Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Make Keyboards Great Again

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I could pity him, but I don't.

I never told him to get all snarled up in that stuff!!!

Birds are the original samplers, no? I use to whistle riffs to mockingbirds and they would spread them far and wide. If you could find a quiet place with a significant mockingbird population you could make a heck of a record.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Birds are the original samplers, no? I use to whistle riffs to mockingbirds and they would spread them far and wide. If you could find a quiet place with a significant mockingbird population you could make a heck of a record.
Depending on how long we have to quarantine in the US, I may need to consider this for my next recording project...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I used to conduct similar experiments with a GF's cockatiel. It would get very excited every day right before the Andy Griffith rerun came on TV, and try to mimic the theme. But it was too brief for it to learn it very well, so being a good whistler back then, I would teach it to the bird after the show went off.

I think a forest full of mockingbirds doing the Smoke On the Water riff, or the recorder part to Stairway to Heaven, would freak me out.

Never thought to try this. They're all over my property.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Never thought to try this. They're all over my property.

At 3am in Fresno in the summertime you can hear them all around you. If you rode a bicycle for 5 miles in any direction you would hear them all the way. There was always automobile noise and other noise too, not a good place for the project.

I'd get home from a club gig all wound up and go out into the back yard. After listening for bit, I'd whistle a riff and repeat it until the nearby birds picked it up. It probably spread for miles, like a ripple in a pond.

Get some 100' mic cables and you could have natural delay and counterpoint.

We don't have any mimicing birds up here in Bellingham. I'd love to hear somebody do something with it.

Conversely, I have a couple of regular morning songbirds outside my music room that I think I may try to notate and turn into one or more compositions.

That sounds lovely. Maybe sneak a recording of them into it?

A couple of evenings ago I was out walking, power lines above me. Two crows landed on the lines and barraged me with "caws". It made me laugh.

As I continued to walk the crow that was farthest behind me would fly up a little ways ahead and they continued their joyful racket.

They leapfrogged each other 5 times like that before they let me go, never had birds do that before. It was awesome.

Conversely, I have a couple of regular morning songbirds outside my music room that I think I may try to notate and turn into one or more compositions.

This is what Olivier Messiaen did with birdsong.

[video:youtube]

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Mellotron: its history, its checkered heritage, its ancestors, its off-the-wall siblings, its glorious sounds, the many great records it's appeared on...

Would I ever own one? Aw HAYULL naw. No chance. I've worked on them, I've played them when there was no other alternative, and more than a lot of other instruments out there, what we hear on records or see in demo films like this one represented the absolute best of what they could do, without broken tapes, misaligned keys, motor wobble depending on how many notes you held down...

I am well aware of my heretic status. I will keep playing Mellotrons in software, every one I can find, and watch the original being bashed around by Geoff Unwin (it's a miracle the tape shuttled as accurately as it did during his fast changes) followed by that lovely Pathé lady on the rooster.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music