Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Xils-Lab has just released a Sennheiser VSM201 Vocoder clone

https://www.xils-lab.com/products/xils-201-vocoder-p-165.html

Also a bundle price with their other excellent vocoders, modeled after EMS 5000, and Roland VP-330.

But many consider the Sennheiser to be the one that rules them all.

I have no experience with the original, so my favourite for decades has been the EMS model.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL that's worth more than my entire live and home rig including all my software (maybe, I'd have to do the math and that sounds tedious!).

The number of times I might actually use a vocoder on tunes is pretty low. That said, if I had that Moog it would be on EVERY song, especially live! "Stokely, that Jim Croce tune...I'm not sure a vocoder works for that..." "OOOAAAPERAAAATOOOOR"

Yeah, just get the Moog, or maybe instead pay $20 for this Sennheiser clone. :-)

That's all it cost me in the suite upgrade from the EMS 5000 emulation (XILS 5000) plus a 30% coupon from January that surprisingly was still valid.

The Audio Units version failed validation in Digital Performer, as often happens with Xils-Lab plug-ins, but the VST2 and VST3 plug-ins passed.

Initial window size is humongous; almost a full 27" screen. The alternate size is roughly ¼ that size in area (i.e. half the width and about half the height).

I spent the entire day in job interviews on the phone, and pro bono engineering work, so I didn't have time to try it yet on my two "challenge" projects.

Hopefully tomorrow, as I think I'm near a good stopping point. I've barely done any music since end of April! Being unemployed is a full-time job!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I wish I could use low cost plugins Live.

FL Studio with auto tune and vocoders sound fine because you can crank them, EQ, merge copies for thicker sound, etc.

Live those dogs won"t hunt. To get them to work you need so much gain and EQ you start getting feedback and crappy artifacts.

TC VoiceRack with the programmable MP75 mic and an EHX V256 sounds awesome and super thick.

But damn, it cost me 1300 bucks.

Even my foul voice sounds good. I was a singing fool for a few days.

It"s the same with a software talk box compared to a Dunlop or other hardware pedals and a Guitar.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic