Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic/Electric Recommendation

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an acoustic electric guitar. I am small statured and need a smaller body guitar. I am thinking of either an Ovation Super Shallow Guitar or a Yamaha APX. Any recommendations? Thanks in Advance. Stay well!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your budget is an important consideration.

So is availability, it's important to play a guitar you are considering as they do vary. At least the wood ones do.

A friend has an older CA Cargo RAW guitar, it is smaller and sounds/plays fantastic.

I have a Rainsong OM 1000 from the earlier "100% carbon" Woodenville era, they are using other composites now. I have not played the newer ones so I cannot comment.

I wouldn't trade my Rainsong for anything, everybody who tries it wants to buy it. My brother has one as well, it is equally fantastic. Not cheap and VERY difficult to find.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think I would lean toward the Yamaha in your price range. But, a trip to your nearest GC to try them both out (along with any other brands like an Epiphone) would be well worth it...good hunting! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I love my Ovation full bowl, but recognize their bright tone is love/hate. And the shallow bowls tend to sound best when plugged in. The neck is also more like an electric in overall contours.

Yamahas are very good bang for the buck. Hard to beat on the low end, especially.

Rainsongs are killer, end of story. Other ones to consider with similar material construction would be KLOS and the Blackbird Rider (if you can find one).

Godin is a Canadian company that makes great electrics as well as a few acoustic electrics. But they also own a bunch of subsidiaries* making acoustics & acoustic electrics for all budgets and in most standard bodystyles. Personally, I prefer their Seagulls.

* Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick and La Patrie

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Generally.... pick the guitar first regardless of electronics. Once you find the guitar if it is electric then it"s a bonus. If not you can add the electronics. But I guess this advice is geared for upper budget brackets. You don"t want to spend more on a electronics install than the guitar.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My old working acoustic for years was a Ovation I got in the 80s. I had to retire it. It started to develop catastrophic structural issues. That is when I got my Martin a year or so ago. Then I"ve seen a lot of bad stuff come through the shop. My personal thoughts on Ovation is it"s a good product and it may provide a fine 20 years of service but I wouldn"t expect one to last forever like a good conventional wood acoustic.

But .... I was a working player. My guitar had a hard life through the 80s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hi,

I am looking to purchase an acoustic electric guitar. I am small statured and need a smaller body guitar. I am thinking of either an Ovation Super Shallow Guitar or a Yamaha APX. Any recommendations? Thanks in Advance. Stay well!

I'm a long-time Ovation fan, BUT . . . be very aware that a lot of the Guitars that say "Ovation" on the headstock are actually budget imports, under the Celebrity line, which you may not notice until you look at the label inside the soundhole. They're not truly awful, but they're not at the same level as U.S.-made Ovations. I love the Super-Shallow Bowl design, but it was really meant to be plugged in, and doesn't project as well when unplugged; this is even more of an issue with the less expensive Celebrity models.

I have not played a new Yamaha A/E in years, so I really can't speak to their quality. At one time, Yamaha made very good, and very affordable Acoustic Guitars.

FWIW, Breedlove makes some affordable smaller-bodied Guitars, as well. Here's one for just under $400 -

Breedlove CE Sunburst

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Isn"t there also a pretty good small Taylor out there?

Unless they've changed the design a good bit, I never liked the Baby Taylor. It had a bolt-on neck, with a neck joint like a Strat or Tele, and no neck heel; kind of weird. They never seemed quite up to the quality of the rest of the line, either. The GS Mini series looks nice enough, but they start at $500, and quickly get up around $650+/-.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com