Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of OT: Are prices on New Keyboards, etc , too high ?

It really is that

Its all a big ;)

[j/k]

Yep. Just go buy a decent MIDI controller, a mid-range laptop and stuff it with cool plugins. There is where the bang for the buck lives...

Simple.

OMG, why didn't;t I think of that 9 years ago !!!

{{smacking my forehead }}

OMG, why hasn't every recent Fantom, Montage, MODX and Kronos owner done just that !!! ??

Award Winning Post material ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With

Iys

Gotta love conspiracy theories!!!1 :laugh:

I.

Did you inform the UK Govt' that its a 'conspiracy theory ' ? ;)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/musical-instrument-firms-to-pay-millions-after-breaking-competition-law

'Yamaha was granted total immunity from fines for being the first to bring the conduct to the attention of the CMA'.

[70's Songwriter]

Hi Bif.. where am I going ? Is your question, correct ?

You quoted it... challenge our thinking ...

I think knowledge is power.

I get what Bif_ is asking. What is the end game besides having this knowledge? A lot of us in this thread have agreed with your objective statements about the big 3's pricing.

Yes, knowledge is power. What is it you would like us to do with that power? Not buy the Flagship boards unless they are drastically reduced in price?

Protest outside their headquarters demanding "fair" prices?

So, yes, the educating on the company's pricing structure and methods is a good exercise.

In the end, it comes to the subjective value of any item to the consumer. Arbitrary (and ridiculous) example: Company sells a product for $3000 that costs them $100 to make. The company has no problem moving that product at that price. Everyone knows (all consumers) the huge markup of the product.

Some consumers will say "absolutely, this is worth it to me, I will buy it at that price." Other consumers will say "no way, that's way overpriced, I won't buy it"

Both are okay. That's why we have choices. Fairness should not play a part in this.

There are MANY things out there I'd like to have that are a bit out of my reach or comfort level to buy, price-wise. Many of those things have huge profit margins and I know it.

I do not lament the fact it's not for me to buy at this time, nor do I think it's unfair.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Hi Bif.. where am I going ? Is your question, correct ?

You quoted it... challenge our thinking ...

I think knowledge is power.

I get what Bif_ is asking. What is the end game besides having this knowledge? A lot of us in this thread have agreed with your objective statements about the big 3's pricing.

Yes, knowledge is power. What is it you would like us to do with that power? Not buy the Flagship boards unless they are drastically reduced in price?

LOL

David, too funny.

Yes, I am going to ride around town on my bike today, and shake my fist at the sky and yell:

" Prices are too Damn High ! "

I think you are wise enough to see that us musicians/artist have certain similarities and interesting differences on how we function

and proceed in life.

So , I cannot tell you what to do with more knowledge. I can't tell Bif.

What you do with more knowledge is on you.

Or maybe some don't want to be bothered with more complex

or financial details.

Or maybe you and Bif and others already know it all

in regards to the 3 Big Dogs. I really can't say.

My intuition isn't always on.

I know exactly what I will do with more scrutinizing of the 3 Big Dogs and their high

pricing. I will continue studying these 3 co's for one.

Whenever I make a purchase, I have steps that I follow.

It involves extra work, more time.

Some here might say " I don't need to do that, no time for that '.

But who givesaShit what I do ? Thats my bubble.

if folks agree, and I see 5 or 6 on this topic, that have said so, that's

also cool.

Hope this clears up your questions. Thanks.

[70's Songwriter]

Well, perhaps you should be railing at the capitalistic system that creates hard-to-bear markups. A tremendous amount of competition is simply eliminated because fledgling companies don't have the capital to stick it out for years and years to develop a product and their name recognition. It creates a built-in advantage, even monopolies as a result.

The solution is simple: socialize all music instrument companies and you'll be the president to make sure there's capital enough for promising new companies, and the prices of the established companies are based on fair profit margins!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I'm surprised this thread is still going given there is no practical advice in it. My wife and I have bought lots of stuff over the last several years: cars, bicycles, kitchen appliances, solar panels, bathtubs . . . the list goes on and on. Raising a family and changing houses 3 times entails a mind-boggling array of large item purchases. If you buy one big item a year and can take your time, maybe you can try to factor profit margin into your decision. For us, and I think for most people, there just isn't enough time in the day.

In the end, profit margin is just one factor among many. What matters most is the value of a product to me.

I'm sure GregC has a response to this, and this discussion will continue to go round and round in circles.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm surprised this thread is still going given there is no practical advice in it. My wife and I have bought lots of stuff over the last several years: cars, bicycles, kitchen appliances, solar panels, bathtubs . . . the list goes on and on. Raising a family and changing houses 3 times entails a mind-boggling array of large item purchases. If you buy one big item a year and can take your time, maybe you can try to factor profit margin into your decision. For us, and I think for most people, there just isn't enough time in the day.

In the end, profit margin is just one factor among many. What matters most is the value of a product to me.

I'm sure GregC has a response to this, and this discussion will continue to go round and round in circles.

Asked and Answered.

See my post reply to David/Escape Rocks.

If there are any questions, personal or otherwise, PM me.

Considerations/cicumstances will vary from person to person, therefore I am willing to discuss a situation you or anyone might have.

[70's Songwriter]

I live off the grid easily on solar, although I have thought about adding a few small roof-mounted windmills and unless you count getting up and washing them off every 6 months or so maintenance has cost me $0 over 2 and a half years Although he uses over 4 times the amount of power I used even when I was on the grid.

I live off the grid easily on solar, although I have thought about adding a few small roof-mounted windmills and unless you count getting up and washing them off every 6 months or so maintenance has cost me $0 over 2 and a half years Although he uses over 4 times the amount of power I used even when I was on the grid like in this blog https://websolarguide.com/outdoor-solar-panel/.

Seems interesting.