Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craig, any thoughts on updating your Studio One book?

Any thoughts on upgrading your Studio One book for version 5? Any need to? I don't have Studio One but I am closely looking at Sphere as I move from Mac to Windows and give up Logic. When I make the move I will be looking for a good book. Including a section on the other components of Sphere may be reason enough to update the book.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on upgrading your Studio One book for version 5? Any need to? I don't have Studio One but I am closely looking at Sphere as I move from Mac to Windows and give up Logic. When I make the move I will be looking for a good book. Including a section on the other components of Sphere may be reason enough to update the book.

Excellent question. The books are more topic-specific, like how to get great vocals, how to get great guitar sounds, how to create compelling mixes, etc. So, most of that info translates from one version to the next because what the books cover is still in Studio One 5. However, there are some extra features that would be worth covering, although again, for something like the vocal book that also talks about microphones, setting levels, pop filters, interfaces, EQ, reverb, DSP techniques, etc., the books remain valid as is. Also, much of the "How to Create Compelling Mixes" is about the actual process of mixing, including artistic considerations.

That said, I do plan to revise the books over time, starting with the Vocals book (which was written first). Some of the revisions will be cosmetic, for example, the effects referenced in the vocals book have new interfaces and a few additional features. However, I've also learned some new techniques since writing the books, and will incorporate those, as well as new features that impact recording vocals.

I'm assuming that people will be reluctant to buy the books unless they say "Studio One 5" on them, but really, for topics like mixing, vocals, guitars, etc., there are more similarities than differences. I've asked PreSonus if it would be possible to offer people who already bought books the "Studio One 5" versions for half-price or something, but apparently this is not as easy as it might sound. Nonetheless, they're looking into it. I think it may be concerns about personal information and privacy, so the information needed to contact people who purchased the books may be difficult to obtain.

The one book that will not go out of date is the "Big Book of Tips and Tricks," because the tips relate to features that are part of Studio One's core. It's also one of the most popular books. :)

Studio One is unique, what I find most appealing is the speed with which I can put projects together. It doesn't try to be all things to all people, so it's laser-focused on doing the best possible job at what it does well.