Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nightfly

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...every .... musician onstage is reading their part.

Others may will disagree :) , but my view is that you can certainly succeed as a non-reading musician -- you just may never play anyone's music but your own...

Great band! Man, I wore the grooves out on this album when it dropped. I still hum "Ruby Baby" all the time, but my favorite track by far is "Walk Between the Raindrops" :thu: ("Whoaoooaaa, Miami!"

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Too bad they have the fellow doing the synth part and solo buried in the back.

I don't see anyone, and some of the others have B3, or synth through out. I'm thinking backing tracks, though just a few of them.

The vocals are stellar, especially Maxine, and John and Gary's bottom end are so strong!

They sound FANTASTIC. The band are playing it as good as it gets.

My only issue is I can"t believe how unaffected the backing vocalists are by that killer groove.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Steve, if you check out the Goodbye Look, the fellow, Mason Embry, playing the synth solo marimba stuff is buried in the back. They show a shot of him, Finally, at the end. He appears to be playing the synth solo/part on IGY as well.

I missed him I guess. I wondered as it was his FB page that first hipped me to this performance. He is a monster of a piano player BTW. Check him out. He has a trio with my friend Michael Renni on bass that is impressive.

A bunch of Nashville pros and one special guest (also a Nashvillian now).

Not something I'd go out of my way for, but pretty good for a cover band :laugh:

[video:youtube]

Blows my mind that any group could recreate that so flawlessly. :2thu: Loving the real harmonica and would like to know more about that player.

Long ago, I saw the Nightfly music book in a store and realized I was missing alot of those Fagan voicings and chords. Stupidly didn't buy it. Now a used version can be had on Amazon for a mere $255.

Great band! Man, I wore the grooves out on this album when it dropped. I still hum "Ruby Baby" all the time, but my favorite track by far is "Walk Between the Raindrops" :thu: ("Whoaoooaaa, Miami!"

Fun fact, my daughter (Ruby) is named after "Ruby Baby". Great tune!

@ Dave Ferris: Thanks for the reply. I should say, how is it being played? To me it--the off beat synth chords--sounds like a sequenced part, not played live. If so, is the drummer playing to a click?

That made me remember just how much I loved that record. Sounds wonderful. I might even prefer to see a band do this good a job playing the "record," than see Steely Dan live (when all were present and accounted for). Somehow this is livelier than their live show was. And if Larry Carlton is going to be on the gig, you just damn well better get it right I guess, huh?

That is really cool.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Question:

Does Fagen"s band use backing tracks?

Cause when I hear them perform Ruby, Ruby and nobody"s playing the bass piano line that defines the rhythm section, I"m gone. Just me, I know.

Not to pile on to my own just-previous post, but: last time I saw them I had some sincere questions about whether Fagen was playing anything that was heard out front, except the melodica.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

@ Dave Ferris: Thanks for the reply. I should say, how is it being played? To me it--the off beat synth chords--sounds like a sequenced part, not played live. If so, is the drummer playing to a click?[/quote

I'd like to think it's not sequenced, but it probably is. There's no discernable variation in the riff.

Visually, it's like watching grass grow. But lordy, what a gorgeous sound. The idiosyncracies of Fagan's vocals are in a sense irreplaceable. Doesn't matter that someone can sing it better than him -- it's not him. But putting that aside, this is arguably better than the original.

Count me among those who wore this record out when it was new. It was so fresh and just earth-shatteringly good.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I loved this album when I got it, and still do. It's got everything that's brilliant about Steely Dan, plus a greater sense of melody, playfulness and earworm-hood(?). Every track is a winner.

And this band is something else. What a sense of groove and time. I do think it's a shame that Mr Embry, who's doing a lot of the heavy lifting in something like "Ruby Baby", is so hidden that during his solo, camera's on the two other keyboard players.

Am I right that there is at least a percussion track somewhere in New Frontier? I heard cowbell/woodblock and shaker, but nobody playing them. (Unless it's another invisible muso like Embry...)

Cheers, Mike.

Several times the background vocalist in the middle (the woman wearing red) does seem to move her mouth to be farther away from the mic. while the all 3 backup vocal notes seems to retain full volume after this point in time. The end of the vocal phrase at about 1:25-1:27 is a good example of this.

So perhaps they went back and "fixed" some things. If they did I would not condemn them. I think Talking Heads did it in their 8-song CD audio release of a subset of the songs from the "Stop Making Sense".

Doesn't "sweetening" happen all the time in video production? The BG vocals were live I'm sure for the performance, but may have been replaced (or enhanced) in post.

Heck, my wife just made a little slide show for my son's high school graduation, and there was one snippet of video where he was dancing with his girlfriend to a song from Grease. The audio as recorded live was pretty bad, so my wife got the original recording of the song and inserted it in. Problem solved!

BGVs are not live, I have no doubt.

George. You're in Nashville. You probably know all these singers names. They're professional BG singers and solo artists. I'm not surprised that someone would think they can't be that good live, but they are.