Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Using Waves StudioRack?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it but have not used it yet. I only have 3 Waves plugins. haven't used them yet either.

H-Comp Hybrid compressor

NLS Non-Linear Summer

IR 1 Reverb

I have IK TRackS too, mostly use the plugins seperately and haven't tried them all yet. I like CSR Hall and the IK Leslie but not sure I would use them both on the same sound.

In their own ways, IK Amplitube and NI GuitarRig are FX Chain compilers too.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was getting the emails about it but didn't look into it so I don't understand the concept or need for it. It appeared interesting but my bandwidth is limited; I'm still working full time and my time for music is limited to continuing to work on backing tracks for my duo where we did another gig last Friday night and I tried out some further adjustments I'd made to our setup. In addition to that we have a big annual party we're prepping for on the 3rd of July and then going on vacation soon after that.

If you don't have Waves plugins then it won't do anything for you.

If you do, and you use certain combinations of the plugins, you can save those as presets and it could save a great deal of time.

I already have a similar function in Waveform but it works with all plugins. So I will probably toss the Waves Studio Rack eventually, I keep clearing out plugins lately.

And yes, adding some.

If you don't have Waves plugins then it won't do anything for you.

If you do, and you use certain combinations of the plugins, you can save those as presets and it could save a great deal of time.

I have a few waves plug-ins and a couple instruments but for my live project I'm only using the Tune Real-Time. If ever there comes a time when I can return to my backlog of original stuff it might be well worth looking into.

StudioRack makes the most sense for people who have a Waves bundle. It's conceptually like FX Chains in that you can combine a bunch of effects together, but more crucially, it offers programmable macro controls that can control multiple parameters at once, over particular ranges (e.g., a control's full rotation could cover a restricted range of parameter values). This makes tweaking much easier. For example, suppose you want to add some punch to drums. A single control could increase saturation, add drive in a console emulator, and lower a limiter's threshold while increasing the output level to compensate.

Furthermore, like the FX Chains in Studio One, StudioRack can split signals for parallel processing based on frequency. This makes an FX Chain ideal for multiband processing.

For example, here's a Studio One FX Chain that creates a "virtual ocean" sound effect. Obviously, I'm not using processors with "Wave Size" and "Crest" parameters. These knobs control parameters in the chain's 9 processors to create these effects.

2XqRwgy.png

I've created a bunch of useful FX Chains that I use all the time. But you can also do fun things...I don't have a harmonic tremolo in any of my programs, so I made one out of an FX Chain.

I've got about 20 of the Waves plugins - use them all the time.

I've been getting emails and promos about it, but it didn't really catch my interest - Reaper allows for roll-your-own fx chains, so it seemed a bit redundant.

But now I'm intruiged. I can't help but wonder if the StudioRack code isn't what Waves used to create all those Signature Series plugins that often have rather oddball parameter controls with names like "Punch" or "Attitude" - obviously those types of controls are, under the hood, controlling multiple "normal" parameters like EQ, compression, saturation, distortion, and so on.

I'll download the StudioRack and have it around to tinker with when I'm a bit less busy...

nat

This is cool, it has me interested in looking at Studio Rack even though I only have 3 plugins.

Topic is 3 mix tricks you can do in Studio Racks without plugins. At least 2 of the tricks are very useful, the 3rd one depends on your DAW. I didn't see a Mono button on Waveform so it would be useful for me.

https://www.waves.com/3-tricks-mixing-with-studiorack-without-plugins?utm_source=wnletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekend-content-crusty-bus-studiorack-chain-july-11-2020