Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super light 2-board rigs

A 2-manual clone is a nice way to get a 2-keybed rig with well-placed keybeds and that will fit on a single-board stand. But they tend to be kind of heavy themselves. .
That's exactly why I sold my SK2. The board was 35 lbs. and by the time I put it in its 25 lb. hard case with accessories, the load was 65 lbs. I threw my old back out hauling it up to a second floor gig. I got rid of it for that reason. Despite the fact that I really liked the SK2, it simply was not practical as a gigging solution for me.

I had the opposite experience with the SK2. For me, it replaced a piano slab and a clonewheel, each of which weighed more than the SK2. And I lug the SK2 in its Hammond softcase with backpack straps, so I entered the realm of hands-free!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Yamaha MX49, it"s very light, maybe the MX61 is a bit high priced, but it"s light. I also have a Minilogue for analog stuff.

My lightest solution would be a Yamaha MX49 and an old Yamaha PSS or CasioTone of some sort on the top. Maybe a PSS-480 or PSS-470 or Casio MT-65/68 or HT-700.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Has anyone tried one of these - https://www.midi-store.com/Kenton-MIDI-USB-Host-MkII-p/sku44975.htm . These are supposed to work with any of the Yamaha P series or new Casio's that do not have a 5-pin MIDI jack.

Yes - I use one of those between my Yamaha P.105 and my YC61.

Allows me to use the YC61 AP and EPs from the P105 keyboard, whilst still using the organ from the YC61 at the same time.

(There is a cheaper version of this type of device from Miditech -- https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Miditech-USB-MIDI-HOST/art-SYN0006178-000?campaign=PSM_UK/billiger&ProgramUUID=glvAqJar8tEAAAFoxv.P7Dz2 but I haven't actually tried that unit.)

All works well enough, but you do need 2 x wall warts -- one for the P105 and one for the MIDI host converter - so the connection set up is a bit messy.

I still don't understand why Yamaha decided to not include standard MIDI connectors on most P series pianos -- can't be cost, surely?

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

I still don't understand why Yamaha decided to not include standard MIDI connectors on most P series pianos -- can't be cost, surely?
It's cost. At this budget price point, a few cents saving makes a difference.

Cheers, Mike.

I have the Midiplus which looks like is the same unit as the Miditech and 10 bucks cheaper. Mine works . At least with roland, alesis and korg things I've tried. And nektar, samson. The cool thing is the DIN and usb inputs work simultaneously so 2 inputs and 1 output merged.

FunMachine.

It's cost. At this budget price point, a few cents saving makes a difference.

Cheers, Mike.

Crazy thing is the earlier and cheaper P35 did have standard MIDI connectors! (Although no USB )

Using it to control the YC61 AP and EP voices, it might be worth looking for an older P series? (Same GHS keybed, and you're not bothered about the internal piano voices)

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

I lug the SK2 in its Hammond softcase with backpack straps, so I entered the realm of hands-free!

Cool, I didn't know the case had backstraps. I could see that making a big difference... I just checked and was surprised to see that not mentioned on Hammond's site (or Sweetwater's). I wonder if any other dual manual organ carry case has these straps (or whether there are any other dual manual options that would fit into the Hammond's). I could actually see the ability to backpack it being a factor in choosing one of these organs over another.

I'd even say that, being backpackable, the SKX would qualify as one of the most portable 2-board rigs. While 37.25 lbs makes it nowhere near as "super light" as what we've generally been talking about here, it is another approach to the underlying goal of easiest-to-carry rigs. An SKX on your back, an EV ZXa1 or similar in one hand, a K&M 18880 in the other, looks like a one-tripper. (You can find some way to add a small bag with pedals/cables/iPad etc.). The usual attempt at a one-tripper involves a cart, but they are often more trouble than they are worth. The loading into and out of the cart adds time, and putting everything on wheels doesn't always solve the issue, when there are stairs involved or when you need to get your gear across a lawn or beach for an outdoor gig. And the better carts tend to be pretty heavy to deal with themselves, and are something else big to find room for. Now I'm a thinking about the idea of finding a backpackable case into which I could put two keyboards with some foam protection between them... (or there must be a backpackable solution for the powered PA speaker...?)

The SKX would also be faster to setup and wire up than two boards would be. Fewer power cords, audio cables, pedals, and cases to deal with. And I really like having my upper and lower tier keys so close to each other. The MIDI zoning of the SKX and the improvements made to the way you can use its number pad for patch selection would help facilitate integrating additional sounds from an iPad if need be. Trade-offs include having only 61-keys for your "piano" board, no pitch/mod controls, losing the flexibility of quick independent patch selection for each "board," and having instant backup for disaster. But I can see this being an attractive option, especially if your work is organ-heavy to begin with.

I have the Midiplus...The cool thing is the DIN and usb inputs work simultaneously so 2 inputs and 1 output merged.

Nice tip!

Crazy thing is the earlier and cheaper P35 did have standard MIDI connectors! (Although no USB )

Using it to control the YC61 AP and EP voices, it might be worth looking for an older P series? (Same GHS keybed, and you're not bothered about the internal piano voices)

Yeah, it is unfortunate for many of us that USB has replaced standard MIDI on many of the low-cost boards. But there are still some options if you don't want to look for the older Yamahas/Casios. Today, if you want a lightweight low-cost hammer action board with standard MIDI to drive the piano sounds from your other board, there's the Kawai ES110 and the Kurzweil SP1. (Or if you don't need its sounds at all, there are some soundless controller options.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Scott,

Just checked SW's site, they have the SKX on sale until July 7 for $600 off! So $2400 instead of $3000.

Yes, the ES110 has MIDI in and out din sockets, but it also has no USB, which is no bigee, there are translator cables for that. It's #1 shortcoming, esp given what an excellent controller it would make, is that it has no aux in for iPad/laptop use. Major fail for Kawai!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

ShadowMan,

Can you elaborate on what you mean "now configured for VOX drawbar control"? I looked everywhere and could not find this information.

Please advise. Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

Yes, the ES110 has MIDI in and out din sockets, but it also has no USB, which is no bigee, there are translator cables for that. It's #1 shortcoming, esp given what an excellent controller it would make, is that it has no aux in for iPad/laptop use. Major fail for Kawai!

The aux in would be nice if you're using its internal speakers, or to possibly obviate the need for a mixer if using external amplification. It is a nice thing to have, though I wouldn't consider its absence a major fail. I don't think any of the competitive Yamahas have it either.

Can you elaborate on what you mean "now configured for VOX drawbar control"? I looked everywhere and could not find this information.

I assumed he did it himself. B3X is designed to let you easily adapt any board that sends MIDI CCs to control it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Another Scott is right, Mike. I mapped the B3X to the midi messages coming from the VOX midi drawbars - and it has become a gamechanger. While I love the VOX, the CX3 sounds are a bit less than inspiring. But the Hammond Ipad app just rocks!!!

When the gigs start up again I"m really looking forward to trying this out. And maybe not have to drag out a second organ-centric board in smaller venue.

The aux in would be nice if you're using its internal speakers, or to possibly obviate the need for a mixer if using external amplification. It is a nice thing to have, though I wouldn't consider its absence a major fail. I don't think any of the competitive Yamahas have it either.

True, the P125/121/P45 do not have it. The P125 has something even better, USB host to audio and MIDI. That is a killer feature, and an aux in, while a poor cousin in comparison, is a miniscule addition. What a wasted and easy opportunity for Kawai to get more of the controller market.

I did a little survey to impress upon Kawai James the importance of this feature, and found there are 5 weighted boards under $700 that do have it:

- Korg B2N

- Kurzweil SP1 88

- Casio PXS1000 / CDP-S100/350

The point is, esp in this thread, to minimize weight and hassle. The ES110 has an exemplary keybed, and using it with an iPad/laptop/keyboard is a hassle unfortunately. So yeah, in my book it was a major fail! (can you tell I'm a little bonkers in love with this keyboard?)

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Another Scott is right, Mike. I mapped the B3X to the midi messages coming from the VOX midi drawbars - and it has become a gamechanger. While I love the VOX, the CX3 sounds are a bit less than inspiring. But the Hammond Ipad app just rocks!!!

I think the Vox might be a particularly good controller choice for B3X. Besides being a lightweight 9 "drawbar" controller with a great feeling action and other good sounds of its own. I *think* this should work...

When you select a Scene (which can include an organ registration on the Vox itself), it should also send out a MIDI Program Change. B3X lets you select saved user presets with MIDI Program Change. So let's say you set up scenes 1-4 on the Vox with your four favorite Hammond registrations, but with the organ volume set to zero; and then also set up those same four favorite Hammond registrations as the first four recallable presets on B3X (or otherwise loading them into the Program locations that correspond to the Program Changes sent out with Scenes 1-4 on the Vox... but it will presumably be programs 0-3 or 1-4 on both, depending on numbering conventions). Then when you select one of these four scenes, you should immediately hear a B3X sound that visually corresponds to the Vox' LED "drawbar" positions, AND manipulating the drawstrips in real-time should immediately alter your B3X sound perfectly, with no jumps or other oddities from the board's drawbars being out of sync with those of B3X. (And if you need more than 4, the Vox gives you up to 64 storable scenes.)

Besides the Vox, the only other boards that I think could probably do similar tricks would be the Nords that have LED "drawbuttons" (though they have their limitations), the Dexibels that have motorized drawbars (probably the best solution, albeit a pricey one), and to a lesser extent, Yamaha YC61 which could have the LED indicators where you want them, but there will still be a jump when you physically move a drawbar. (ETA: Kurzweil Forte would probably be similar.)

True, the P125/121/P45 do not have it. The P125 has something even better, USB host to audio and MIDI. That is a killer feature

Ah, but they don't have MIDI jacks. To me, that's a worse omission than lack of audio in! It depends on your needs.

I did a little survey to impress upon Kawai James the importance of this feature, and found there are 5 weighted boards under $700 that do have it:

- Korg B2N

- Kurzweil SP1 88

- Casio PXS1000 / CDP-S100/350

B2N is not a weighted board (not a hammer action). Maybe the B2 can do it? Though even then, the B2/B2N also lack a line out separate from the headphone out, and the MIDI jacks. Significant trade-offs.

SP1 doesn't have speakers (which not only makes it less comparable, but also eliminates one of the two reasons you'd want the audio in in the first place).

The Casios all lack MIDI ports, and the CDP-S100/350 also lack a line out separate from the headphone out.

For a hammer action board with audio in (whether via line or USB), and speakers, and a proper audio out, and MIDI jacks, under $700, there's the Kurzweil KA90. If you stretch the budget (but still under $1k), there's the Casio PX350 ($900), and Korg SP280 ($800, but about 40 lbs). As to which if any of these sound or feel as nice as the ES110, that's a whole other conversation. ;-)

Great input, AnotherScott - thanks! I actually hadn"t thought about the mapping w/volume settings, but was just real time controlling the Ipad and potting down the Vox audio on my mixer. Gotta go try this.

I'm eager to hear how it goes!

An extension of this idea is to program 000000000 drawbars on any Scene where you do not want to hear organ from B3X. Now you can leave the B3X and Vox volume up all the time and seamlessly switch between the B3X organ programs and the Vox pianos/EPs/etc. and each will be silent when you want to hear only the other.

Over at the "The ultimate single-board gig rig: 2 contrasting manuals" thread, psionic11 posted:

My preferred portable yet do-it-all solution is this:

Kronos 61 (31 lbs)

Privia PX-5S (24 lbs)

Moving back to the topic of THIS thread, though, I mentioned that I prefer the MODX7 which knocks off 15 lbs and gives me 76 keys up top (despite the loss of some Kronos advantages). But it also got me thinking, the premise of this thread has basically been "how light can you go" and so we've talked a lot about using an "acceptable" non-hammer action for piano (where in hindsight I'm surprised the Dexibell S1 didn't get mentioned as a light and shallow bottom, though at almost 19 lbs, it isn't quite among the lightest), but for those who don't want to make that particular compromise, we can also consider, what are the lightest quality rigs that still include a hammer action on bottom?

Sticking with the 24 lb PX5S as a bottom, the same tops I mentioned in the OP are all still good lightweight choices... Yamaha MX49 or Korg Kross 61 for lightest weight, AX-Edge which is almost as light (still under 10 lbs) and adds aftertouch and keytar use, and if you want something more suitable for LH bass, the Juno DS61 still at 12 lbs, or if you want 76 keys once you go the LH bass, the DS76 and MODX7 at 15-ish to 16-ish lbs.

But also, since the PX5S does not have the drawbar organ functionality that most of my non-hammer bottom possibilities had, there's some more reason to also consider the 12-lb Roland VR-09 (in fact, PX5S+VR09 has often been mentioned here as a popular combination). You could also consider one of the boards from the former lightweight bottom list itself, i.e. Numa Compact 2X which gives you aftertouch and organ and pretty good LH bass function (though not pannable), though as mentioned earlier about the Numa, quick patch selection can become an issue, something I tend to make use of even more on a top board than on a bottom, so again, I might look into a smartphone addition for that if I wanted to go that way. (The PX5S could also send patch changes to the Numa above it, but I prefer to keep my patch selection facilities independent for each board, for the most part.)

Also in the same weight range as the MODX7 and NC2X is the Casio MZ-X500... only 61 keys, but good LH bass facilities (including being pannable) and it also gives you clonewheel organ. The rotary sim/overdrive is weak, but with pannable sounds, you could put a Vent/LesterK/whatever on that if need be... one clonewheel advantage it has over the VR09 and Nume Compact 2X is that those two lack pannable sounds, meaning you can't put a rotary pedal on their organ without also putting it on any sound you may be splitting/layering with the organ (and even if not splitting/layering, you'd have to remember to keep switching the rotary pedal in and out when switching between organ and non-organ patches).

Getting back to Al Quinn's comment earlier, you could even shave a few pounds of the bottom by going with a Yamaha P121, though its limited sound palette and lack of 5-pin MIDI would prompt me to go the extra 3 lbs for the Casio (besides my having a preference for Casio's action). Though as Adan said, the P121 could also be a controller for an iOS device, which can diminish the severity of the sound palette and 5-pin MIDI issues.

But also, since the PX5S does not have the drawbar organ functionality that most of my non-hammer bottom possibilities had, there's some more reason to also consider the 12-lb Roland VR-09

Combined with an organ engine, the PX-5S can be set up to have its 8 sliders send midi CC (properly increasing as you pull.) I used to run an XK-3C above and the Casio worked great as a lower manual with drawbar control.

Moe

---

At just 16 lbs, that Studiologic Numa Compact 2X looks to be a pretty amazing all-in-one solution.

I wonder how decent the 88 key semi-weight action is. I tried a Kronos LS88 in a store and was surprised that its action wasn't half bad.

And with the rate iOS apps are improving, hook your iPad up to a Numa Compact and you're good to go.

I'd HOPE that the Numa Compact's drawbars send MIDI...That would be great to control B3-X!!!

This setup could make me consider relegating the Nord 5D to other duties...though the Electro is STILL a workhorse.

I'm considering it to control B3-X for those times when I need the extra level of grind; for most situations, the Nord is still much more than adequate.

But having a second compact board available solves so many immediate problems...

And if I'm spending money I'd rather have something with sounds as an automatic "back up" if things go awry...

So I'm strongly considering the Numa...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I'd HOPE that the Numa Compact's drawbars send MIDI...That would be great to control B3-X!!!

They do.

Combined with an organ engine, the PX-5S can be set up to have its 8 sliders send midi CC (properly increasing as you pull.)

6 sliders, but yes, and also 4 knobs. So that becomes a potential way to control an organ sound even if you pick a top board without drawbars, i.e. if you get your organ sound from an iPad or whatever. It gets a little more complicated if you want to manipulate the drawbars from the PX5S but play the organ sound from your non-hammer action above. (Admittedly, this is a different application that what you posted about where you were using the PX5S as a lower manual.)

They do.

Just got a couple of presets done on my Numa C2X with the drawbars set to control B3-X...danged cool! Upper and lower drawbars have different CC numbers and each can be controlled by switching between the upper / lower buttons on the C2X. The lowest octave also defaults to change drawbar presets. Yep, a pretty good controller.

Hi Mr Brenner how are you. Ive been following your different posting on the CX2 with much interest being you just received one.

I will say i dont mind if you continue posting your findings or thoughts on the different threads you are on.

Although i don't have any actual questions as ive read the main CX2 thread (a few times) i find your little tidbits on ownership very interesting as im considering one once restrictions stop here so I can check one out in person.

Thanks for the new owner insights.

Thanks AUSSIEKEYS. Likewise, I find your perspective and quest for quality music and gear quite informative.

This is great place with some really smart contributors. It ain"t hard for me to do, but I like to be around people smarter and more talented than I am. More opportunity to learn that way.