Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone able to buy a Mechanical License outside US ?

I have recorded my version of a well known MoTown cover song from the 60's.

Not distributed yet.

I acquired a Streaming license from HFA of NY for the song, that covers the US.

They will not cover outside US.

However, SoundCloud, my site of choice, is in every ' territory' around the world, thus the cover would be available everywhere.

Thus I need to find a service that offers the purchase of a " Mechanical License " outside the US, to cover all non US territories.

I am also trying a site called SoundDrop that might offer a non US License- awaiting a reply in a couple of days.

Anyone else solve this kind of copyright challenge ? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you ! The site is easy !

I should see the license in a few days.

It will be interesting in that they asked for the " group " that did the song,

not the song writer. {{. whose name I have}}

[70's Songwriter]

Timely advice; thanks for that link! I had been warned to save such material for Bandcamp vs. Soundcloud, but this makes me more confident I can do either or both.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Timely advice; thanks for that link! I had been warned to save such material for Bandcamp vs. Soundcloud, but this makes me more confident I can do either or both.

hey Mark, I can talk about SC all day long, but you caught my attention with Bandcamp

Does Bandcamp have a decent up front process for allowing recording[ where I have acquired a streaming/mechanics license ]

or use of prior copyrighted material, such as well known covers ?

[70's Songwriter]

Greg, I think so, from what friends have told me, but I haven't signed up for my Bandcamp account yet, and still need to look into details. I bookmarked some webpages a while back, that compare the services and go into the details. But I put all music on hold at end of April when it became clear my job wasn't coming back. I'm in the process tonight of trying to finally register a domain in my name, and a personal website, so that's going to be a prerequisite anyway. I may have more incentive to finally make the Bandcamp move at that point. Too nervous to make music though; I work 24/7 on job hunting, pro bono work for hapless companies in my industry, and open source software that I am preparing to publish to GitHub this weekend. These are desperate times, and getting worse at an alarming rate.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Greg, I think so, from what friends have told me, but I haven't signed up for my Bandcamp account yet, and still need to look into details. I bookmarked some webpages a while back, that compare the services and go into the details. But I put all music on hold at end of April when it became clear my job wasn't coming back. I'm in the process tonight of trying to finally register a domain in my name, and a personal website, so that's going to be a prerequisite anyway. I may have more incentive to finally make the Bandcamp move at that point. Too nervous to make music though; I work 24/7 on job hunting, pro bono work for hapless companies in my industry, and open source software that I am preparing to publish to GitHub this weekend. These are desperate times, and getting worse at an alarming rate.

I hear you, brother, you got the bigger picture.

I have near total freedom with my music projects, I realize I am very lucky.

I haven't bothered with recording any covers for +3 years.

But this time, I have access to quality vocals and have a good song #1 with my backing tracks.

If I solve the licensing hoops with these digital music sites, I am off to the next step.

[70's Songwriter]