Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nylon Strings have been breaking in the case.

CEB

It"s happened twice on my Córdoba and once on my Matano. Different strings, different spots. Only things I can think of is 1) I somewhat recently switched to D"Addario high tension strings. I used Augustines for a longtime. 2) Maybe because it"s hot. I don"t really run the AC much at all. Ceiling fans are mostly all I need. Not sure.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you switched the brand of strings, did you buy a pack with several sets in it?

Long ago I bought a 10 (or 12) pack of Ernie Ball regular Slinkies and at one gig ALL the high E (1st string) strings broke at the ball end.

I thought it might be a problem with the guitar (Tele) but when I looked at them after the gig, all the ball ends came unraveled - factory defect.

EB sent me free replacement strings that didn't break but it blew my mind, never saw anything like it before.

The folks at D'Addario are super nice, support has been very good and very fast. Highly recommend you contact them and let them know what's happening. Maybe others have reported simiilar problems.

Worst case, you provide them with an opportunity to make good on it. https://www.daddario.com/contact-us/

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just wanted to add that I have 2 nylon string guitars, a full scale Yamaha and a requinto of unknown origin.

I use D'Addario Pro Arte Extra High Tension strings on both of them. The requinto is tuned up, usually a step and a half. It is shorter scale so that works well.

I don't change my nylon strings often, I circulate the guitars in and out of use so they don't get a lot of playtime either. I've been known to use a pick but rarely, mostly it is fingers.

I've never had one break. When the windings are worn or the strings just seem tired I change them. That takes 2-3 years to be honest.

Not sure if any of that helps but there you go...

I only have this happen with members of the charango family, which have unusually high tension. I am switching to fishing line or fishing leader soon, for some of them.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

CEB, I have never experienced the problem of strings breaking in the case. I live in a hot summer climate which can cause the necks to tighten the strings a little. You may want to leave yours detuned a little when storing for the long hot summers. I use D'Addario Pro Arte Hard Tension EJ46LP lightly polished silver plated clear nylon (LP composites). The polished wound strings reduce the squeak substantially and are good for recording and playing plugged in. I have two Taylor nylon string guitars that mostly stay in their cases. I do control the humidity in the room and storage closet. I double hitch the plain strings and single hitch the wound strings and do not use ball ends on my nylons. I have had new strings on my steel string guitars break at the ball ends on the 6th strings, due to a bad batch of polished Pyramid strings and I do not order them anymore. Good luck and I hope you find the problem that is causing the strings to break. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Classical guitars do this from time to time. Usually the D string. But it"s happening way too often. All the strings came from the shop. There are only a couple of classical players in town. The strings probably come from the same lot. Thanks. I"ll back the tension off when cased.

My cases have the built in humidity but I don"t use them. I probably should but Illinois feels humid enough.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I forgot to ask, are the strings consistently breaking in the same place?

If so, where?

In the middle, sort of over the sound hole, so not at any point of contact.

Quite the mystery, between your situation and CEB's.

We've all had "mystery breaks" but a run of them is pretty unusual for the most part. That said, it happened to me in a post above.

I saw a bassist break 2 different strings onstage once, still no idea how that happened...

Both Scott and CEB have identified a common factor (i.e. the D string). I have a feeling the string is just wearing out after being played for awhile and put in the case. When it feels like it can't take no more stretch, it gives up the ghost and breaks. My theory is just that, a theory, so perhaps someone will come up with a better one. But here it is:

The D string in most nylon string packs is usually a 29 or 30 diameter. It will usually be the same diameter on the 1st string E. Since the D string nylon core is wrapped in silver or gold to get to 29 or 30 gauge, that means it has a smaller and lighter core than any of the other strings to include the plain 1st string which is usually in the same 29 or 30 gauge. I know when its time to change my wound strings by the wear marks the frets make in the metal windings that expose the cores. As each of them get longer as the strings stretch in, you can tell not only how much your strings are stretching but also when they are wearing thin as they stretch. My plain strings seem to last a lot longer than the wound ones. I noticed juststrings.com is starting to sell half sets so you don't need to replace the plain strings as often. Anyway I think the D strings just wear out 1st as they are the weakest smallest core diameters and they just go pop goes the weasel after a while. I have never experienced this problem so it's just my wild ass guess LOL! :crazy:

Take care, Larryz