Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about Roland Go Piano Action

I'm looking for an inexpensive backup/practice keyboard so I won't need to setup my SK1 everytime after practice/gigs. I'd like a semi weighted keybed to be close to the SK1 or my A100. Is the Go Piano 61 like this? Or is it more of a lighter,synth type action?

Any other suggestions that include decent piano/EP, Clone sounds? I live in a small town in West Virginia and can't try anything. need to buy untried.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played the Go models, but for inexpensive okay feeling boards with decent piano/EP/organ sounds, I'd look at the Numa Compacts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OMG no, forget about it, I have played both the GoPiano and GoKeys the action is just like a very basic Yamaha E series starter keyboard.

A Korg B2N @$430 would be so much better and this N version has a lighter touch keybed.

Or a Numa Compact 2X @$500 may serve you better.

Col

There are several keyboards that would potentially fit the bill, but if you are looking for an affordable & lightweight practice/backup keyboard comparable to the SK1, i would strongly consider looking at the Studiologic Numa Compact 2x. AP, EP and drawbar organ sounds are good and much more than usable. Also, as a bonus, today is the final day of Sweetwater's online version of Gearfest,. They often run special deals on pricing and gear as well during this event, and have a generous return policy if you are not impressed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I have GoKeys I got mainly for my kids. they played it a bunch but now it's in my office. I like to close my office door for 15-20 minutes once a day and play, but with most keyboards the sound of the keys alone is loud enough to be heard through the door, and people can be judgmental. The beauty of the GoKeys is it's virtually silent, literally the quiestest keybed I've "heard."

Not a good substitute for the Fatar action on the Sk1. Very shallow action, feels more toy than pro. I do like that the keys are textured.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I played a gig with a singer who was using one because she didn't want to lug her RD around anymore. Can't blame her on the weight and size, but damn... looks, but does not feel like a piano. I would look elsewhere. I'd bring one to the beach, but not to practice (even light practice).

Are you looking for something you can leave set up at home, while your SK1 travels to/from gigs and practice sessions? What is your budget? Are built-in speakers important to you?

My go-to recommendation for a decent synth-action is Alesis QS 6.1/7.1/6.2 secondhand, although it's strictly a ROMpler (organ samples, not a clonewheel model). If you want a decent action, clonewheel and <88 keys, Vox Continental should be on your shortlist - although it's not a bargain-basement price.

For clonewheel, Roland VR09 is good value and (imho) crap action.

Perhaps a secondhand Kurzweil PC361? Nice action, clonewheel, deep/complex (although logical) OS.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, I'd like to leave it at home setup. I have an amp so built in speakers are not needed. I'd also like to have an extra something in case the SK1 goes down. I'm mostly an organist so don't want a weighted piano style action.

If Nord updates the Stage 3 or Hammond the SK1, or if someone else introduces a great new keyboard I plan to purchase a new one hopefully soon.

In the meantime I'd like something to keep set up. Recent used is OK if nothing new seems appropriate.

2 years ago I ordered that Roland and the Casio CT-X700 to compare. I returned the Roland. I have actually done gigs with the Casio CT-X. The action in the CTX is like feathers.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

It's like a cheap synth action.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

You might want to check out Casio CT-S300. It's less than half the price of the Roland Go but has a surprisingly playable keyboard and is well built for the price. The sounds are OK...but I typically use with a velcroed iPad mini. See these posts for my take on it:

[align:center]CLONK: Picture of CT-S300 with iPad

CLONK: Some of the features I was looking for when I got it

[/align]

I've really enjoyed this is as my "couch rig."

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Does the Casio CT-S300 have Hammond Organ clone sounds?

Yes, there are about a dozen electronic organ sounds, mostly of the Hammondish variety. It sounds like a couple were sampled with slow leslie but you won't get any speed control. Certainly nothing I would use on a real gig but probably fine if your goal is to have a very light load-in for rehearsal.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman