Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nightfly

It really does seem like what we are hearing with our ears, BGV-wise, is at odds with what we are seeing with our eyes. The idea that those tracks might have been helped along after the fact, even if that help is just some mixing and balancing, would seem to reconcile the two positions (that these singers would not need tracks behind them, but that SOMETHING seems to be helping out on the final video). But if that synth is tracked, it wouldn't be unthinkable that some extra BGV's are also in the mix, with those great ones also performed live.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The incremental cost of doing ProTools multitrack capture of a show like this is pretty low, so people often do that and then remix in post while they're editing the video. After a couple of close listens I do think the mix was polished up in post, which is *not* to suggest that any of the live performances were re-recorded. There may be a couple of spots where mix levels don't seem to track the BGVs' mic proximity 100%, but all the lip sync that I can see is totally solid the entire time.

The video production values are, let's say, not quite up to the level of the musicianship, but that's kind of the norm for videos of live club performances. The mix is killer, though. I'd be interested to know what the actual work flow was.

It really does seem like what we are hearing with our ears, BGV-wise, is at odds with what we are seeing with our eyes. The idea that those tracks might have been helped along after the fact, even if that help is just some mixing and balancing, would seem to reconcile the two positions (that these singers would not need tracks behind them, but that SOMETHING seems to be helping out on the final video). But if that synth is tracked, it wouldn't be unthinkable that some extra BGV's are also in the mix, with those great ones also performed live.

Indeed. They are incredible singers and something is up. I"ve never heard a live mix sound so perfectly in tune or free of drum bleed.

That sounds pretty good, the only thing is in New Frontier they are using a live harmonica where there should be a synth part instead of a live person, as well as the backing tracks.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

GREAT band!

But WHY do they place the bad ass keyboard player all the way in the back???

Didn´t even know he exists before I read some comment here... :facepalm:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

BGVs are not live, I have no doubt.

George. You're in Nashville. You probably know all these singers names. They're professional BG singers and solo artists. I'm not surprised that someone would think they can't be that good live, but they are.

Yeah, if there was audio post production done to that extent, the guitar solo would have been boosted, because at times it's almost inaudible compared to the EP in both the solo and the ride, and the guitar player is too good to deserve that kind of treatment, heh. We're going to fix the BG's with a post gig session, but not Larry Carlton simply with the mix?!?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

GREAT band!

But WHY do they place the bad ass keyboard player all the way in the back???

Didn´t even know he exists before I read some comment here... :facepalm:

Yeah I was disappointed to see he was out of view of lights and video.

It was also a little weird to see the two keyboard players up front both playing only with their right hand.

I can understand if the goal is to create a pristine reproduction, but I wouldn't get much satisfaction out of that constrained role in a live performance of this nature.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yeah, if there was audio post production done to that extent, the guitar solo would have been boosted, because at times it's almost inaudible compared to the EP in both the solo and the ride, and the guitar player is too good to deserve that kind of treatment, heh. We're going to fix the BG's with a post gig session, but not Larry Carlton simply with the mix?!?

To be fair, that would also be the case if there were BGV tracks used live, sweetening the live ones.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com