Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Battery Powered Stage Pianos

Hit me with your top recommendations. Have I missed any out?

Roland Juno DS88 - too bulky

Korg Kross 88 - too bulky

Roland Go Piano - keys not weighted

Yamaha NP - keys not weighted

Casio CDP/PX etc - personally, I cannot stand the Casio range. Owned and sold a PX5s. Borrowed a PX360. Just hate the action and sound.

I have tried Yamaha P35, Kawai ES110 etc. and quite like both, but neither is battery powered.

Have I missed anything out? (Short of buying a Rav power pack. Maybe that"s the best plan!)

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you consider an portable AC rechargeable battery then you can run any keyboard you like. Below is a YouTube of the guy who has and audio company and reviews gear. This video he's show a small AC power unit that he ran a mixing, powered speaker, and mp3 player on at full volume for two hours on a charge. A keyboard is going to be a lot less drain and the thing is just over $100.

[video:youtube]

Maybe I will just pick up a Casio. I see the CDP-S100 has weighted keys and comes in at 10.5kg and £300. Can"t really go wrong at that price. Or the PX-S1000 adds proper outputs at £450.

Maybe if Battery feature is important then the S1000"s bigger brother in the S3000 would he a better buy?

Considerably more inbuilt sounds plus inbuilt Styles which may be useful for you.

I tried one at Rimmers in Leyland and it was a good board, the downside is the keybed which the Yamaha and Roland DP"s at up to £600 price point have imo better keybeds.

Col

If battery operation is key, stick with the PX-S1000 rather than going up to the 30000... much better battery life, IIRC. (I don't know about the CDPs.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks all. Based on a quick Google search, I found this:

Battery Life Comparison:

PX-s3000 - 2 hours approx

PX/s1000 - 4 hours approx

CDP-s100 - 10+ hours approx

The CDP is looking like a potentially useful tool. No proper line outs but, then again, I would probably be using just the internal speakers or, if I needed a touch more volume, I could hook up a battery amp/speaker via the 3.5' headphone output

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Are you getting hung up on battery power being the prime requirement?

You did say that you cannot stand the Casio range, yet here you are considering one.

Does the piano voices and feel of the keybed not matter to you?

If you can make do with synth action and 61 keys then there are plenty of battery powered options in the Arranger family of keyboards and what comes to mind at a very reasonable price point is a 76 key Yamaha EW410 with 12Wx2 onboard amp and 18.5 lbs in weight and is battery powered.

If you are still considering a Casio then do have a look at its manual before you check one out, changing voices is not a task that is quick and easy and for me the touch sensitivity of the non tactile switches was not to my liking.

You will find that the inbuilt piano voices of the S1000 are limited (@ this price point, as are the models from other manufacturers) and changing from one to another is not anywhere near as quick and easy as it is with a Yamaha P series. With this in mind you should find that the S3000 has a much better controls interface.

Despite its battery life an S3000 has considerably more inbuilt voices and options compared to an S1000 and its interface is vastly superior to the S1000 where changing tones is a challenge.

Col