Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talking Heads : Burning Down The House

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww yeah! That is one of the funkiest, stankiest licks ever to come out of an analog synth. I remember covering it in my college band and trying to get anything similar out of a DX-7. I got some FM nastiness that was reasonably evocative, but it didn't really come close.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

According to an interview Jerry Harrison gave in Keyboard mag, Wally Badarou played the part on the session with a rev2 Prophet 5 and a Roland T-Wah, as well as the funky comps. Bernie Worrell played the parts in the "Stop Making Sense" movie so everyone attributes the part to him.

Harrison disliked rev3 Prophets, so the band used only rev2's at the time. The fluty synth parts were his.

Bill H, you are correct and I actually forgot about the album version of this song, which was Mr. Badarou. The one that I immediately remember is the live version from Stop Making Sense, which was a little more "off the chain" and funky.

Regards,

Eric

Hey Eric, I wouldn't have remembered it either, but I was boxing up some old Keyboard mags awhile ago and re-read the article. Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads keyboard player) was kind of coy in the interview, and was not specific when questioned about who played the wah solo, but instead responded that Wally Badarou "played a number of parts in that song." Draw your own conclusions.

• 5 months later...

Our new moderator, Steve Fortner, has prompted me to bump this thread. He starting waxing philosophically in another unrelated thread about the Poly Evolver KB's ability to nail the solo sync sound from Burning Down the House. Steve's quote from the other thread takes this down Evolver Lane:

Speaking of well-built things, there'll be some sound samples of the PEK posted soon. If anyone wants to get that "Burning Down the House" sound I talk about in the review, and you have the keyboard or rack, try this:

1. Punch up "Executioner," which is bank 1, #28 on the PE-KB. Dave created this sound, by the way.

2. Reduce the release time of the amp until the envelope is pretty much sqaure, and back off to taste on the delay amounts.

3. I like a little more glide on the analog oscillators than the digital ones, and also to increase the analog oscs' levels relative to the digital too. This way, the pitch of the digital bite provides this cool anchor point for the analog fat to catch up to.

4. Get out yer copy of "Speaking in Tounges" and listen to the synth break right after Byrne sings "People on their way to work say baby what do you expect / All burst into flame"

5. Play this lick

6. Grin from ear to ear.

This is a big deal to me because I've played in cover bands that do this tune, and nothng has ever touched the aggressiveness and grease of that short Bernie Worrell part. Until now. A composer friend of mine at one gig who's a huge TH fan accosted me on set break going "You got that sound! How?"

My take is that the PEK Bank 1, #37 "Ring On Sync" sound is in the same ballpark with a little more of the cliched Hard Sync sound happenin'. Anyone else have favorite sounds and sources for recreating this classic sound?

Regards,

Eric

• 14 years later...
I'm not sure, but was it Bernie Worrell that played the solo on Burning Down The House?

and... which synth was used?

Even in the 80's there were memorable non-prog synth moments.

According to an interview Jerry Harrison gave in Keyboard mag, Wally Badarou played the part on the session with a rev2 Prophet 5 and a Roland T-Wah, as well as the funky comps. Bernie Worrell played the parts in the "Stop Making Sense" movie so everyone attributes the part to him.

Nothing like a zombie thread on a hot summer day. :)

Read this today in the WSJ. Hope it's not behind a pay wall, I'm a subscriber.

My two takes from this article.

Bill H. is correct (I already knew thast and posted it in another thread similiar to this one)

I think its really cool that a paper like the WSJ does stories like this one. :cool:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-byrne-and-talking-heads-on-burning-down-the-house-11594042472?mod=hp_featst_pos4

:nopity: