Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody remember "Modern Keyboard" magazine?

I was just reminded that this magazine existed back in the late '80s. It didn't seem to be around for long, but I remember being impressed with it at the time. It had some transcriptions and interviews that I got a lot out of. Does anyone know the story behind it? Where did it come from, who was behind it, and why didn't it last longer?

106921608_640542516558298_6028873036605355464_n.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 7.31.34 PM.png

1210.jpg.f5136a1866e18e974105342d5d9fc3eb.jpg

1211.png.e67dc1272acfb03a63209b6ec44637eb.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It came up recently in a thread where someone was looking for an article about Brett Tuggle. Once pinkfloydcramer mentioned that it might have been in another magazine, it triggered my memory about what was originally called Keyboard World and then quickly renamed Modern Keyboard.

It was published by the same company that did Guitar World, hence the original name. I have a total of four issues, the three you posted and the original Keyboard World issue with none other than the granddaddy of all keyboard players on the cover, Eddie Van Halen. :D

AFAIK, that was all they did, but it's possible based on the timing of when they were published, I might have missed issues after those. After the thread, I wrote to someone at Guitar World to see if they had any idea, but I have not heard back. With the changes in the magazine industry and ownership, I would be surprised if anyone currently at GW was there back then. I'd probably be better off seeing if I could find the editor or someone else on staff on FB or something like that and contacting them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've sent a message on FB to the Editor-in-Chief, Brad Tolinski. I'll let you know if he responds.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I loved that magazine. I remember the transcriptions being great. I want to say that they even released a book of them...? Were they behind the book called something like "1000 Keyboard Ideas"?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My earliest magazines were High Fidelity, Popular Hot Rodding, Modern Electronics, Electronic Musician, and Keyboard. Actually, I forgot, also Radio Electronics.

My main reason to subscribe to magazines back then was that we sold magazine subscriptions in school for fund raising. Don't know if they still do that, but fundraising got me hooked on magazines just like the "Record and tape club" got me checking of everything that looked interesting to me musically to listen to. The 3rd leg of the stool was the vinyl stores.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I remember that magazine and it's transcriptions of the organ solos from Roundabout and Highway Star. And one of 1999. @Josh, I don't recall any Dr. John transcriptions, but it may have been in an issue I missed. I also remember an excerpt from Big Mac in Keyboard. I copied it and think I still have it somewhere. Could you have the mags mixed up in that case?

That's right, I had forgotten about the "Roundabout" solo, even though I tried to learn it for a high school Battle-of-the-Bands dance. (Spoiler alert: we didn't win.) The Ray Manzarek issue mentions Dr. John on the cover, though I could certainly be misremembering whether the article included a transcription.

It was published by the same company that did Guitar World, hence the original name. I have a total of four issues, the three you posted and the original Keyboard World issue with none other than the granddaddy of all keyboard players on the cover, Eddie Van Halen. :D

As well he should be, with the pioneering work he was doing back then with the Nord Lead.

Actually, all that taken together makes me wonder if the magazine's very existence was the result of somebody at Guitar World losing a bet. "Okay, FINE, I lost so we'll publish a keyboard magazine... but we're putting Eddie Van Halen on the cover, so there!"

I definitely missed the Manzarek issue.

I think that the magazine started as a more accessible and low-tech alternative to Keyboard and lost it's focus towards the end. One of the last issues featured Cecil Taylor. No accompanying transcription. From Eddie Van Halen to the avante garde?

I have the EVH issue. Always wondered why there weren't many more. Rick Wakeman was in the same issue and they chose to have a guitar hero grace the cover. Being published by Guitar World explains a lot. Maybe GW ran out of guitar heroes to put on the cover of a keyboard magazine.

The Ray Manzarek issue mentions Dr. John on the cover, though I could certainly be misremembering whether the article included a transcription.

"Memories of Professor Longhair." Pages 103 - 108 with a lead in on how to play his grace notes or "ruffs."

One image below is the editor's reasoning for EVH on the cover. The other is what I thought was a great quote from Dr. John about Fess. :D

1213.jpg.81a903c8fb65a4ce133087d3feb0d1e6.jpg

1214.jpg.b0f507f32d93d906e3a7bb23fd9f9fd1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey There!

I actually still have most of those transcriptions. I did'nt keep the magazines unfortunately. I dust detached the pages I wanted and copied them into a binder with a lot of other Keyboard Magazine articles on playing and technique! Modern Keyboard (as it was later known) was a GREAT magazine! For those of us that owned DX7's at the time, they even provided patch settings to get you relatively close to the keyboard sound being used on the recordings. Although trying to emulate a B3 organ with distortion on a DX7 was most likely not easy! Keyboard World was around for quite a while prior to it going mainstream covering synths and going mainstream. If what I see on Ebay is correct, the magazine covered people who played console organs and piano at one point.

~ Anthony

• 1 month later...
I've sent a message on FB to the Editor-in-Chief, Brad Tolinski. I'll let you know if he responds.

He finally did! I invited him to join us, since we're no longer part of the "opposition." :D

Just seeing this for some reason. I forget how many issues we did...four sounds about right. Let's see...the covers were Devo, Jon Lord, Eddie Van Halen and, and...hmmm, maybe just three! Essentially, we were sued out of existence by Keyboard Magazine. They were owned by the same people that owned Guitar Player and they didn't want of rerun of how Guitar World ended up trouncing Guitar Player. We actually went to court over the use of the word "keyboard" in our title. The judge made a very ambiguous ruling, but my publisher just didn't want to chance going back to court again, so he pulled the plug.

Ironically, I ended up editing Guitar World and really, really, really trounced Guitar Player! But I was bummed...I really had a vision for Modern Keyboard. It could've been totally fun! Thank everyone out there who was paying attention and still care this many years later...

I did remind him the fourth cover was Ray Manzarek. He said he was a "terrific guy."

I picked up the copy with the "Roundabout" transcription at the NAMM Show in the 80s. Liked the magazine and sent in for a subscription. Never got another issue and now I know why.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The original title of Keyboard was Contemporary Keyboard. I suspect "Modern" was a bit too close for comfort for the publishers, and that the court agreed. IDK, I was a high school kid reading them at the time.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse