Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Loading custom tonewheels into Hammond XK-3

I know this is a 'blast from the past' type of questionâ¦â¦â¦..please bear with an old guy who"s FINALLY getting around to loading Jim Alfredson"s custom tonewheels into his Hammond XK-3.

I"m slightly confused by the Hammond Owner"s Manual information regarding the tonewheels. Basic question is this â do I have to 'overwrite' one of the three sets of tonewheels that are currently 'in' the XK-3 by default, in order to load the custom set?

The ones I see are:

B-Type

Mellow

Brite

When I update the individual tonewheel entries with the 96 values in Jim"s document, will I be creating a new (4th?) set of tonewheels upon saving, or will I have to write over one of the three above? This is a lot of manual data entry, so I don"t want to screw this up when I complete the process and hit "save"!

Thanks,

Lou

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to overwrite, you can create a new tonewheel set. I've done it with my XK3. And yes the manual can be confusing.

Best approach is to find an existing tonewheel set that is close to the Alfredson set, make a copy, and edit that. Don't make all the changes at once. Start with a few edits, then verify you can load the new changes. Then edit the rest.

Do you have Type I compact flash card. I backed settings up on a SansDisk card. Then I took the tonewheel set Jim sent me and saved it to a card. Then loaded to the organ. I don"t remember if I wrote Over anything. I couldn"t stand to pull straight 8s on the stock settings. The organ was too bright. It sounded like a bad recapped generator.

You should have a usb card reader and one or two TYPE I compact flash cards. The old type one cards might be pricey if you can find them on Amazon. I"d get SanDisk brand. The manual lied, you don"t need the Hammond card. Regardless of whether you manually edit the tone wheels or load them you should have a backup of your settings on a card in case you lose your settings.

PS remember to take the cover off the card slot on the back of the organ before you try to plug in the card. That has been in issue in the past with guys.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yup I've been using the SansDisk ones with no problem. Larger capacities will work fine, the XK3 just won't use all of it.

Unfortunately you need those flash cards to archive custom tonewheels. A MIDI sysex dump does not archive custom tonewheels. I can see the value where you carry the custom tonewheels on a flash card then dump it to a rented XK3 as backline. But omitting it from sysex... c'mon!!!

The type I flash cards have been obsolete for a long time. The rule of musical instruments is that the external storage medium they use is a generation behind computers of the same era. In other words, the storage medium is more vulnerable to becoming obsolete. When I buy such an instrument, I immediately grab some of the storage cards before they're gone. That's also a risk with buying used gear. I wanted a type I static RAM card for my Alesis DMPro but there are none available.

Thanks for the tips! I believe I have a CF card somewhere, will begin the search shortly! Is having a CF card installed the *only way* to save the custom tonewheel set? Or can I overwrite one of the built-in sets without requiring a flash card?

Thanks,

Lou

If you can't find a small one, I still have two cards: a Nikon 4 MB card (came with first digital camera I bought in the late 1990's, I put a larger card in it.

Second is a Mirage MCF-032P, and I don't remember what I used it in or it's capacity (Google search didn't help). You are welcome to either or both, for a small contribution to cover shipping. PM me if either is helpful.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim