Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Concerts Disappeared. Piano Sales Survived.

Concerts Disappeared. Piano Sales Survived. (NYTimes.com link)

With their showrooms closed this spring, instrument dealers around the country report surprise at the robust numbers.

When the coronavirus sequestered Americans at home and forced businesses to close, Hale Ryan braced himself for a financial winter. As the director of sales and marketing at Metroplex Piano in Dallas and a 30-year veteran of the piano business, he had seen other crises â like 9/11 and the 2008 recession â damage sales. When the lockdown began in March, Mr. Ryan said in a recent phone interview, 'I thought this was going to be the final nail.'

Instead, he began to field a flood of requests for instruments. Even with his showroom closed, the economy nose-diving and the professional music world in tatters, he sold pianos.

'It"s actually been the best three months that I"ve seen in retail,' he said.

I know we've seen similar reports in the rest of the M. I. industry, but it's good to know it's been good in the piano business as well. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar sales booming too I guess people figure have to stay home time to finally learn a musical instrument. I was talking to the local music store his sales are way down, but Guitar Center called him and asked if he had any low end and used guitars he'd like to get rid of, I guess they are running out of lower priced guitars.

Talked again to the local owner and he said students are slowly coming back for lessons, He's also selling used band instruments as parent planning on their kids taking band class when school restarts. So people are being optimistic.

I think the rise in musical instrument sales is similar in its motivation to the reason we're seeing so much more protest right now, and why so many of the people I've spoken to have been reconnecting with old friends: our routines, and the exhausting treadmill many people in our society are forced to run on just to survive, have been disrupted by the virus. So we have not only the time, but the energy for the things we might want to do or need to do but have very little left over to give ourselves to. A lot of the folks who are really pushing for a return to "normal" are the ones who benefited the most from people being tired and unable to think and act outside the box. We are the music makers, dreamers of dreams... hooray!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Joe,

I spoke with a friend who works at one of the couple Steinway Hall satellite locations outside of Dallas, and he told me the same thing. Their 2nd quarter 2020 (April-June) sales exceed last year's 2nd quarter.

Mostly "M" models, a "B" and a previously owned "D"

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

It would be interesting to hear how Sweetwater and Kraft did

for Quarter End June 30.

Or any other MI name retailer in US

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Guitar sales booming too....

Mostly thanks to Dave Bryce.

:laugh:

I'm tellin' ya - I got three guitars for what I'd normally pay for a mid-priced synth! Guitar players have it made in that respect. :idk:

In all seriousness, Dan is spot on - I'm actually a good indicator. I'm not going to concerts (that's what I like to do), going out to dinner or spending money on pretty much anything and I need something extra to occupy the extra time at home...so I'm spending $ on gear...and loving it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That's interesting; for me it's been the opposite, as I'm old and no one wants me, so I gave up music a few months ago and am working 100+ hours a week for no pay and barely sleeping, desperate to try to get a job and pull in income again. If I was rich and comfortably retired, it would be a different matter; I would be making music non-stop 24/7 (except for sleeping). :-)

The bottom line is that I see no point in "spending money" (i.e. going into debt) to buy an instrument I don't have any time to play. And most people I know are in the same boat; spending every waking moment doing something to gain or retain employment and income. When I thought it would just be a long furlough, I was going to buy a piano as I thought I'd have so much time for music!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I can report that musical instrument and pro audio sales have been quite strong the last few months.dB

I bought two keyboards in the last 60 days (and sold two also).

No doubt that being home due to COVID 19 afforded me time to sort through my gear and exchange unwanted keyboards for newer ones. This wouldn't have happened without the lockdown.

Steve Coscia