Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How To Increase Hand Size Quickly

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really strange. Why just the left hand?

Are there any other activities you do that you get this reaction from?

It looks like allergic reaction. I had something like it once in my left knee, but that"s because I banged it on the floor under the cap playing with my 2 month old.

My brother had something like it in both feet as a kid. He was allergic to penicillin.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Oh, wait...Bones did that to Kirk by giving him a shot, then gave him another shot to cure it. Go see Bones, he'll get you fixed right up.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Got stung by a couple of bees on Thursday - once in the base of the thumb and once above the elbow. I've only gotten stung one other occurrence 3 years ago or so, but like 7 times. It seems to get worse each time and coincides with what I'm reading about anaphylaxis.

Severe headache and nausea for a couple of hours and hives on my legs and maybe elsewhere. I had my phone at the ready in case I felt my breathing go south but fortunately not that bad. Couple of doses of Benadryl yesterday and most of the swelling has subsided today.

Oh, wait...Bones did that to Kirk by giving him a shot, then gave him another shot to cure it. Go see Bones, he'll get you fixed right up.

Grey

I texted my daughter the pics and captioned it "Numb Tongue" :D

Man I hate those little F**kers. This time at least my doc prescribed an EpiPen in case of future occurrence.

Was mowing the lawn a few years ago and drove over a next in the ground. Nine bee stings. Felt a little weird for a couple of hours...sort of this dizzy-ish malaise...but okay after that. Find that nest and nuke it! Have someone else do it, of course... :cool:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Wow. Get well soon.

Be thankful it was bees and not wasps.

Thanks Mike. I got stung by a wasp when I was a kid. I remember it as hurting a lot more but I had no side effects.

But who knows today?

My second sting was due to the "annihilate all" assault on the nest under the dry-rot garden timbers I was attempting to remove. I was maybe 6 feet or so away and spraying flying insect foam. One of them made it through and I could actually see him in flight come straight for me. IIRC that's the one that got my hand.

I'm sure any that survived ended up posting pics of their swollen wings :Python:.

At least with a wasp there's no poison, just hurts, right? I'm allergic to bees and even just one will swell me way up.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Next time you want your left hand to be bigger, just hold it closer to the lens than your right hand; We'll all be convinced, and it hurts much less.

I feel your pain. Some years back, after 4 stings on an ankle (yellow jackets, which are wasps -- hard to tell from ground-nesting bees), the doc was concerned enough by the amount of swelling / metabolic symptoms that she prescribed an epi-pen. It appears that my allergy to stings is increasing as I age. I wonder if the 4-year-old epi-pen is still potent...

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Markey, I am so sorry to hear this! I know it hurts, the last time I tangled with Yellow Jackets mowing grass, I was woosy/sick to my stomach for several hours. Head ache followed and I did not feel right for a day or so!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Was mowing the lawn a few years ago and drove over a next in the ground. Nine bee stings. Felt a little weird for a couple of hours...sort of this dizzy-ish malaise...but okay after that. Find that nest and nuke it! Have someone else do it, of course... :cool:

STOP!

I MEAN FULL STOP!

We need to talk.

Bees...honey bees (Apis mellifera), that is, do NOT live in the ground. Bumble bees (Apis bombus) do live in the ground, but are not typically going to come after you in quantity--their nests are not generally all that large, not to mention the fact that they're conspicuously larger than bees--something that people tend to notice.

If Moonglow ran over a nest in the ground, that's most likely yellowjackets (there are various critters that come under the yellowjacket label and there's some overlap with hornets, too...yes, it can get confusing).

Obviously, I don't know what critter came after Markyboard, and the idea that they were living in old wood doesn't rule out honey bees, although it strikes me as unlikely. Honey bees have a sort of mental calculus that they go through when they're looking for a new home and tops on the list is a certain amount of open space. Not knowing what the wood pile looked like, I can't say that it was too tight for bees, but wood piles are typically just not that high on their list of prospective homes. For one thing, they prefer to be higher off the ground if possible.

Wasps (particularly paper wasps) or yellowjackets (living in the ground under the wood, perhaps?) would be my first guesses for Markyboard's assailants.

Okay, so why am I making a fuss about this? Because I've been keeping bees for 25 years or so and I'm having an increasingly hard time keeping them alive from year to year. A lot of it's due to herbicides and pesticides, but there are still people who panic when they see anything with wings and a pointy butt...then out comes the bug spray. Yes, bees can cause an anaphylactic reaction, and having been stung many, many times, I can attest that their stings hurt, but please, please, please don't kill them unnecessarily. And please don't blame them for stings due to other critters. I and other bee keepers are having a hard enough time as it is without having people give "bees" a bad rap.

Any chance of posting a picture of one of the gals that stung you for ID purposes?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Thank you for educating me about bees, yellowjackets, etc. I ended up dumping some gas in the hole that contained their nest and that was the end of them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If resorting to gasoline, it actually works better for killing bugs (whether fire ants, or whatnot) if you don't light it. The fumes poison/suffocate the bugs. If you light the gasoline, it draws air into the hive to feed the flames, so the bugs get a fresh supply of air. No--very little of the heat reaches down into the hive, so you're not going to kill them that way.

Note that this is worse for the environment because the gasoline enters the soil and can pollute the water and soil.

Use boiling water instead.

Grey

Any chance of posting a picture of one of the gals that stung you for ID purposes?

Grey

I spotted a couple today hovering around the Hosta plants where we went at it. I'm fairly certain these are yellow jackets and not honey bees. I'm not saying they live in the wood itself, more likely in the ground around the plants. This was definitely the case a few years ago when I got stung. Btw It's not a wood pile but up to 3 stacked timbers on the ground used as a border between the gardens and the lawn.

I'll pass on taking a pic as I only have my phone camera and I'd have to get closer than I'd like.

I know where you're coming from Gray. We stayed at an Air Bee&Bee a couple of years ago where the owner maintained honey bees. It was quite fascinating and I liked those guys. But these yellow jackets are a nuisance and have broken any treaties that were in place. Evictions are back on the table here in VA and these have to go.

Let it Bee...not in my yard. :mad::saber:

I'm not a big fan of yellowjackets. They're okay as long as you're not near their nests. In fact, I've stepped on them (literally) in the fall when they tend to hover just above the ground as they search for food, and they just shake themselves off and fly away.

But...

Get near one of their nests and they will tear you a new asshole. The problem is that their nests are close to invisible, being only a hole in the ground about the size of the end of your finger and it's not unusual for that to be hidden under something else.

Once upon a time, my uncle came to me and told me that he had a cherry tree down on his land in the hills...did I want the wood? Being a woodworker guy, I'm not one to turn down free black cherry, so I said yes. Well, it turned out that there was a yellowjacket nest right next to the tree. Worse yet, there was poison ivy. Needless to say, the yellowjackets had a field day with me and managed to tattoo the poison ivy juice into my skin. I washed thoroughly, but was only able to get the surface. The subcutaneous stuff was there to stay. I don't remember how many stings I got--at least eight or ten--but the combination of the stings and poison ivy made me pretty miserable.

So although yellowjackets do play a role as pollinators, I'd just as soon let my bees do the job and terminate the yellowjackets with extreme prejudice. I dasn't like them at all.

Grey

my doc prescribed an EpiPen in case of future occurrence
Very wise to have one of those around! When I was a kid I started developing an anaphylactic reaction after an allergy shot, and let me tell you that was not fun at all.