. I've seen more wounds delivered in the politics area.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I trust the mods to manage the conversations and the content. They've done a great job for many years, and I suspect they will continue to do so in the years to come. This is the greatest keyboard community on the planet, that's not an accident.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

ANYTHING we do or say that can affect what someone else thinks is political. And attempting to write stuff out for others to read rather than being in a face to face conversation is littered with minefields and we all need to cut everybody else some slack.

Bob

I don't concur.

There are non-partisan ways to discuss Covid and even discuss policy. I see quite a few people on both sides of the aisle, who are on both sides of the lockdown issue. I think the key is to keep the assertions subjective, no matter how passionate.

Examples:

Good: I'm not in favor of these lockdowns. I want to get out and play!

Good: We need to do lockdowns -- I believe that safety is more important than a jam session, and I think you're risking other people's lives.

Not good: Only an idiot would shut down the country.

Not good: Only an irresponsible jerk would walk out of the house without a mask.

Downright Bad: Pelosi and her gang want us to lock down to kill the economy so they can grab power.

Downright Bad: Trump is a fascist capitalist who cares more about money than about grandma.

---

Religion has its own bugaboos, especially since so many here have part-time paid or volunteer church music jobs, but I think we do a pretty good job as a community, at avoiding proselytizing or insulting those with different theological / philosophical beliefs. I've seen more wounds delivered in the politics area.

Excellent post, Tom.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Even if some threads may now and again wander into political territory, I can"t understand why that would be sufficient to make you leave, Dan. I set up my profile on Facebook to almost exclusively interact with musicians, many of whom I know from here. Lately, at least 80% of my Facebook feed has been about politics to the point that I"m no longer tremendously interested in logging on *there*. Here, though, it"s still 99% about the music.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I stopped reading those few threads about covid and gigging soon (related to covid) a while back.

All I saw was the same back and forth that often lead to a lot of vitriol between KC members.

This forum is my escape...no pun.... to talk about music and keyboards, etc... My personal feeling is that online political discussions are difficult. It is hard to tell tone of voice, facial expression, etc. behind a monitor.

Case in point was the ZOOM access that was open for a few days last week or was it two. Anyway, there were three of us in there when I logged in, and the topic did come around to covid, and how it is affecting us.

The three of us were able to discuss our feelings about things without starting the "computer keyboard pounding" Having the voice and face makes all the difference.

Heck, the 5 of us in my band are are different points of the political spectrum. Yet, we're all good friends, and we have always been able to sit around, have a beer, and discuss things without getting into fights.

Well, that's my $1.50

I'm gonna go back to the music room and play some music.... :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

It appears Dan left before we could ask him about the title of this thread. Is it a reference to Springsteen's 1984 hit? If so, why? Or was he posing a choice between keeping him on the forum versus only playing covers? We may not have answers until there's a vaccine.