MP Hall of Fame Member
I like this

Kawai ES110 | Mojo 61 | Casio CT-X700 | 1966 Mason & Hamlin piano
Re: Jazz - Peter Martin full trio transcription of Autumn Leaves
16251 #3051465 06/28/20 04:31 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by 16251

REALLY Nice ! That's one comprehensive transcription wow !

I like when he uses the Dominant 7 altered on the A half-diminished, an old Herbie approach. Great lines ! A lot of melody going on in there. Cool to see the comping rhythmically for the bass solo. Gives students and Pros a look at that aspect too.

Very contemporary sounding yet still a nod and connection to the roots of the Music. Seeing what he's doing in the walk down coming out of the bridge, gives me a different outlook on that section

I kept waiting for him to do the infamous East coast subs of Bm7 E7 | Bbm7 Eb7| in bars 3 & 4 of the A sections. He somewhat hinted at it in one place of the solo and again on the head out.

Beautiful player, beautiful Trio. thu cool

Dave Ferris #3051620 06/29/20 03:20 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I kept waiting for him to do the infamous East coast subs of Bm7 E7 | Bbm7 Eb7| in bars 3 & 4 of the A sections. He somewhat hinted at it in one place of the solo and again on the head out.

I'm glad that wasn't a feature. To me, nothing screams "second semester jazz major" like overusing that device. And by "overusing," I mean "using more than about once."

I hadn't really checked out Peter before I started working with Open Studio last year, but I've definitely come to like him as both a player and an instructor. (And he seemed like a nice guy the one time we hung out.) Their stuff has surprised me by inspiring me to practice more, and giving me new approaches to practice that I wouldn't have come up with on my own. Peter's also been doing weekly solo piano livestream shows on Fridays, and they've been consistently top-notch.

(BTW, I wasn't the transcriber for this one, so it's new to me too.)

16251 #3051630 06/29/20 03:57 PM
R
R
Cool to watch. Especially the drum part. Wonder how it was done. Is it free to subscribe to Open Studio? Looks like some isn't maybe?

re Pete #3051639 06/29/20 04:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by re Pete
Cool to watch. Especially the drum part. Wonder how it was done. Is it free to subscribe to Open Studio? Looks like some isn't maybe?

Open Studio does a lot of content for YouTube that is free, but their online classes there is a charge either per class or annual subscription. They have a one week free trial of you just want to check out what they are doing. A lot of good instructors at Open Studio.

1 member likes this: re Pete
Josh Paxton #3051655 06/29/20 05:58 PM
R
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R
I first heard Peter on this youtube of him playing "Skylark" with Diane Reeves. A beautiful arrangement, great playing by everybody, and stellar singing. There are other youtubes of him playing with her. Every one I've experienced has been a treat to hear.

https://youtu.be/Si9MCBzrfyk

Originally Posted by Josh Paxton

I'm glad that wasn't a feature. To me, nothing screams "second semester jazz major" like overusing that device. And by "overusing," I mean "using more than about once."

Ha ha I am 100% with you on that. Try hearing it a jam session when four sax players each take 50 choruses on it. I've been there.

I thought of another example – bars 5 & 6 of "Gentle Rain" as written in almost every fake book I've seen. All with that II-V / II-V progression that gets old the second time through the changes. Only the "New Real Vol 3" book has it right, as far as I've seen.

Josh Paxton #3051663 06/29/20 06:39 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I've played it behind such LA legends as Pete Christlieb, Bill Watrous, Jack Sheldon, in addition to A list players from my generation - Doug Webb, Andy Martin, Bob McChesney, Howie Shear -- and I wouldn't exactly classify them as "second semester jazz major" level. wink

I've also sat in the audience and heard Dexter Gordon play probably a dozen choruses with his Quartet with George Cables at the old Concerts by the Sea. Also Tom Harrell behind a stellar LA rhythm section, that featured Bill Mays, at old Carmelo's in the Valley. Tom probably played half the choruses of Dexter. The first time I heard Wynton Marsalis with Art Blakey, James Williams was the pianist, they did an uptempo version and everyone played on that sequence.

All that said, I do agree with you that if you do indeed hear a beginning Jazz student who's reading out of a fakebook and plays those subs, it can sound contrived.

Personally I don't play them anymore...I think I heard it and played it too many times ! laugh

Dave Ferris #3051668 06/29/20 06:49 PM
R
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R

Well, I've played it behind such LA legends as Pete Christlieb, Bill Watrous, Jack Sheldon, in addition to A list players from my generation - Doug Webb, Andy Martin, Bob McChesney, Howie Shear -- and I wouldn't exactly classify them as "second semester jazz major" level. wink

I've also sat in the audience and heard Dexter Gordon play probably a dozen choruses with his Quartet with George Cables at the old Concerts by the Sea. Also Tom Harrell behind a stellar LA rhythm section, that featured Bill Mays, at old Carmelo's in the Valley. Tom probably played half the choruses of Dexter. The first time I heard Wynton Marsalis with Art Blakey, James Williams was the pianist, they did an uptempo version and everyone played on that sequence.

All that said, I do agree with you that if you do indeed hear a beginning Jazz student who's reading out of a fakebook and plays those subs, it can sound contrived.

Personally I don't play them anymore...I think I heard it and played it too many times ! laugh

I find that even the best players, after playing a tune the same way for years, will just fall into the habit of playing it the same way every time. I'm guilty myself. It's actually more of a muscle memory thing than anything else! Now that I'm more aware I try to just play a Bm for a whole bar then Bbm for the next bar. Even if the bass player is playing B E / Bb Eb is sounds OK... actually a little hipper imo.

Reezekeys #3051669 06/29/20 06:54 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Reezekeys
I thought of another example – bars 5 & 6 of "Gentle Rain" as written in almost every fake book I've seen. All with that II-V / II-V progression that gets old the second time through the changes. Only the "New Real Vol 3" book has it right, as far as I've seen.

Bars 3 & 4, most everyone plays the Real Book Bm7b5 | E7 when it's really an Ab dim. for the two bars.

Yeah the RB on bars 5 & 6 has Am7 D7 | Gm7 C7 |. I've never played that. Always Gm7 | C7|.

I do use the descending Am Ab7b5 | Gm7 C7 on the second ending.

Reezekeys #3051672 06/29/20 07:06 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Reezekeys
I find that even the best players, after playing a tune the same way for years, will just fall into the habit of playing it the same way every time. I'm guilty myself. It's actually more of a muscle memory thing than anything else! Now that I'm more aware I try to just play a Bm for a whole bar then Bbm for the next bar. Even if the bass player is playing B E / Bb Eb is sounds OK... actually a little hipper imo.

Now this is funny -- I played it behind Jack Sheldon subbing at Jax in Glendale and he wanted to play it with those changes every time. A couple years went by and I got a call to sub again. He called AL and it was ingrained in the memory banks that he used those changes. Well on the first chorus I went there. But he didn't, he played it straight. He turned around and gave me a look like ..wtf are you doing ?! I looked over at Bruce Lett, the bassist, and he shook his head, no. At the end of the tune he leaned over and said...he doesn't play that there anymore, he got tired of it. idk

Well alrighty then...so much for memory banks and anticipation. laugh

1 member likes this: Josh Paxton
Docbop #3051679 06/29/20 07:30 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Online Content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted by Docbop
Originally Posted by re Pete

Open Studio does a lot of content for YouTube that is free, but their online classes there is a charge either per class or annual subscription. They have a one week free trial of you just want to check out what they are doing. A lot of good instructors at Open Studio.

I think one of the things that got it all started for Peter was the Two Minute Jazz videos. There are a ton of those on YT.

You can buy individual courses as well as Packs each with lifetime access, or you can subscribe. There are several subscription levels. One is the Piano Access Pass which currently has a one week free trial, and they're not even asking for CC info. Of course, you do need to give them an email address so you can sign in and use it. The top-of-the-line is the All Access Pass which gives you access to every course. Even when you don't play the instrument, there are things you can pick up, and who wouldn't go to a course by Christian McBride, Dianne Reeves, Romero Lubambo, etc.? I've been a a buyer for a while, and became a member a year or so ago. When you think of the math of how much lessons from a teacher might cost you every month, this makes sense. At least it does for me. The subscriptions give you access to everything (piano-related or all, depending on which one you get) including new stuff that comes out while you are a subscriber. They have new things in the pipe right now.

Also, Peter and Adam do a podcast called You'll Hear It. It's free and pretty funny and entertaining. I've been subscribed to that since it started. I even make my wife listen to it when we're traveling by car. grin Truth is, she seems to like it even though the technical stuff is over her head.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
2 members like this: re Pete, Docbop
16251 #3051683 06/29/20 07:43 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
My favorite quartet version, 300 bpm tempo. Johnny Griffin sax, Ronnie Mathews piano, Kenny Washington drums, Ray Drummond bass

|| C-7 | F7 | B-7 E7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | every chorus for solos, plays classic kicks of on head A section.

Kawai ES110 | Mojo 61 | Casio CT-X700 | 1966 Mason & Hamlin piano
1 member likes this: Dave Ferris
16251 #3051690 06/29/20 07:54 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that's friggin' burning !! thu I knew there were some YT examples out there but I didn't feel like doing a search. I know somewhere in my fairly extensive record collection I could dig up something too.

Ronnie Matthews- unsung, under rated/appreciated.

His playing on Dexter's "Homecoming, Live at the Village Vanguard" " record with Woody Shaw was one I wore the grooves off ! The great pianist and friend Keith Saunders, now in the Bay Area for the last 10 years or so, said when he heard Ronnie on Homecoming it sealed his decision to move to NYC from LA in the '80s.

16251 #3051718 06/29/20 10:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
A couple Open Studio YouTubes coming up that ya'll might be interested in. First on Tuesdays they do a live listening sess' and just play a Jazz album from first to last track. Between each track they discuss the track and with people on the live stream. With the stay at home going on it's good to get together with others and listen and talk music.

Then today they just put up a Peter Martin and Fred Hirsch are doing a piano duo on YouTube. Below are the links for both of those free events.

https://youtu.be/9Ez4rq58hjk

Last edited by Docbop; 06/29/20 10:20 PM.
2 members like this: re Pete, Dave Ferris
16251 #3051735 06/30/20 12:10 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Will look forward to hearing that with Fred Hersch. One of my favorite players. Thanks for the heads up.

16251 #3051743 06/30/20 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
I saw Peter Martin with the Joshua Redman Quartet a bunch of years ago. That was my first exposure. Brad Meldau was in the group previously and was a tough act to follow, but Peter played his ass off. It was a great concert!

16251 #3051747 06/30/20 01:03 AM
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
One of my favorite piano solos on Autumn Leaves

1 member likes this: Dave Ferris
16251 #3051752 06/30/20 01:33 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
The Winner and still Champion ! grin Just an expression because there is no 'winner' of course, everyone has their own special voice. But people speak of "genius". This is it right here at 23 years old. How does one come to play like that at such a young age ?!

He probably set the bar at an all time high with regard to playing the hippest sounding lines imaginable in the universe on Altered Dominant 7 chords and Altered Dom. ii- V-Is. And his harmonic subs and chord voicing -- forget about it !

Think about it - the greatest players in the world have been, and are still imitating what you did at age 23 fifty six friggin' years after the fact. When we're all dead and gone, they'll still be influenced by this.

1 member likes this: Al Quinn
Al Quinn #3051754 06/30/20 01:52 AM
16251 Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Al Quinn
One of my favorite piano solos on Autumn Leaves

Miles in Europe...

Thanks. First time hearing this. What a tour de force. Gotta go and listen to that again.

AG N2 | ES 110 | REFACE CP | GK MK & MP amps
16251 #3051755 06/30/20 01:58 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Wanted to add, this Herbie transcription of AL is available in a collection of transcriptions by the venerable Bill Dobbins, who possess one of the greatest pair of ears on planet earth.

I don't know if it's still in print but the title is : "Herbie Hancock Classic Jazz Compositions and Piano Solos, transcribed by Bill Dobbins". The publisher of the copy I have is Advance Music. Again I didn't do a search to see if it's still available. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on a copy.

16251 #3051772 06/30/20 06:23 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Well if we're all throwing in our favorites, here's mine: Kenny Kirkland, because have you met me?...

Dave Ferris #3051996 07/01/20 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
[quote=16251]

I like when he uses the Dominant 7 altered on the A half-diminished, an old Herbie approach. Great lines ! A lot of melody going on in there. Cool to see the comping rhythmically for the bass solo. Gives students and Pros a look at that aspect too.
. thu cool

Dave, can you point to a part in this video where he does that? I want to investigate it further. Thanks!

"I would, but I don't want to."
16251 #3052005 07/01/20 02:52 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hi Mitch. Yeah sure. I don't know if these times in the video are exactly right on the money but they are close.

I first see it at the beginning of his second chorus at around 1:06. He lands squarely right on the octave C# in the RH while playing that G C# F# LH voicing against it.

Again at 1:34, at 1:42- it seems he's doing a little whole tone sequence there against the LH voicing of G C# F#.

and around 1:53 he uses a delay in the time where he plays the A7 alt. on beat one where the V chord would be.

I didn't check out the trading with the drums, there might be a place there too. When I get more time I will.

It's harder with a video obviously then a transcription in your hands. When I have a minute I'll also go through Herbie's solo with my Dobbins book and see if I can pick out specific bars.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 07/01/20 02:57 PM.
1 member likes this: Mitch Towne
16251 #3052006 07/01/20 02:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks, Dave!

"I would, but I don't want to."
16251 #3052111 07/01/20 11:49 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Ok looking at it some more - in the bass solo at around (man sure wish they had bar numbers but hey it's free..lol ) 2:16 on beat 4 anticipating the next bar, he plays a RH voicing Dom.7b5 voicing against a A Eb G LH shell in the comping.

At beginning of the second chorus of the bass solo at 2:36, he plays an F# triad over a G in the LH.

At 3:05 coming out of the bass solo and playing the first 8 bars of the trading with the drums, he again plays the G C# F# LH shell voicing but plays a little somewhat chromatic melody against it , with an F.

And then at around 3:35 he plays an ultra-hip line outlining a A7+11 chord the first part of the bar connecting it a B triad on top...again delaying the beat a bar. He's playing that where you would usually play the V chord. He continues that lag for the next bar and comes back to home base, sort of, in an 'out way', to the Gm.

A totally masterful control of the time with regard to push and pull...and at that fast tempo it all connects naturally sounding. Again, a beautiful player.

I did look at the Herbie transcription and boy he's all over the place especially in his 4th and 5th chorus with the two handed voicings. I'll post bar numbers with that, as I see the video Al put up has them. I don't know if the video will coincide with the Dobbins book.

One thing I did notice is that in a few places , he doesn't even play the Gm. Instead he'll play a G7 Altered Dom. as the I chord. Really a lotta crazy stuff going on in that masterful solo. shocked

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 07/02/20 12:03 AM. Reason: had the times screwed up
1 member likes this: Mitch Towne

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner 

Link Copied to Clipboard