Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Ennio Morricone

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, the brilliant trumpeter Ryan Anthony passed away at age 51 after a long and courageous battle with cancer. He created 'Cancer Blows' as a charitable foundation. Morricone"s 'Gabriel"s Oboe' from The Mission became a signature concert piece for Anthony.

[video:youtube]

The closing scene* & theme of Cinema Paradiso gives me goosebumps everytime. So as not to spoil the impact for anyone who hasn"t seen it, here it"s performed by Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden:

* It"s available on YouTube.

I got to know him once, 15 years ago or so.

It happened at a concert by the great IALS Sax Quartet here in Rome; they played both a piece of mine ("Rewind" for saxes and electronics), and a suite of pieces from Morricone, quite typical of his "serious" music. He was there, so we were introduced, and started talking a bit.

He was incredibly available to chat and exchange ideas, not a trace of looking down on others. He seems genuinely interested in my piece, and asked for info about the electronic sonorities, the synchronization, etc.

Also a very serious guy, not very inclined to joke or laugh - but at the same time, totally humble and genuinely curious.

What a master. He'll be missed.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Last week, the brilliant trumpeter Ryan Anthony passed away at age 51 after a long and courageous battle with cancer. He created 'Cancer Blows' as a charitable foundation. Morricone"s 'Gabriel"s Oboe' from The Mission became a signature concert piece for Anthony.

I don't log in often and I post even less frequently, but I've been around this forum for 15 years. Your post is why I keep coming back. I don't know anything about trumpets other than Miles Davis' work. I never heard of Ryan Anthony. I never heard of Ennio Morricone although I am apparently familiar with a lot of his work.

But this was just incredible. So moving. Just a beautiful performance and so emotional. Thank you for posting this.

I can't recommend "The Legend of 1900" enough. Its one of the best music-based films I've ever seen, with great humor and ample passion. Tim Roth has immense acting range and this is one of his very best vehicles. Its a major contrast with his playing of the bad guy 'The Abomination' in "The Incredible Hulk," of all things! Put "1900" on your short list. Its yet another celebration of Morricone.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

One of the greatest!

I'm Greek and he was Italian so we were "neighborhoods"...

Let me say goodbye with words from both languages...

ÎÎ±Î»Ï ÏαÏάδειÏο, ÎαέÏÏÏο!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com