Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Connie Han's new album just out and digging it. She's let more of her early influences come through mixed with her aggressive playing. She's only in her twenties so I think she'll be around for quite awhile.

[video:youtube]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Digging Ella Mae Morse. Great big band singer. Downside is audio recording technology wasn"t the best in the 40s. But she was great.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Been in a Russ Ferrante/YellowJackets mood last few days always good. I remember back about 1980 and going to a little bar in Hollywood on Tuesday night to hear Robben Ford backed up by what became the YellowJackets. They would alternate one set backing Robben and set on their own with Marilyn Scott singing a song or two. Forty years later and still listening to great music from YellowJackets. Sadly Russ Ferrante is only original band member left Jimmy Haslip left. I also got to see Russ and Haslip a few years later backing Leni Stern.

I'm in love with the lead instrument, a 10-string Puerto Rican Cuarto. Neck and body carved from single block of wood, played as a five string tuned in 4ths.

Below, the Cuban Tres, 6-string but played as a three string, which has had a major resurgence after being replaced by the piano in Cuban Dance music of the 50's a la Machito.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

This is pretty wild: Cuba vs Puerto Rico Battle of Trovadores. Simple but seriously funky percussion, jaw dropping leads on two different lead instruments, the PR's 10-string "Cuarto" and I think Cuba's 12 string "Laud". The singers are using some strict forms which regulate numbers of syllables: one example would be a"decima" which has been sung for almost 500 years in Latin America (I learned yesterday) but there are a number of more recent forms:

"Trova" Music Forms

Which includes "boleros", not to be confused with Ravel, which is a whole other thing LOL, but has been a grass roots song form in Latin America since around 1860-70. Often and it may the case here, the lyrics are improvised within the strict forms.

Which would you rather have for Xmass, Laud or Cuarto?

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I was watching the golf tournament and this commercial came on - the music hit me right away, did a little digging, the singer is relatively obscure right now, but if this hits others the way it hit me, not for long. Really hit the emotional heart strings.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Invention No. 1, played by George Fields, once the 1st-call harmonica player for soundtracks such as "Paint Your Wagon."

Redolfi's Pacific Tubular Waves, partially Synclavier-resynthesized from actual recorded waves in motion.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

This has been getting me through lately, watched the livestream last night and re-watching today. Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, live from the Nectar. Show starts at about 10:30.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Digging back into Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges' classic Clube da Esquina. I don't think I ever noticed the glaring tape splice in "Um girassol da cor do seu cabelo."

New discovery is Túlio Mourão's album Jazz mineiro, which is a 1983 record (and sounds like it) featuring a lot of the guys who played on those classic Milton records.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.