Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, the Corona Virus Isn't Going Away. Now What?

OK now that COVID is proven to be both an airborne and droplet disease, plus it can linger on surfaces, there is no reason to not wear a mask and be careful touching objects.

Who said it's proven to be airborne? This is what keeps driving me nuts. Somebody will point to some study that MAY SUGGEST (and is later proven wrong) and all of a sudden it's a proven fact. Remember the studies that said it could live on surfaces for days? Of course they never said under what conditions or if it was enough loading to be possible to spread. Then later they find that it's hardly ever spread by surfaces and doesn't last long, But that didn't stop people from jumping on the suggestion and automatically assuming it was absolutely a fact and forcing everybody else in the world to comply to the conditions that particular "fact" imposed.

There are times when masks make perfect sense, and I wear them in those cases. I'm still questioning the effectiveness of a plain cloth mask vs an N95, but whatever. Wearing a mask doesn't mean you can be stupid and not cover your nose with it, or hand your phone back and forth with the person at the ATT store, all the while adjusting your mask and rubbing your nose. On the other hand, if you want me to put on a mask as soon as I step out my front door, forget about it. I'm not going to walk around with a germ incubator on my face outdoors when I'm not around any other people, especially when I'm 99.999999% sure I'm not infected. I'm also pretty sure that people who are asymptomatic and infected, mask or no mask, have an extremely low chance of spreading it unless you're doing something stupid like sneezing and coughing directly on another person. Yeah, "Some studies have shown" and the cue the grocery store graphic - except those never point to an ACTUAL case of an ACTUAL infection starting that way, and in every case that I've questioned these things, they've come back and said it doesn't spread that way. Why? Because I'm going off what they've always said about viral spread as opposed to the random hysteria of the last few months.

Some people just seem to gravitate to whatever the worst is somebody, somewhere, suggests and just automatically accept it blindly as the absolute truth, and then stick with it even if it's proven wrong.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the virus is airborne, then the solution is simple: book them on United. With all the delays, they'll lose their potency before they get where they're going.

In any case, a lot of people are being infected. I do think (hope) that as time goes on, it will be possible to narrow on the most likely scenarios for that to happen, and how to prevent it. I would certainly be more inclined to believe conclusions that are coming out now after being with the damn thing for five months, than when it first hit and people had even less of a clue.

I guess I believe the respected, peer reviewed, published scientists when they say they have conclusive evidence that the virus is airborne, instead of fake news propaganda pundits, preachers, social media bots, real estate salesmen, facebook friends, and so on.

Sure there is a chance the scientist is wrong, but there is a bigger chance that the non-scientist is wrong. And since almost all reputable infectious disease scientists are now recommending every to wear a mask, I'd say that is probably a good idea.

When people near the air conditioning return vent in restaurants are dozens of times more likely to get sick, that supports it.

When people go to a bar and great numbers of them get sick, that supports it.

And so on, the cases are many, I read them in middle-of-the road news almost every day. A group gets together, and two weeks later the majority are sick.

You can not believe it, and deny it all you want. Who knows what is right as science is still learning?

But isn't it compassionate to wear the mask in public AND put it over your nose and mouth just in case you are an asymptomatic carrier?

Do you want others to endanger your health? If not, do unto others and don't potentially endanger theirs.

There is no logical reason not to put a cloth over your face and err on the side of caution. If someone wants to make a political statement, there are better ways to do it.

Right now the USA is the hot spot of the world. We have more cases than countries with billions of citizens. We have more deaths than any other country. Don't you think the refusal by about a third of the country might have something to do with it? And isn't putting a cloth on your face an easy thing to do?

Come on people, get with the program, err on the side of caution, and practice compassion to your fellow human.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

It's absolutely wild how so many people refuse to wear a mask, defying simple common sense.

Millions of doctors, dentists, surgeons, first responders, nurses, and other health professionals wear them and suggest that everyone does the same. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that.

Billions of people have used them to reduce the transmission of coronavirus in other countries and are now opening up their countries. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that.

Many people have caught the coronavirus because they were not social distancing, resulting in easily traceable outbreaks. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that.

It's absolutely wild how so many people refuse to wear a mask, defying simple common sense.

Millions of doctors, dentists, surgeons, first responders, nurses, and other health professionals wear them and suggest that everyone does the same. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that. Billions of people have used them to reduce the transmission of coronavirus in other countries and are now opening up their countries. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that.

How quickly some forget that the medical experts once said that masks were not effective or necessary. In spite of decades of real life data from doctors in the real world in thousands of hospitals around the world people were told that masks were not effective or required. They never said "we don't know yet" or "maybe you could wear one just to be safe", nope...they specifically said they were not required.That defies common sense to the point of ridiculousness.

I had my bi-weekly conversation with a medical professional in Boston, who said that it has indeed been shown to her satisfaction (and others) that masks make a difference. She also said that things are not getting any better, and that hospitals are losing money hand over fist because they can't do the elective surgeries.

What a mess.

Millions of doctors, dentists, surgeons, first responders, nurses, and other health professionals wear them and suggest that everyone does the same. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that. Billions of people have used them to reduce the transmission of coronavirus in other countries and are now opening up their countries. But because people have watched a YouTube video or read a meme, they are ready to ignore that.

How quickly some forget that the medical experts once said that masks were not effective or necessary. In spite of decades of real life data from doctors in the real world in thousands of hospitals around the world people were told that masks were not effective or required. They never said "we don't know yet" or "maybe you could wear one just to be safe", nope...they specifically said they were not required.That defies common sense to the point of ridiculousness.

People keep using that lame excuse.

Science learns and corrects itself. So at one time they thought masks weren't necessary, then when new data comes in, they realize they were wrong and then correct that statement. So the anti-science, anti-maskers, anti-social, and others use it as a mantra to not wear a mask.

We used to have lead in gasoline, science changed their mind and saved millions of lives.

We used to spray our crops with DDT, science changed their mind and the birds and bees recovered.

The examples of this are endless.

So science found new evidence to prove that masks are indeed the best weapon we have to avoid contagion but the anti-maskers still stick to any lame argument to avoid putting a piece of cloth on their faces, even though they may be asymptomatic and killing other people. Like I said, when you go out without your mask, you are telling others, "Your death or organ damage is less important than the inconvenienced of putting a piece of cloth in front of my nose and mouth."

Please be kind, compassionate and civilized and put the mask on. There is no logical reason not to do so.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I don't think anyone here has a problem with wearing masks, at least when we're anywhere close to other people. So I'm curious, who are these public service announcements, evidently on continuous loop, directed to- those hordes of knuckle dragging science deniers who lurk SSS?

If the virus is airborne, then the solution is simple: book them on United. With all the delays, they'll lose their potency before they get where they're going.

In any case, a lot of people are being infected. I do think (hope) that as time goes on, it will be possible to narrow on the most likely scenarios for that to happen, and how to prevent it. I would certainly be more inclined to believe conclusions that are coming out now after being with the damn thing for five months, than when it first hit and people had even less of a clue.

Regarding United. They sent out notifications yesterday to all their employees that they will be laying off tens of thousands in 60 days because of the economic situation. Florida was quarantining people coming from New York in March, now NY is doing the same to Florida and other states. Who's going to fly if they have to sit in a hotel for 14 days before they go anywhere? Things like this is why the government is almost certainly going to pass a second stimulus. The same thing seems to be happening everywhere to one degree or another. It's summer and enough people have just had it with being stuck in their houses, wearing masks and the whole scenario so they don't give a crap making this is the new normal I guess. All over the country the weather is hot and I totally understand people want out. I lived in Houston for a year and oh yeah, it's very hot and muggy right now. Looks like a minority is willing to ignore the guidelines and live with this thing which forces everybody to do it and we're going to find out how that works out pretty fast.

The Texas Medical Association narrowed down the risk of infection from best to worst:

https://www.texmed.org/uploadedFiles/Current/2016_Public_Health/Infectious_Diseases/309193%20Risk%20Assessment%20Chart%20V2_FINAL.pdf

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Agreed, excellent PDF Bob! Thanks for posting.

There are stories of people getting into conflict for refusing to wear masks and trying to enter stores that have "No Mask, No Entry" signs clearly posted but I'm guessing nobody here is incline to behave like that. I'd like to hope it won't be long before everybody treats those signs the same way we all treat "No shoes no service" signs and the like.

There are stories of people getting into conflict for refusing to wear masks and trying to enter stores that have "No Mask, No Entry" signs clearly posted but I'm guessing nobody here is incline to behave like that.

I'd bet on it. They might complain, but they're not going to act like a-holes. Lord knows there are enough opportunities to do so in forums, so if they're not doing it here, they're not doing it elsewhere.

If I was independently wealthy, and there wasn't a corona virus, I'd rent some vacation spot for a weekend, and fly all the regulars here out to it.

If I was independently wealthy, and there wasn't a corona virus, I'd rent some vacation spot for a weekend, and fly all the regulars here out to it.

When this thing finally blows over, and if you're ever in Austin, dinner and drinks are on me. Bring a friend or two.

nat

This place has because me never less shifty than facebook. Goodbye

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

<...snip...>. Who's going to fly if they have to sit in a hotel for 14 days before they go anywhere? Things like this is why the government is almost certainly going to pass a second stimulus. The same thing seems to be happening everywhere to one degree or another. It's summer and enough people have just had it with being stuck in their houses, wearing masks and the whole scenario so they don't give a crap making this is the new normal I guess. <...>

At first it was frightening, now COVID just a major PITA. And nobody in their right mind is coming to Florida. Disney is re-opening and Orlando is a hot spot. I wonder how many will come?

I miss doing a lot of things I used to do before the plague, but I understand there is no Ctrl+Z or Undo if I get sick. My birthday is coming up in a little more than a week, and my favorite baby-back rib restaurant sent my buy one-get one invitation. I know they need the money, but I need my health. I'm tired of being unemployed, but unemployed is better than under the sod. I dearly miss gigging, but nobody is hiring, and I'd be very cautious about safety before I took a job (can't play sax with a mask on). The masks, gloves, alcohol, bleach and other precautions are a minor hassle, and I long for the days when I can go out again without them, but my brain tells me to keep my desires under control for a while longer.

I read that the NIH is looking for 30,000 volunteers for phase 3 trials for the Moderna vaccine link and that's at least an encouraging sign.

Unfortunately because mask-wearing and other safety precautions have become a political issue, we aren't practicing safety enough which is why we lead the world in the number of infections and deaths. So our biggest hope is a vaccine, and that may or may not be possible.

In the end, if we can survive long enough, we'll see better days. The plagues of the past, black death, polio, "spanish" flu, and even the incurable AIDS have either disappeared or become treatable. So hang in there, be safe, the PITA is most likely temporary and better days might be around the next corner, or the one after that, or the one after that.

Bob "Notes" Norton

I don't think anyone had a real problem with you, I certainly don't. I like hearing your viewpoints, and I hope you'll reconsider. Realistically, you can't expect people not to become emotional about this subject, especially when we're all caught in a crossfire of contradictory information that changes seemingly daily.

All of us just want to do the right thing...but how are supposed to know what that is?

Besides, this is only one thread of many.

In any event, take care of yourself.

Dan, I don't understand this sentence but I understand the "Goodbye" the end. If something written here is bothering you, just say it if you want but if not, that's cool.

I hope you just mean this thread, not the whole forum. Personally, I consider you a valued member here you write interesting stuff.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I was taught "It's the thought that counts", so, thank you. :)

:nopity:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis called the rising cases a 'blip' and urged residents not to be afraid.

'I know we"ve had a lot of different blips,' DeSantis said. 'We"re now at a higher blip than where we were in May and the beginning of June.'

Now we are measuring cases of Covid 19 in "blips". :facepalm:

:nopity:

Perhaps this thread has indeed outlived its usefulness. When it was started, the idea was that we could discuss what we can do to continue being musicians now that "the corona virus isn't going away." But we're finding out...

All major concerts have been cancelled.

Indoor gatherings lead to increased cases.

Streaming your gigs isn't going to pay the bills.

Concepts like drive-in concerts are interesting, but ultimately, aren't going to move the needle.

Recording studios can either follow safety guidelines or take a chance, but either way, there's not a lot going on in studios.

"Creatives," like songwriters, editors, audio post-production, etc. don't have gigs.

Deaths are back to rising again after falling for quite a while.

As far as I can tell, until further notice we're screwed. I'm not seeing anything that's going to change that short-term. There will be isolated concerts here and there in places where the virus hasn't really hit yet, but the bottom line is that they too will likely be hit at some point. Think of all the states, like Arizona, that looked at New York and thought "Whew, I'm so glad that won't happen here."

So to answer the OP, apparently the answer is "deliver food for Uber Eats." Anybody got a better idea?

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis called the rising cases a 'blip' and urged residents not to be afraid.

'I know we"ve had a lot of different blips,' DeSantis said. 'We"re now at a higher blip than where we were in May and the beginning of June.'

Now we are measuring cases of Covid 19 in "blips". :facepalm:

A thousand or so blips a day. Around 50 deaths a day. Many more with permanent major organ damage. Just blips. Oh it couldn't be because he opened the state up too soon. Nah, this kind of politician never admits a mistake.

Before the blips it was bar patrons, he closed the bars and we are still getting 1k cases per day. Guess that was not it.

Before that he said it was Mexican Watermelon pickers, he got slammed for that one. There aren't that many of them and they aren't the bulk of the cases.

Before that he said it was increased testing, but the testing increase was about 1% of the case increase. Oops! That wasn't it either.

Before that he fired the person who wouldn't lie and reduce the numbers of dead and sick on the state website. Shame shame on you.

It's pretty sad when "our" representatives have so little regard and empathy for human lives and suffering.

There is not much we can do about that but remember who doesn't care about us in November.

In the meantime, be careful. Don't take unnecessary chances, protect yourself, we in FL are in a world hot-spot for this disease, which IMO means be extra careful.

There will probably be a day when this, like all previous plagues are history. The object is to still be here when that day arrives.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Anybody got a better idea?

I'm working on one, can't make any promises though.

It's a great time to write a lot of songs. And practice. Try new stuff. Break out the old Harmony textbook. Get all those scales down in all keys finally! Tinker with counterpoint. Try a synth, just try one, we won't tell. Do the Marie Kondo thing with the studio and all the gear detritus that's still cluttering up closets and boxes in the garage, etc. Take an ear training course online. Read a gear manual! Have you ever read even one gear manual?

Last but not least - customize Reaper to your liking. Surely there will be a vaccine by the time you're done just doing that.

Music is still therapy. For me, the best.

nat

Meanwhile, I think it's worth our efforts to push Congress to try to save venues. They're as hard hit as musicians and other performers. They've formed an organization to push Congress to pass bills to support venues. More info is available here.

https://www.saveourstages.com

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Meanwhile, I think it's worth our efforts to push Congress to try to save venues. They're as hard hit as musicians and other performers. They've formed an organization to push Congress to pass bills to support venues. More info is available here.

https://www.saveourstages.com

I believe that's already happening in the UK.

Another satirical piece, although it gets political in one paragraph, the entire thing is laugh out loud. Sense of humor also required.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/readers/2020/07/10/just-imagine-first-day-school-august-amid-covid-19-opinion/5407571002/

Bob "Notes" Norton

A governmental agency stated that they felt they were not necessary.

As I said, millions of doctors, dentists, surgeons, first responders, nurses, and other health professionals wear them and suggest that everyone does the same. They have done so for decades. Jillions of Asians have known this for years as well, as they know the importance of wearing masks.

But because the CDC who is under the thumb of a government "leader" who doesn't want to "shut down the economy", everyone ignores that.

No one seems to have told their surgeon, "Hey, lose the mask. It's unhealthy. And I don't want you losing oxygen while you're operating on me."

See, the thing is that we all KNOW deep down inside that masks eliminates most breath from spreading to other people, but some will argue until they're blue in the face about it.

And I won't even get into science correcting itself, which I hesitate in saying was what happened here because, unbelievably, people have turned even common-sense mask-wearing into a political football.

None of that matters any more when this is going on:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-pandemic-parties-rage-despite-virus-20200710-emsjigrj6vbbtfcrezhmp2ajhq-story.html

These kids simply don't give a crap and don't care what any authority says from the president on down. This is going to be another Darwinian experiment that will unfortunately involve others who didn't sign up for it. The ultimate outcome will depend on how many of these kids actually get seriously sick and/or die. If the numbers are not too high, they'll say hey, a few of my friends died in motorcycle crashes, cliff diving, drugs or whatever else. They'll just shrug it off and party on. Look at all the stories concerning frat houses since the beginning of time.

Bob