Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roswell mini k47 on piano

Anybody have any experience using these in this application? I'm interested in a matched pair but can find very little about using them on piano.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any decent mic will work on "a piano," and the Roswell Mini K47 is certainly getting a reputation for a decent mic.

If you're only be recording one piano, for one style of music, in one place, then it pays to agonize over what's the correct mic setup. It will be worth your time. But think about all the other uses that you might put a Mini K47 to in your projects and you'll find that it, or a pair, will sound just fine on your piano with the proper combination of the instrument, acoustic environment, and placement. Oh - and the music, too.

I would contact Matt directly and ask him. Most likely he can direct you to a customer or a video of what you are looking for.

info@roswellproaudio.com

of course you can always contact dB, he is affilliated with Roswell Pro Audio and possibly has recorded his piano with the mics you are looking at, as he does own a pair himself

:nopity:

Thanks for the replies.

Yes primarily for the same piano, room, etc.

And I do plan on reaching out to Matt.

Any other mics in similar price range I should be looking at?

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Since you want a matched pair for stereo, no, there is nothing else comparable at all.

There is one other mic worthy of consideration but the price has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. Neat King Bee. The current price is still insanely low. It's a great mic, truly. Alas, it is butt ugly to a mud fence and quite heavy, you'd need a pair of solid boom stands with counterweights for some mic positions on a piano. And there is no matched pair available unless by random coincidence.

The K-47 is the way to go.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Using the Mini k47 on piano is what made me want to work with Matt at Roswell.

We have a solo piano recording Bill Payne just did for us using Mini k47s which we published only yesterday.

Sweet! Do you know how the mics were placed?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There"s a pic at 0:16 in the video that shows how he placed them.

dB

:2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...
Any opinions on the necessity for a matched pair? With these mics a matched pair costs $100 more than buying 2 separates. I could see if you were going to be doing something like an x-y config but if you record it like BP's piano, the sound sources themselves are slightly varied. I imagine the specs are failry tight to begin with and any difference would be extremely subtle and not audible.

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Microphone manufacturers offer matched pairs for people who request them. Generally the only thing that's matched is output level for a given SPL so you can set up a stereo pair, turn both mic preamp gain knobs to the same setting, and go. A matched pair might be worth while when buying a pair of hand-made boutique mics. Since those have more hand work in them than factory-made mics, there's more room for variation from one mic to the other.

The alternative is to listen to stereo pair, and if the stereo image is skewed to one side, you just adjust the gain to center it.

So, no, save the $100 if, most of the time, you'll just be using them as two mics, maybe on the same source, maybe on different sources.

A matched pair might be worth while when buying a pair of hand-made boutique mics.

and that is what we are discussing on this thread. Were it me, extra $100.00 knowing they are matched and the custom case is money well spent, but you are not me

:nopity:

There is a resale value consideration here as well. A matched pair of mics will fetch more on the used market than a simple "pair of mics", in fact you'd be better off selling unmatched mics individually.

Higher resale value means lower overall cost, your tools retain value. FWIW, on Ebay since 2000 with 896 feedback at 100% positive and I've been buying and selling long before that, also locally.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.