Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A MG16XU based experiment

Using my latest CP4 and PC3 sound setups I tried a "mix" experiment to make a acoustically and sampling wise more pleasant sound where all kinds of annoying signal components are smoothed out the mix. Not a very accurate description, and I don't feel persuaded to share the exact signal path and Yamaha mixer settings (I keep pictures of the front panel for my own reference), but in short it's a built in specifically set up room reverb which goes through compression and two stage gating, with parametric equalizers influencing those stages. In total 5 mono and 2 stereo mixer strips are involved, and remember, these work completely analogue, so that the short reverb is treated with dynamics of a non-digital kind. These settings have been confirmed to work sampling error diminishing in some human dimensions (I'm not claiming mathematical correctness in this case) and room acoustics enhancing but now I recorded (digitally at 96kHz with the built in 2 bit AD conv.) the two synth sounds with these effects on, per track of a random multi track test, and then when mixing those tracks together (using Rosegarden on Linux) putting on the same effect on the mix, but in counter phase (inverted signal), so that it more or less cancels out the recording effect.

There's some gating on the recorded tracks and a (almost) sample accurate delay line to compensate for the physical delay of the mixers DAC/ADC feeding through the effects, but no software processing of the signals at all besides that.

I made the error of mixing the monitoring of the first 4 (of 6 stereo) tracks in the recording ( :) ... ) but it's just a test, so I play some instruments together to get a feel for the resulting mix, not so much to make a musical point:

mxexper1.mp3 .5min 320kbps

I think it turned out fun enough.

T.V.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic