Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On a Scale of 10, Rate the Internal Reward of Your Music

"On a Scale of 10, Rate the Internal Reward of Your Music Production"

Try to evaluate your musical production satisfaction over a long period of time,

lets say from 6 months to 5 years. Or longer.

The time period is up to you.

Note the topic is about " Internal " satisfaction.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 9.5/10

Recently, I overcame a week long hassle with Soundcloud on my licensing of a song.

But I persisted, played the game, and got the approval. That process was a slight impact

to my music production.

I find creating music to be highly rewarding.

Every day.

Not bragging. I enjoy what I do.

FYI, I don't care about the money side. That has zero to do with ' internal reward '.

[70's Songwriter]

I got to tell you Greg, it's hard to score sooooo high for me. I'd only say I feel so high a score if I'd put a hit on the Fusion Hot 100 that I'd feel in line with the previous century greats!

There's been an interesting development however in the last years I've tried to make processing and synthesizer/workstation/ROMpler signal path improvements along the lines of the showing congruence with known productions that I and most people like. Recently the work started to show results in terms of sounds I like, which leads to me liking productions I can create better. It's a highly complicated matter, but having better sounds in my feelings leads to more satisfying productions, thought that remains a complicated balancing process as well.

Theo

Sigh. I hate to say, actually. It has not been good lately. That's only slightly due to the pandemic, I think.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My main regret about my music production as far as internal reward is that I don't do more of it.

dB

Same here, but I get soooooo much satisfaction just sitting at a keyboard or stack of keyboards and just playing whatever notes that come into my head. It is both relaxation and release. 9 out of 10 for me.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I got to tell you Greg, it's hard to score sooooo high for me. I'd only say I feel so high a score if I'd put a hit on the Fusion Hot 100 that I'd feel in line with the previous century greats!

There's been an interesting development however in the last years I've tried to make processing and synthesizer/workstation/ROMpler signal path improvements along the lines of the showing congruence with known productions that I and most people like. Recently the work started to show results in terms of sounds I like, which leads to me liking productions I can create better. It's a highly complicated matter, but having better sounds in my feelings leads to more satisfying productions, thought that remains a complicated balancing process as well.

Theo

The fusion Hot 100 ;). Thats great !

I am on the Luke Warm and still kicking 10 million ;)

You bring up an important music production consideration. Your project sounds long term

and intensive. It takes time, patience. etc.

My ' stuff ' is short term, 3 week

song projects. Thats how I feed my muse everyday.

[70's Songwriter]

Sigh. I hate to say, actually. It has not been good lately. That's only slightly due to the pandemic, I think.

I hear you. If music is your life, life is challenged, unreasonably.

I watch the news on Houston and Covid almost every day.

Somehow, in 1 year, our lives will be much improved.

People think I am crazy when I assert this, but thats what I believe.

I also believe we have to Find a Silver Lining.

[70's Songwriter]

On a scale of 10, shuddup! :P 10 harmonics isn't even remotely enough to cover the spread. Some days, I just push the notes around like unwanted peas on a kid's plate until turning it all off because I'm clearly stuck in a Null setting. (No sin, it even happened to Zappa, a bit.) Sometimes, I give in to a new library and review the patches as a form of First World meditation. Then there are the sessions where I end up with a tidy handful of Farther Along, which is immensely satisfying. I also believe it was a Francis Preve MonoPoly patch that sounded like a well-tuned farting mosquito. The first time I played it for my sister, she sprayed Pepsi. Its a bit hard to qualify that, but it was damned well rewarding! :D:keys:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I love creating music and have developed my production skills. The problem is having the time to do it, especially the last four years when I was busy with elder care.

Time is more precious than money.

I retired 4 years ago and can set my own schedule, plan my day, screw off, etc.

And I figured out many years ago, that the simple life works for me.

[70's Songwriter]

My main regret about my music production as far as internal reward is that I don't do more of it.

dB

Same here, but I get soooooo much satisfaction just sitting at a keyboard or stack of keyboards and just playing whatever notes that come into my head. It is both relaxation and release. 9 out of 10 for me.

Great ! In a recent post, we discussed the release of endorphins, dopamine into the brain, when immersed in music production.

Its a Floating in a Cloud sensation. Wife also notices this ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Long term, I'm dissatisfied / ashamed. Maybe a 2.5. I was damn near a prodigy through high school and even somewhat in college, but I grew lazy and never took my musicianship where my natural talents could have gone.

Short term, day-by-day? Oddly, closer to 8. I get plenty of pleasure out of noodling nightly on a couple of keyboards. Not very productive -- when magic happens, it usually passes by and is not remembered the next morning -- but quite satisfying.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Good one, Rudy

I use to have 20 song ideas all at once

And after a few years, I realized I didn't finish anything.

I got determined. Some self talk:

nobody notices if you just show up to a race

its about how you finish

Finishing separates the men from the boys

Either you are serious about showing off your work or you

just want to noodle around, its up to you

Kick your ass into focusing and finishing the song or track

I have recorded/published 80 original songs. And I am not done.

[70's Songwriter]

Not sure for me I don't really believe recorded music gives me the same high as playing live. That's where it matters to me as the proof is in the pudding when it comes to what a bands do. That's where the big boys play. I was talking about this with a well known club owner the other day. Too often people can't replicate things live they have recorded and it comes off thin or uninspired. Recording is a part of the equation for me. I don't really like it, It's boring and takes a lot of time. That said I really respect people that are studio rats because it is a discipline to be able to lay down tracks well.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Mark, it depends what your priorities and goals and strengths are.

No dependence on local conditions here.

I am making progress growing a listener base on my SoundCloud

world wide.

I get that great buzz from my serious listeners.

I have little interest in playing live, locally , at this time.

Crime, logistics, cost, quirky venues, power failures

are the obstacles.

I know what works for me. We can choose whatever musical path that makes sense.

[70's Songwriter]

9.5/10, only because there's always room for improvement.

My studio is where it needs to be, my consulting gigs give me lots of time to write and perform music and create videos about cool new synths (coming soon in the GearLab), and I have a fabulous and supportive community of fellow musicians who love my concerts and my radio station. I am living my best life, and I try every day to remind myself of how bleeping LUCKY I am.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

My internal reward is "this one goes to 11"

Music is my therapy, and my joy. Anytime and anywhere I get to play music is always a 10.

Pretty much this as well. For me one of the few highlights of 2020 will be finishing a full album. It may never happen again - until the next pandemic :argue:

"On a Scale of 10, Rate the Internal Reward of Your Music Production"

Try to evaluate your musical production satisfaction over a long period of time,

lets say from 6 months to 5 years. Or longer..

Not sure for me I don't really believe recorded music gives me the same high as playing live. That's where it matters to me as the proof is in the pudding when it comes to what a bands do. That's where the big boys play. I was talking about this with a well known club owner the other day. Too often people can't replicate things live they have recorded and it comes off thin or uninspired. Recording is a part of the equation for me. I don't really like it, It's boring and takes a lot of time.

The topic changed from the title to the post. The title says "rate the internal reward of your music." The post adds the word "production." That changes everything. Playing live is where it's at for me. Studio production is not. The internal reward of playing live music can be off the scale of 10, depending on the music and the players I'm playing with. If they're really good and the music takes off into that transcendent place, there is no higher high. The rating goes to 11. Music production, in the sense of recording tracks is a tedious and boring chore. It's just work, so it rates somewhere at the low end of the scale.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

you make a good point.

Its not my intent to be restrictive.

Or pit " Studio music production satisfaction vs producing/performing live music

We have our strengths and preferences . Its not a surprise, we are playing to preferences,

what gives us that internal buzz.

As you said recording is tedious and boring- for you.

And you have a dependency:

"off the scale of 10, depending on the music and the players I'm playing with. If they're really good and the music takes off into that transcendent place, there is no higher high. The rating goes to 11."

I control my music production destiny. Every day. No if's. Its on me. I am not dependent on other musicians to jam with.

2 seemingly opposite statements can be equally true.

[70's Songwriter]

Playing live is where it's at for me. Studio production is not. The internal reward of playing live music can be off the scale of 10, depending on the music and the players I'm playing with. If they're really good and the music takes off into that transcendent place, there is no higher high. The rating goes to 11. Music production, in the sense of recording tracks is a tedious and boring chore. It's just work, so it rates somewhere at the low end of the scale.

Nicely put. That sums up anything I would have had to say on the subject except that for myself, I would have added "stressful" to the tedious and boring chore of studio recording. OOO

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Recording in a studio , home, or full on studio, successfully, is a skill.

And its a preference and an art to pursue.

4 years ago, when I started laying down tracks, they sounded rough.

I cringe today, when I hear them.

But like most things, over time, a person improves a skill.

I mentioned I am building an audience to my recorded material.

Since these are my ' babies ', I get immense internal reward

from listeners all over there world.

And yes, I get it here, I have noticed that many here have gigs, love the crowd,

get lots on internal satisfaction etc etc.

[70's Songwriter]

Usually, I'm horribly self-critical. Not that I consider my music horrible, but every time I listen to it after a period of time, I can't help thinking about all the things that could have been done better. Better solos, better interplay, better arrangement, better sound, etc.

About productivity, I'm not writing much these days, maybe for the first time in my life. Fact is, I have 10-12 albums ready to be recorded, and probably, the majority of them will never see the light. So it feels a bit silly to write more music.

Usually, I'm horribly self-critical. Not that I consider my music horrible, but every time I listen to it after a period of time, I can't help thinking about all the things that could have been done better. Better solos, better interplay, better arrangement, better sound, etc.

About productivity, I'm not writing much these days, maybe for the first time in my life. Fact is, I have 10-12 albums ready to be recorded, and probably, the majority of them will never see the light. So it feels a bit silly to write more music.

that's very common. It can be conquered.

Rudy made a similar remark above.

My answer [ copy/paste]:

I use to have 20 song ideas all at once

And after a few years, I realized I didn't finish anything.

I got determined. Some self talk:

nobody notices if you just show up to a race

its about how you finish

Finishing separates the men from the boys

Either you are serious about showing off your work or you

just want to noodle around, its up to you

Kick your ass into focusing and finishing the song or track

[70's Songwriter]

And you have a dependency:

"off the scale of 10, depending on the music and the players I'm playing with. If they're really good and the music takes off into that transcendent place, there is no higher high. The rating goes to 11."

I control my music production destiny. Every day. No if's. Its on me. I am not dependent on other musicians to jam with.

Preface: I'm only teasing. I think of these threads as sitting in the pub, hoisting a beverage, and blathering away.

But you have a dependency too. In the studio you are dependent on quality and expensive gear, software, and on other musicians if you don't do all the playing yourself. If you do all the playing yourself, you are limited by your abilities on all instruments. If you can't play horns and instead use synthetic horns to play a part, your music production suffers. Spoken as a sax player. :)

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Skills wise , i get better every day even as I get old. I am happy I can still get better. But I'm far being as good as say rick wakeman. And I dont have enough years to get that good. That makes me sad.

Financially, for every nickle I've made in music I've spent a thousand nickels. That's a bummer.

FunMachine.

Skills wise , i get better every day even as I get old. I am happy I can still get better. But I'm far being as good as say rick wakeman. And I dont have enough years to get that good. That makes me sad.

r.

you will never be Rick Wakeman. Or Herbie Hancock.

But you can be yourself. Rick and Herbie will never be you . Or me.

I am cool with that.

Like I said, in my o/p. Forget about the $.

That has zero to do with ' internal reward '

Listen to the old man.

[70's Songwriter]