Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jacob Collier Group

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my favorite Jacob Collier to-date. I like this!

I've been in the camp of folks who find much of his material to apply his genius talents in ways that are too sterile and/or needlessly complicated. This performance demonstrates a maturation... a "song first" mentality where he applies his genius to serve the song and the groove.

Yeah, I'd agree that he's getting closer to a balance of accessibility and technical prowess. Of course, not overdubbing things probably nudges him in that direction. Wish he would lay off the slapping a little though. Doesn't quite pop like the better players do. Thanks for posting Dave.

I do like this, but as I've said before, I think he is wasting his creative years doing this one-man-band thing.

Someone of his talent needs to drive the art forward though an ensemble of his own. No one is going to listen to this stuff ten years down the road if he continues down this path.

I tend to internally rate musical artists on the "Seriousness" 1-10 scale who either advance new music or make a mark in their genre, Jacob is a Seriousness=3.98.

The fact that he emphasizes his vocals is at least a two point deduction.

Even a mostly-serious guy like Wynton (Seriousness=6.2) went out and tried to do right with his performance career, but only ended up as the Neil deGrasse Tyson of Jazz.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I think he is wasting his creative years doing this one-man-band thing.

maybe he is hoping for more creative years by self isolating during a global pandemic :idk:

:yeahthat:

I saw this yesterday - great song and effort :thu:

We were two thirds of the way through the first song when my wife started laughing and pointed out that he had adorned the blue Wurlitzer (which I noticed right away) with his four Grammys (which I had totally missed).

I've been thinking about taking "advantage" of all this quarantine time by cranking out a solo record where I play all the instruments, a la McCartney or the early Stevie Wonder classic period albums. This both inspires and discourages me...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

He's amazing, but whenever I come across a musician who plays multiple instruments, or sings multiple parts, I find myself wondering whether the music would have been better served by using different musicians on each instrument.

For example, if memory is correct, I believe Stevie Wonder played nearly all the instruments on Innervisions. The album is a masterpiece and Stevie may indeed have been able best to serve the overall goal of the music - as he defined it - by playing the instruments himself. But even there, I wonder whether the album would have somehow been better with using more musicians.

And to be clear, I don't fault any artist for trying to do it all. It's an amazing accomplishment regardless.

I've been thinking about taking "advantage" of all this quarantine time by cranking out a solo record where I play all the instruments, a la McCartney or the early Stevie Wonder classic period albums. This both inspires and discourages me...
Whatever you to, don't listen to any Prince!

Cheers, Mike

He's amazing, but whenever I come across a musician who plays multiple instruments, or sings multiple parts, I find myself wondering whether the music would have been better served by using different musicians on each instrument.

For example, if memory is correct, I believe Stevie Wonder played nearly all the instruments on Innervisions. The album is a masterpiece and Stevie may indeed have been able best to serve the overall goal of the music - as he defined it - by playing the instruments himself. But even there, I wonder whether the album would have somehow been better with using more musicians.

I'm of course a big fan of recordings that are built around a band performance, but I'm also fascinated by the small subset of one-man-band records that exist. The nice thing with the Stevie material is if you want to hear what it sounds like interpreted by a full band, you can just watch any live performance of the material. I definitely prefer Maybe I'm Amazed as interpreted by Macca's touring band, but I love the homemade quality of that album experience. It's sort of a party trick, which can be good or bad depending on how you feel about the results. And if you're on the level of a Stevie or a Macca or a Prince (not to say they all have the best chops, just that they have extremely active musical minds and unique musical fingerprints), I like seeing what it's like to filter the entire arrangement through their brains and bodies, rather than, you know, Paul nitpicking George Harrison until he walks out.

I certainly would fire myself if any other drummer I work with could walk through the door and sit behind the kit, but it's not really an option right now, so I might as well use it as an excuse to get better at the drums...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Thanks for sharing that Dave. I loved it. I can't say his style of music is something I'd seek out, but OTOH I was thoroughly thoroughly impressed by this/these performances and enjoyed the music fully. I wish I had his energy and passion for this kind of thing. I would love to do things like this of my own stuff if I had anything.

I do have two comments, however. One, there are moments when you can see Sitting On the Floor Jacob get the top of his hair cut off by the cymbal behind him. B. Despite the fact that each Jacob wore a different outfit, they all wore the same socks! Ewww! :sick: [j/k]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I loved it. The harmonies are awesome and he"s harmonizing with himself.

I remember reading a Bruce Springsteen comment about some singers who were twin sisters, something like 'They not only got that sibling thing they got that twin thing too', which I took to mean that there is a certain purity to the harmonies not otherwise possible. I would imagine it would apply to harmonizing with one"s self as well. Of course, I can"t tell the difference, but Bruce probably can! :)

'They not only got that sibling thing they got that twin thing too', which I took to mean that there is a certain purity to the harmonies not otherwise possible.

The Finn Brothers (Neil and Tim - Split Enz, Crowded House) have talked about that special thing in interviews. Intuitively knowing what the other is going to sing before they sing it, and knowing how to complement it in the moment. Sounds like a real magic thing.

'They not only got that sibling thing they got that twin thing too', which I took to mean that there is a certain purity to the harmonies not otherwise possible.

The Finn Brothers (Neil and Tim - Split Enz, Crowded House) have talked about that special thing in interviews. Intuitively knowing what the other is going to sing before they sing it, and knowing how to complement it in the moment. Sounds like a real magic thing.

As a youngster I auditioned for and joined a band where two sisters sang BVs. Not only stunning to look at and lovely people but they turned up to rehearsal with fabulous harmonies worked out.

Cheers, Mike.

Those two are indeed incredible together. They've done a couple of albums as The Finn Brothers, and they are beautiful pieces of work:

[video:youtube]

• 1 month later...
I always prefers Jacobs solo live shows because it forced him to simplify thing and be more musical and less technical .

When it comes to JC, I'll take both. In his case, they're often both present in the same piece of music â and the technical aspect serves the musical aspect, usually in a brilliant way. Never as compensation for a lack of musicality, which is often the case with a lot of music I hear. IMO of course.

As prolific as he is, he is still finding his voice. He is pushing on all the limits he can find - his own, technical limits, what audiences will accept, and more. He is very musical, very well trained, and works hard. There's every reason to think that his best years are yet ahead. The body of work he leaves behind could be substantial, deep and varied as he matures.

He's pretty miraculous but I just don't like the (singing) voice which is like a mix between a jokey jazz singer and Kermit. Maybe that will change once as he matures.

And I think he's a true case of "too much of everything" - like the second tune. That can happen when you're as good and prolific (in everything) as he is, you cram everything into a composition.

Then again, when you hear a tune by him, you definitely know who it is, so in that sense he very much has his own thing.