Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Skinnable interfaces for DAWs...

Hey all,

I'd love to see major DAW manufacturers offer different skins for their software, or at a minimum, different color schemes. I just downloaded a demo of Cubase 10.5 and while it has some capabilities I don't have now with v6.5, the interface is dark. I much prefer the lighter tones of v6.5.

You can go into preferences and change a lot of the individual interface colors, but that's tedious at best. It would be great if there were simple global options for "bright", "dark", "medium", etc.

I know these companies spend quite a bit of time and money on interface design and aesthetics, so maybe true custom skins would be a much bigger endeavor. But I would prefer some different symbols for some of the Cubase controls.

Cubase isn't alone... It looks like Studio One and Logic both use a lot of dark tones and backgrounds. Pro Tools seems to be a bit more neutral.

Thoughts?

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You made me look!!!!!

In Settings, Waveform Pro (11) has:

15 language options for people around the world.

The ability to select any font that is loaded in the computer system as the default font

8 different Color Schemes with light and dark variations and 3 grayscale settings plus a seperate "Use Low Detail Interface" setting for computers with limited RAM and processing power.

And a "Display Scale" percentage setting.

2 default sizes for plugins.

You can also choose all sorts of default parameters for the position and/or color of various functions.

And, how your meters respond.

So, I have no idea why your choice of DAW isn't that cool... :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Cubase isn't alone... It looks like Studio One and Logic both use a lot of dark tones and backgrounds. Pro Tools seems to be a bit more neutral.

Thoughts?

Actually, Studio One gives a great deal of flexibility in terms of luminance, coloring, bright/dark, contrast, etc., and saving them as presets. I find this very handy because I can use different settings for screen shots where contrast makes everything more legible, brightness and colors when things need to "pop" at seminars, and a darker vibe when working in my studio at night. Cakewalk is a DAW that offers extensive customization, including themes that can change the look completely. I came up with a black-and-white type thing to make the program look like an Oberheim SEM :)

Well, it sounds like it might just be a Steinberg weakness. You can customize the color of everything with Cubase 10.5, but given how tedious that can be, I would actually prefer theme presets with customization. In the absence of that, it would be great if users could share color customizations that they have created.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase