Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB Drives

Anyone have any advice on best USB drives for our keyboards? I play an arranger keyboard and do tons of edits that all need to be saved on a USB. Maybe its my imagination but when I do backups from my main USB to my computer and other USBs some information changes. I've just read where SLC type drives are the best but are very expensive. Some say use the cheapos, you won't know the differance. I want to replace my exsisting drives so I'm looking for some shopping advise.

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any advice on best USB drives for our keyboards? I play an arranger keyboard and do tons of edits that all need to be saved on a USB. Maybe its my imagination but when I do backups from my main USB to my computer and other USBs some information changes. I've just read where SLC type drives are the best but are very expensive. Some say use the cheapos, you won't know the differance. I want to replace my exsisting drives so I'm looking for some shopping advise.

Thanks

Hi. It"s important for you to share which arranger you are using. The manufacturers tend to inform the user in the manual if there are any issues or certain recommended criteria for the USB storage device.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Only use USB for small mobile data nothing over 64 gig combined

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Thanks

The USB drive will only ever be as good as the port (and drivers controlling it) is.. No matter what the specs of the device. All of the arranger boards, at best, are USB2 which is okay for storing speeds but not very good at streaming.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I would only buy and use a good quality branded USB drive of no more than 64Gb in capacity. It has always been the unbranded ones which have failed on me.

It is how you use them that matters.

This is my process.

I Format the USB drive in the keyboard.

Never simply plug in or pull out whilst data is being written (it is safest to only insert or remove a USB drive when the keyboard is switched off)

Never pull out a USB drive from a PC or Mac, always use the Eject function.

Whenever you have written something to a USB drive in your keyboard, backup the drive to a PC or Mac as soon as practical.

Create at least one backup USB drive which is a clone of the one in your keyboard, having two is better but keep them both stored in separate locations.

Do remember to create a Backup of your keyboards operating system and to also create a file of all your user data or as Korg calls it a Save All file.

I have lost track of the number of times that I have read ..... I have updated my Operating System and cannot find my user files.

Col

Doing live gigs with my laptop rig, for almost a year I used a USB3 thumb drive to stream samples. I thought it would be cool to save some setup time, since before then I was cabling an external SSD for my samples; plugging in a thumb drive is certainly more convenient. It worked great for year then unmounted itself in the middle of a show. I went back to my SSD. I think what you're talking about is storage & backup so not the same use case as me. I would stick with a known brand that had good reviews and probably get two and back up to both of them; they're cheap enough, and it's not like you won't have room to carry a backup! Other than that I don't think I would sweat things too much.