Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows MIDI inputs ... gone?

In the process of evaluating MIDI-over-Ethernet solutions, and installing/uninstalling software like rtpMIDI and ipMIDI... I seem to have nuked MIDI inputs entirely. (Win10 pro)

Standalone apps, hosts... none of them show MIDI inputs. Even after plugging in an iRig device (which shows up in device manager, along with ipMIDI)... nada.

I"ve already looked at the Korg MIDI port utility, and I"m not showing more than 10 devices, so it"s not like I"ve used up all MIDI ports.

I suspect something went very far south in the registry, but if anyone has ideas, I"m all ears. My Google-fu did not bear fruit.

-John

I make software noises.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I"ve had these issues on Windows in the past. I would clear the devices from the registry and reboot, reinstalling exactly as the manufacturer explains in their documentation. Sometimes Windows does odd stuff like assign a device a generic driver if you attach it to the PC without going through the installation process in the correct sequence.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Ouch, I feel your pain. I just installed rtpMIDI yesterday, and it took 3 aborted attempts. It only installed I rebooted with nothing open, then went to services.msc and manually stopped the rtpMIDI service. Then it installed quick and easy.

Can you restore any backups -- your registry file specifically, or just a general backup / rollback?

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I considered reaching out to Pete Brown, but I'm in an even deeper hole now.

I restored from a system restore point, but apparently this was prior to my Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home. So, reapply upgrade? Nope... upgrade product key now says it's not valid, even though I've installed it before. :-/

Get on the horn with Microsoft support: "reinstall Windows".

My bad for not creating a system restore point right after the Win 10 Pro upgrade. I'm not THAT many hours into software installs but OOF...

-John

I make software noises.

Precisely why I abandoned Windows. The peripherals on my Windows 2000 computer stopped working for no apparent reason. CD drives, printers, etc. And it sits behind a powerful firewall (BlackIce) so not likely to be malware. That never happened on older versions of Windows. That firewall software isn't compatible with newer Windows; I have an XP netbook that I had to take off the internet because it was constantly getting infected with drive-by malware, XP firewall sucks and I had no faith in newer versions. I got tired of the frustrations and jumped ship to Mac OSX.

This is the first time in years of use that I've had this many issues with Windows 10, especially on a fresh install. I suspect my overly enthusiastic install/uninstall efforts with network MIDI tools was the cause. Proceeding with caution and more frequent checkpoints. :|

Thanks again all.

I make software noises.

I snagged my daughter's old PC after building a new one for her, making it my "VST" box. Bought the Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home so I could remote desktop into it.

Initially it was all fine until I mucked about installing/uninstalling software like copperlan, rtpMIDI, and ipMIDI. In fact, thinking about it now, I'm wondering if the copperlan uninstall was the culprit, but I can't be 100% sure.

Current status: windows 10 reset and re-upgraded (with new restore point immediately post-upgrade...)...

And still no MIDI inputs showing. :-| Will keep plugging away....

I make software noises.

To those who hate Windows, there's no problem at all with Win 10 and audio. Talking about Win 2000 is like talking about a 1970 Ford Pinto compared to a 2020 Mustang GT and XP is what all the hackers cut their teeth on. All those old versions of windows were easily pirated. Every kid in his basement had a CD with a pirated 2000 or XP on it and that continued through Win 7. Even I got caught up in that. I paid a guy to build me a nice new Win 7 machine and when I went to do the free upgrade to Win 10 five years later I was notified my version was not authorized even though I got the updates. Win 10 has pretty much solved all that because the upgrades are free now.

JohnChop what are the specs of that machine?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

7th gen i5 with 16 GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Two NICs (one for Soundgrid, one for everything

else)

I took the nuclear option and did a clean win 10 pro install.

AND STILL no midi input devices showing. Big mystery time.

Right now I"ve got an iRig keys IO plugged, which is class compliant for MiDI. Shows up in device manager. I"ll have to try on another machine to confirm nothing"s up with the keyboard or the USB cable.

Wacky.

I make software noises.

Is it a new build? Or just a Windows 10 upgrade?

Could the USB card be the issue?

Same thought here- does anything work via USB? Try something non- midi related. My USB controller fried on my ASUS board early last year.

Yep. USB devices like keyboard, wireless adapter, external disk... no problems at all.

I've tried different ports as well.

The iRig shows in the device manager, but is not registering as a MIDI device in any host. Likewise the ipMIDI trial is running but the port isn't showing up. Not even the Soundgrid MIDI components show up, whereas Soungrid is otherwise working fine for audio.

This makes me think the whole MIDI subsystem is somehow borked. And on a wipe and reload install... how?! It's bananas, especially due to MIDI devices working before (in Win 10 Home and post-upgrade with Pro), and after some software installs/uninstalls, they blinked out. And now with a completely fresh install? Nada.

I make software noises.

Yep. USB devices like keyboard, wireless adapter, external disk... no problems at all.

I've tried different ports as well.

The iRig shows in the device manager, but is not registering as a MIDI device in any host. Likewise the ipMIDI trial is running but the port isn't showing up. Not even the Soundgrid MIDI components show up, whereas Soungrid is otherwise working fine for audio.

This makes me think the whole MIDI subsystem is somehow borked. And on a wipe and reload install... how?! It's bananas, especially due to MIDI devices working before (in Win 10 Home and post-upgrade with Pro), and after some software installs/uninstalls, they blinked out. And now with a completely fresh install? Nada.

Wow - really strange.

Did you reformat before reinstalling? If not that's what I'd try next.

Edit

And on a wipe and reload install

Sorry, never mind.

Hi, question. Just clarifying - is this a home build or a HP, Sony, etc. PC?

After you installed Windows 10. Did you first go get all the drivers for the motherboard and attached controllers? Audio card, NIC card, USB controller, etc.? I know when I upgraded my Lenovo to Win 10 I had to go fetch a lot of Windows 10 drivers to get things functioning properly again - there were a few generic Windows drivers handling things after reboot.

Hey John- when did the Korg whatever get loaded in? It seems like you really have to take this one step at a time. I would suggest a complete reformat, reload Win 10 and then load midi Ox only. Then plug in a known working midi device (proven on another pc) which uses a class compliant driver.

That"s what I would do.

Edit: I would also temporarily remove any Internal sound/audio/midi cards before the above steps.

ElmerJ- it"s a Lenovo but MIDI was working with the fresh windows 10 install for some time, until it stopped.

Markyb- yes have definitely been going a step at a time since I wiped the drive and reinstalled yesterday, but at this point have nothing to lose by a wipe and reload, starting with midi ox only.

Will report back after that.

I make software noises.

Ok - this seems too coincidental:

I just downloaded and installed the latest driver for my RME interface. After I rebooted Reaper seemed fine. However no sound from Youtube. My regular PC audio stuff normally runs through the RME card as well although I have a second card which it defaulted to (and routed to separate speakers which were off). But the 16 RME channels did not show up.

Turns out the latest Windows update disabled all my WDM ports in the audio interface driver. This has never happened before but I found this via Google:

Following the most recent update of Windows 10, some customers have found that their RME Fireface will function normally in their DAW, however, it will not appear in Windows Audio Manager. This causes all sound to be routed through the PC audio driver.

In these cases, enabling at least one WDM port from inside the program MADIface Settings has resolved the issue.

I'm guessing you have a similar thing happening due to the Windows update, only with midi. I would check your midi driver more carefully- perhaps another tab for that driver in Device Manager.

Heh well in this case, I get the Golden D"oh award (Palm D"oh?)

When connecting to this box after the second install, I had set up a new Remote Desktop session and forgot to check 'play audio on remote machine' which fouled up the MIDI situation.

It still doesn"t explain the sudden disappearance of MIDI inputs from installing and uninstalling software, but I"ll take the L and move on.

In the words of Dr. Johnny Fever, 'Speed kills, Del.'

As you were.

-John

I make software noises.

Heh well in this case, I get the Golden D"oh award (Palm D"oh?)

When connecting to this box after the second install, I had set up a new Remote Desktop session and forgot to check 'play audio on remote machine' which fouled up the MIDI situation.

It still doesn"t explain the sudden disappearance of MIDI inputs from installing and uninstalling software, but I"ll take the L and move on.

In the words of Dr. Johnny Fever, 'Speed kills, Del.'

As you were.

-John

Secrets, John! You kept secrets from us! ;)