Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Knifonium VST

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of JMJ's faves.

dB

Mine too. I gotta work on one of my neighbors to acquire a real one.

Oh Paoloooo....

Mark, we do have another neighbor who already has one! Tom :)

That said, this plugin sounds fantastic... I've played the real one at Tom's studio and perhaps it will not be 100% of course due to the tubes, but I love what I'm hearing on this demo. Plugins really have gone a long way since the late '90s when one could immediately tell a soft synth from a real one. Today I don't think many people would be able to tell the difference :confused:

One of JMJ's faves.

dB

Oh Paoloooo....

That said, this plugin sounds fantastic... I've played the real one at Tom's studio and perhaps it will not be 100% of course due to the tubes, but I love what I'm hearing on this demo.

Road trip.

It"s a software emulation of a $15k+ monophonic synth with 26 vacuum tubes in its design.

Which I have played at Jonte's place in Helsinki. It's a damned great sounding and impressive synth, oozing quality construction from every pore. Everything is handmade except the tubes (he even machined the joystick himself), and it's a glorious experience to play.

$15,000 glorious? YMMV.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Sounds good, although a bit too well-educated.

That"s fair although I wonder if it"s a result of what they chose to present. I"m hoping to get the chance to show otherwise.

Please do! :)

What do you mean exactly with "too well-educated" Marino? I quite dig the sounds of that video.

Rudy

What do you mean exactly with "too well-educated" Marino? I quite dig the sounds of that video.

Well - just listen to demos of the real one and you will hear the difference. I'm not saying that the VST doesn't sound good, because it does. Just a bit more polite, if you follow me... the original has a wildness which is quite difficult to port into digital code. My opinion,of course.

Think "refined" or even "tame". At least that's how I interpreted it. One thing for certain, no one's ever used the word "educated"

in describing any of my patches.

Unfortunately the same is true for my playing :wah:.

Edit: Carlo beat me to it.

In the user manual it advises only having it powered on when using it and best to limit it to a few hours at a time (paraphrasing). That right there is a non- starter for me (in case the price wasn't enough of a deterrent).

I wonder if the VST "evolves" over time based on how long you have it running?

Well - just listen to demos of the real one and you will hear the difference. I'm not saying that the VST doesn't sound good, because it does. Just a bit more polite, if you follow me... the original has a wildness which is quite difficult to port into digital code. My opinion,of course.

Ok thanks for the explanation Carlo. I actually didn't know this synth, so will definitely listen to some original recordings.

Rudy

One thing for certain, no one's ever used the word "educated"

in describing any of my patches.

It's definitely a language thing. :) I translated too literally.

I think that the best English word in this case would be "well-behaved".

I've also gotten to spend some time with the real thing thanks to Geoff Farr in L.A. I don't know if I've ever played a synth more appropriately described as a living, breathing creature. And the build quality, the keyboard in particular, is like some artisanal pipe organ. Haven't played the VST yet but I do know that John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl helped develop it for Brainworx. He is one of the most talented developers in the industry:

https://www.pluginguru.com/about/

Steve Nathan, here's the link to the video, which seems to be the only public material up at this time.

However, the release date is tomorrow, July 7, so we'll have hands-on opinions soon enough!

Um, wait, who'd like me to ask John and BX for a demo and post some thoughts and examples? I have a video I shot of the real thing in 2018, which I don't think the fustercluck that was Keyboard/EM wound up using. Let me dig that up ...

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Would someone post a link to the plugin, or point to the reply I"ve missed. Thx.

So far there's only the Youtube I started this thread with. There's some chatter on KVR and according to something I read they'll be announcing it July 7.

(Edit That's twice today on this very thread that someone's beaten me to the punch by a minute or so. :mad:)

One of JMJ's faves.

dB

Oh Paoloooo....

That said, this plugin sounds fantastic... I've played the real one at Tom's studio and perhaps it will not be 100% of course due to the tubes, but I love what I'm hearing on this demo. Plugins really have gone a long way since the late '90s when one could immediately tell a soft synth from a real one. Today I don't think many people would be able to tell the difference :confused:

Wow I"m also local from around the same area (Alexandria Virginia) but I"ve never had experience with synths like that.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Wow I"m also local from around the same area (Alexandria Virginia) but I"ve never had experience with synths like that.

Maybe when we get past this COVID virus we can entice Tom to bring the Knifonium down here. I met him years ago at Paolo"s when he brought his Waldorf Wave. Super nice guy so when the time"s right...