Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joey D with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great show! One small thing, I thought Joey didn't read but he has charts all over the organ and he seems to be using them.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Great show! One small thing, I thought Joey didn't read but he has charts all over the organ and he seems to be using them.

Bob

It"s a big band, so the arrangements are pretty well planned. A lot to remember for a one night show. The chart gives him road map of the arrangements and what"s unique about the harmonizations. Very different from a small combo where he gets to make all those decisions.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I get that but I read in an interview some years ago that he didn't read music at all as in zero and did everything by ear. I doubted that then but others have said that too. There are threads about needing to read and many say no and give examples of famous players who don't and Joey is usually included in that. I'm one who says, yes you should read and I've always thought that a guy at his level and growing up with Papa John as a father had to know something about reading music even if he can't read as well as the classically trained players can. Iow, that whole thing about famous keyboard players who can't read a note is mostly urban legend.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Quote from an interview on All About Jazz:

'My father was my only formal teacher as such. Later on, I went to the Settlement Music School to study classical piano. But I basically picked up music just from listening. I had a really good ear.'