Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

De-covidation of a keyboard

I've bought gear since this started. I debox, and wipe down with green clean (I worry about alcohol and some plastic surfaces) and leave in the garage for 24 hours to "air" out. Overkill....but my wife is very high risk.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of information about how long COVID lives on various surfaces, but as of the last meta-study I read (at about 2 million cases), not a single infection has resulted from this. So...wash your hands of both infection and too much worry in this case.

This ^

Not to say you shouldn't be careful and wash your hands, but the main transmission appears to be through breathing the same air as an infected person.

But definitely wash your hands, frequently and often. Viruses typically cannot get into you through "regular" (non-mucosal) skin, so DON"T TOUCH YOUR FACE OR MOUTH (I yell at my 15 year old daughter about this all the time). Or pick your nose. Or stick your finger in your ear. Or into other orifices (no judgement), at least until AFTER you have washed your hands.

Isopropanol or any other alcohol at 70% concentration or more will do the job.

Actually, higher concentrations of alcohol can be less effective. I read a lot on this a few months ago when I was researching making my own hand sanitizer.

Some good info here: https://www.quora.com/Is-70-or-90-isopropyl-alcohol-better-for-disinfecting

This too ^ - In my lab, we dilute our 100% alcohol down to 70% for exactly this reason.

What I would do (having gotten a used keyboard in the middle of the first outbreak).

Let it sit for 72 hours before use, then wipe down the keys and buttons with a damp cloth, wash your hands well before playing the first time, and after the first time you play it, wash your hands again. Should be good. Maybe don"t touch your face or anything until after you wash up for about a week.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This too ^ - In my lab, we dilute our 100% alcohol down to 70% for exactly this reason.

Totally off topic but many years ago I was a summer student volunteering in a neuroscience lab and when things were quiet I loved to spray the 100% ethanol out of the squirt bottle into the fume hood and marvel at how quickly it evaporates.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

There's been a lot of information about how long COVID lives on various surfaces, but as of the last meta-study I read (at about 2 million cases), not a single infection has resulted from this. So...wash your hands of both infection and too much worry in this case.

This ^

Not to say you shouldn't be careful and wash your hands, but the main transmission appears to be through breathing the same air as an infected person.

But definitely wash your hands, frequently and often. Viruses typically cannot get into you through "regular" (non-mucosal) skin, so DON"T TOUCH YOUR FACE OR MOUTH (I yell at my 15 year old daughter about this all the time). Or pick your nose. Or stick your finger in your ear. Or into other orifices (no judgement), at least until AFTER you have washed your hands.

Not only breathing but specifically the nose from an article I read. If true, there's much more chance it will lodge in your nasal passages. Unfortunately you see a lot of people with masks on but it's down under their nose...not good.

Another article talked about using neti pots before sleep as a possible preventative, as there is some evidence the virus doesn't immediately make its way to your lungs, but may do so when you sleep. Could be bunk, but neti pots won't hurt you at least :)

Gah, so many articles! I just stay inside mostly. My kids are the big worry (both from a mental standpoint and a "will they bring it back" standpoint). NO IDEA what I'm going to do in the fall. One will be at college (maybe) and one starting high school (maybe). I say maybe because I think it's an open question whether either will be open for in-person learning. My state is absolutely exploding right now. 5500 new cases today with 15% positive, and less overall tests...

Maybe you can link to this. I follow TWIV podcast since mid January, and I think they would guffaw at your "meta-study". You should send it to them, as they often answer emails.

This Week in Virology

Of course you can get the virus from a surface. It is less a factor in real transmission today than many thought it would be back in March, but there have been mass handwashing campaigns since then anyway.

We know little about this virus and cannot even test for it reliably. Many PCR tests are wrong, we know now. The latest big survey from Italy had 70% of the contageous without symptoms. Meanwhile each week we learn of new long-term complications, like strokes, from C19, even in 30 year olds. Not common, but the numbers add up.

All that said: yes, nothing beats plain alcohol. It must be applied and allowed to sit several minutes before being wiped down. I would do that for sure, but before, I would leave the keyboard in my car several days, windows shut, or in a warm place for that time. Then wipe it.

It appears the virus can't replicate after 3 days on any surface in normal temps, and less time in warmer temps. The latest Fords even have a "decontamination" mode. Motor revs, heat goes on for X time, and after that it's probably safe.

Wait a little, clean it, and dig in :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I"m curious about this study, specifically the methodology they used to arrive at their conclusion that 'not a single infection has resulted from this.' I"m at a loss as to how such a definitive conclusion can be reached.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I'm thinking it's more that they haven't shown a single infection to be definitely caused by surfaces. Doesn't mean there haven't been any, just that it hasn't been proven. Flip side, they've definitely shown tons of cases where the person got it from the air around another infected person. If indeed they show that this can't happen, that would be a pretty big deal but I haven't heard that anyone has said it isn't possible. Just less likely than other ways, probably way less likely.

From the American Society for Microbiology. They review all available sources at the time, which I think was at about 2 million cases. They note the amount of time COVID19 can survive on various surfaces (which are called "fomites"), and then the money shot, which is in the paper itself and also right in the introduction: 'However, it should be noted that there are no documented cases thus far of a COVID-19 infection originating from a fomite.'

Link to article here. Fair warning, it's dry.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

From the American Society for Microbiology. They review all available sources at the time, which I think was at about 2 million cases. They note the amount of time COVID19 can survive on various surfaces (which are called "fomites"), and then the money shot, which is in the paper itself and also right in the introduction: 'However, it should be noted that there are no documented cases thus far of a COVID-19 infection originating from a fomite.'

Link to article here. Fair warning, it's dry.

Thank you for link.

Reminds me of the early days here. Me: there is community spread in our neighbor state, let's start taking measures. Company: there are no documented cases in Idaho. Me: How many have been tested in Idaho? State: We have very few tests and high bar to use one. We became the most infected county in the USA within weeks, and proceeded to spread it to the rest of Idaho and all over the USA as guests returned home from our resort.

IE to regard this paper as evidence the virus is not transmitted via fomites is ridiculous. The exact same thing has been said about the virus and aresols.

This thing is tiny. We can't see it. The tests we use to identify it are......well read up, you may be surpised how limited they are in many ways.

Again all that said fomites are less dangerous than we first thought, likely. TYG. Indoor air is more dangerous than first thought, it now seems.

Anyway, at least use alcohol, let it sit at least 30 secs, preferably longer then wipe off. Safest is to do this after the board sat alone for 24+ hours.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.