Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Prince - While my guitar gently weeps

Tom Petty"s guitar: gently weeps

Jeff Lynne"s guitar: gently weeps

Dhani Harrison"s guitar: gently weeps

Prince"s guitar: cries like a tragic mythological figure from atop mount Olympus, raining tears across the whole world

(copied from the YT comments, so good)

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aren't you going to cover that ?

Shouldn't be too hard.

I think you might need a good VST for the guitar solos

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

can't believe this was over 15 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. What the YouTube comments didn't mention was how fn great Marc Mann (Jeff Lynne's guitarist) was. The producer of the show asked Prince to play both solo's since he was there to be inducted into the RNR Hall the same night. Prince decided to let Marc have the first solo. He (Prince) was such a genius he let everyone have their moment while he stood off to the side and then came in at the outro and burned the house down. Sometime between the rehersal and the taping he secretly arranged to have someone overhead to catch his guitar, not even the producer knew this was going to happen. Brilliant.
:nopity:

can't believe this was over 15 years ago, I remember it like it was yesterday. What the YouTube comments didn't mention was how fn great Marc Mann (Jeff Lynne's guitarist) was. The producer of the show asked Prince to play both solo's since he was there to be inducted into the RNR Hall the same night. Prince decided to let Marc have the first solo. He (Prince) was such a genius he let everyone have their moment while he stood off to the side and then came in at the outro and burned the house down. Sometime between the rehersal and the taping he secretly arranged to have someone overhead to catch his guitar, not even the producer knew this was going to happen. Brilliant.

Then there's that unknown beige looking dude on organ - who's he?

And did he almost fall backwards off the stage before someone caught him?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

"How can I end my solo after I slay everyone else onstage? I know, I'll just throw my guitar into the air and have it vanish, because that's what you do when you're a literal motherf---in' wizard like me."

My thoughts exactly.

Derivatives and drama, played too fast and in others" space doesn"t slay in that crowd.

Here for the gear.

I can't tell from the comments...are we saying this was "good" playing, or over-the-top playing?

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

ha ha! Well...

It's funny, I have lots of friends who don't play any musical instruments and more than once I have heard them refer to this clip. (They often say how great the performance was) I put that down to the fact they just saw his exaggerated facial stuff and the gyrations.

Other friends I have (who do play music) will say it was a good performance. I put that down to the face they might not have known he played guitar...?

Me? gee...it's a pretty forgettable performance. I mean, the other guitarist who starts the soloing at the beginning of the song sounds way more tasteful and appropriate. And Prince's gyrations and technical skills are comedic compared to Eric Clapton's original Beatles recording. As a guitarist, It's very hard to play anything wrong using that Am - Am/G - Am/F# - Fmaj7 progression. It's about as "safe" a chord progression to solo over is possible!

But Prince manages to make it clumsy, whereas a tasteful guitarist (like Clapton) manages to make it memorable and even interesting. I still find Clapton's solo interesting to listen to after all these years.

Anyhow - I saw the topic title and was wondering which camp this topic was going to be in! It's not my style to knock another player regularly (Prince can play the guitar better than I can :) ) but this clip often comes up when talking to people about Prince. They say, "Oh have you seen him play that live George Harrison Tribute concert...?" and I groan...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

These days I find it difficult to be impressed by guitar playing. It tends to fall into tired old pentatonics more often than not. There are some interesting guys and girls around doing creative things with guitar, but the proportion is smaller than I would wish.

Prince is off-the-charts amazing, don't get me wrong, but he offered so, so much more than being "just a geetar player".

Cheers, Mike.